Jigging for Big Lake Trout in Horse Lake

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing Forum' started by Ben Fougere, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Ben Fougere

Ben Fougere Member

We caught some big lake trout in Horse Lake while learning how to jig for them. Time for a bigger net. Here's our video:

2. leaseman

leaseman Active Member

Thanks for sharing! Really enjoyed watching....

What a lot of fun!

Ben Fougere likes this.
  3. Ben Fougere

Ben Fougere Member

I'm glad you liked it. We had a lot of fun as well :)

4. Fishboy89

Fishboy89 Member

Nice video! We fished Horse lake many years ago for Kokanee, wish we had tried jigging!

Ben Fougere likes this.
  5. DyingBreed

DyingBreed New Member

Such a good video, thanks for sharing. Two questions for you if you dont mind sharing.
    1. What type of boat is that? 14ft smokercraft alaskan?
    2. Do you mark fish on your depth sounder before you start jigging an area?

Ben Fougere likes this.
  6. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Well-Known Member

looks like a Lund SV14 to me.

Ben Fougere and DyingBreed like this.
  7. spring fever

spring fever Well-Known Member

Great video-really enjoyed it. I am working on a 14ft smokercraft alaskan rated for 35 hp-what do you have on your boat? What Lund is it? I don't have power yet-What do you recommend ?Thanks

Ben Fougere likes this.
  8. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Well-Known Member

I can tell you what we have . 14ft Lund sv. 20hp Mercury 4 stroke. with 2 people and all gear. 2 electric Scotties etc easy cruise at 18mph. can hit 24mph if wide open and dead calm.

Ben Fougere likes this.
  9. Ben Fougere

Ben Fougere Member

We have a 14ft Lund with a 15hp Mercury. I love the split benches in the back.

I mark the fish on my fish finder then send my jig down.

10. DyingBreed

DyingBreed New Member

Thanks for the reply, really liking your Facebook page. Ive had a 12ft smokercraft for 10yrs but am just getting serious into kokanee fishing. Got my downriggers setup, two new rods (luhr jensen & velocity ninja), a pile of tackle, just need some reels and days off lol

Ben Fougere likes this.
  11. Ben Fougere

Ben Fougere Member

I'm glad you're enjoyed our Facebook group. We love promoting kokanee fishing in British Columbia. Afterall, who doesn't love to eat fresh landlocked sockeye salmon? The reels and days off will definitely come in due time. It took us a while to build up our gear to what we have now. There will always be something you "want." Usually, if you're like me, you'll have everything you need. Time to plan an ice fishing trip for kokanee now :)

DyingBreed likes this.
  12. halimark

halimark Well-Known Member

Excellent video. The boy's enthusiasm and excitement=priceless. Good job.

HM