It's Been A Hard Few Days Here...Lost My Best Buddy.

Dave H

After breakfast yesterday morning, Wed, I grabbed the last sausage on my plate and started wrapping it in a napkin, as I've done so many times before.
Then I realized I had no dog to take it home to anymore, as he'd crossed the Rainbow Bridge Tuesday morning.
Old habits do die hard.

Anyway, after 15 1/2 years of life, 14 1/2 with me, time ran out on my little Buddy and his days of mooching treats on the Tyee Spit have ended.
He was very good at mooching and always remembered who had produced a treat previously and would pull like the lead dog on an Iditarod race team when he saw them coming.
Tyee Spit regulars will remember him I'm sure, as will some of my rod-holders from Tyee season.

Here's a few photos of him throughout his times.

The first one.

My hoary old joke is that I tried to teach him to row my Tyee rowboat, so I could fish myself, but all he ever did was Dog-paddle.
BuddyRowboat.jpg

The next pic is from but six days ago, early in the morning, on his last walk out on the Spit. He didn't get far and was happy to get home that morning. Always high-spirited and with his tail erect. He was a happy dog and well known.

BuddyLastWalkSpit.jpg

He was also a classic example of "a willing spirit but the flesh is weak", insofar as he never lost his zest for life but his body just got so weak that he couldn't walk long without staggering or nearly falling over. He'd both fall up the stairs and sometimes down the stairs. It was always an adventure.
Really tough to watch and indicative of his physical failings.
Really miss the little bugger already but time will heal that feeling and this isn't my first big loss.

In memory of Buddy, pet a strange dog or slip them a treat, with the owner's permission of course.
Buddy would like that.

Here’s one last pic when he was just back from his groomer.

BuddyBandana.jpg

He really was a handsome puppy.

Take care.

Sorry to read of your loss. A dog’s love is always unconditional and they are always happy to see us. Enriches our lives for sure.

It’s never easy, they are such an integral part of out lives.

He was a beautiful soul. Looked so happy and healthy. Lucky that you two found each other.
Sorry Dave

Dave
I feel your pain. My condolences.
We lost our last dog at just 4 years old to cancer. It was heart breaking. I have found from previous losses that the best thing to do is get another ASAP. We found a 10 month old replacement within a month - that was 3 years ago. Best thing you can do for yourself.
Be happy Buddy was with you for 14 1/2 years.
RIP Buddy
Stosh

Feel your pain Dave, I’Ve had to put down 2 Newfoundland’s and a black lab. It hurts, but I have a 6 yr lab who has kept me going when I was sick and and going through my recovery. Always happy when you come through the door

So sorry for your lost Dave. Just lost my dog Luna on June 4 after almost 11 years to kidney failure and am still trying to get over it. Still keep catching myself getting ready for a walk or going to the door to let her in.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments and they do help.
It's funny the little things I catch myself still doing, part of the things that were so common to us after 10 years.
He'd lurk under my chair, waiting for an errant biscuit to wander within range, so I'd dangle my arm over the side and then feel his gentle nose checking my hand, just in case there was one there.

Last night, as I was finishing an ice cream bar, I left a bit on the stick, as usual, intending to dangle my arm over the side so he could lick it off, but then caught myself. Stuff like that happens. I look over to where his water dish was, checking to see if it needs fresh water, but there's no dish there now, only the memory of it.
I miss the sounds he made when he wanted attention, his little sharp bark and the tilted head quizzical look he'd give me, followed by the universal dog "play bow" stretch that indicates it's all for fun.
We had down and dirty extended battles over biscuits when I'd put one down then claim it was mine and he couldn't have it. He would work so diligently to get past my two fingered defense of the biscuit it would crack me up sometimes. We'd both make all the appropriate noises, growling and howling at each other as the battle raged. Naturally he always won in the end and scored his treat.
Thanks for bearing with me a bit as it helps me when I type out some memories from being Buddy's Man-servant, and each memory makes me smile. Here we are back in 2010 or so rowing my 10' Davidson dinghy in the Tyee Pool. He was keeping an eye on things.

DaBuddyBoat.jpg

Take care.

I don't know you Dave but I know your pain. I have had to put down 6 best buddies in my life and cried at every one. Gave them all a great life, as I'm sure you did ,but I know they gave me more

sorry for your loss we to lost our boy of 15 years like I was told they leave just enough room in your heart for another...so we got 2!! Love and light your way my dog brother

So sorry to hear of your loss Dave. Dogs are great at bringing us joy and companionship. I hope you get a chance to find a new canine friend. When the time is right of course.

Oly

Sorry for your loss. So sad you lose your buddy. I have this on the horizon myself

Sorry to hear of your loss Dave. I know those feeling well, as I've had dogs all my life. I know that we'll all be together later though!

Sincere Condolences on the loss of your Fur Kid Dave.
They are indeed Family, and it hurts like hell to let them go.
Still smarting over losing The BoogyMan a couple years back now.

Will be keeping you, and him, in my thoughts and prayers...

Sadly,
Matt

Toughest day in my life having to put down my last dog after 17 years. Took 3 years to be ready for another. Sounds like you two had a great life together. Yes, a very handsome fellow indeed.

Back