Islander MR2 or MR3?

Franko Manini

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about Islander vs Trophy vs Abel and others. For those of you who fish islanders, or have fished them, which do you prefer and why? The MR2 of course has the free spool lever, but you cannot convert it to a lefty reel. The MR3 has a larger arbour, more line capacity, and can run either right or left handed, but it does not have a free spool.

Definitely going to get lots of opinions depending on what needs people have. For me....I'm not a lefty so I wasn't too concerned about this option....but nice to have I guess. The free spool doesn't really do anything for me except a few more birds nest's to deal with when some newby tries to "help" me out....lol I do understand why people like it though. For me having all MR3's the biggest thing was the bigger arbour and on a lesser note the line capacity.

I have the same question as Franco...There is a LA (Large Arbour) MR2. How much of the LA version- I don't know if all new MR2s are LA and how much does that get you closer to the capacity and uptake of the MR3? Also, is the free spool somewhat regulated or do you have to palm it when using it to drop down with a downrigger or dropping a mooching rig?

I have the same question as Franco...There is a LA (Large Arbour) MR2. How much of the LA version- I don't know if all new MR2s are LA and how much does that get you closer to the capacity and uptake of the MR3? Also, is the free spool somewhat regulated or do you have to palm it when using it to drop down with a downrigger or dropping a mooching rig?

The new MR2s are all MR2LA (i.e. with a large arbour) according the the Islander website. The MR2LA specifications indicate it has a capacity of 360 yards of 30# mono. The MR3 is listed as having a 350 yard capacity for the same line. The free spool is just that - free. There is no drag at all (except whatever minimal friction is inherent in the design of the bearings). You need to palm the reel or control it in some way to prevent backlash.

Get the MR3. $350-$400 used in good shape out there. $450-$ 525 for excellent to new.

Bearings and cork drag if abused add up....not to mention your time and effort to fix it.

MR2's in good-excellent shape are somewhat hard to come by and best suited to shallow fishing. The retrieve is definitely more sporting than a MR3 which is like a winch on anything 20 pounds or under.

I prefer the drag on the MR-2. The MR -3 is harder to get the sweet spot...a slight knob adjustment results in to drastic a change in drag. If it is to loose you can adjust it slightly and it's now to tight.

I have one of each and like them both. The reason I have one of each is my boat is limited on how many rods I can bring. If I feel like dropping a line to bottom and jigging a bit I can do it with my MR2 I don't need another reel and rod on board.

I'm running a Charter boat and I definitely do not like the free spool customers bird nest everything if they get the opportunity. If you use the MR-3enough you can find the "sweet spot" pretty easy. Plus the MR-3 in my opinion has a better drag and definitely more line.
Bret

I've run charters for 32 years and actually tested one of 6 MR-3 prototypes for Islander . That was the feedback I gave them after using it for a season and before they went into production. I use them both but prefer the 2. Both hold more than enough line.

Back