Islander handle trouble help pls

Tugcapitan

Islander MR2 freshly spooled with maxima. I ordered and recieved the paddle handle conversion kit from "Wildthing" after finally getting sick of having the small black knobs make me feel like my hands had arthritis. During removal of knobs and installation of paddles I noticed some corrosion in the handle post that I couldn't blow out. So I carefully inserted the small red nozzle on a can of brake clean and blew it out that way. On a the 4th and last handle I got careless and some brake clean dribbled out of the post and onto my new maxima. Damnit. Knowing what that stuff does to nitrile gloves and plastic bags I'm assuming the new line is toast even though I rinsed it off....
Anyhow, I also noticed the 4th handle post is "spinning" in place on the reel where the other 3 are fixed. Couldn't find the part number on the net and have never had to replace one of these before. I've had to replace numerous other parts on them in the 18 years I've had them...
Any suggestions?
Also, after doing the conversion or taking handles off, have any of you used loctite on the handle screws to keep them in?
Thanks

loctite is pretty good stuff. I haven't had the luxury of playing with an islander but I would think loctite should be up to the task. I would think 242 (red), 243(blue), or 640(green) should work OK. the red (fairly permanent) will require heat to remove. the blue may be a better choice overall. they also make a product for use on smaller fasteners but I can't remember the number off hand. but the 243 should work just fine.
http://www.loctite.com.au/your-solution-4041.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Answer found.
Strip enough line off the reel to access the 1/16 Allan head screw that secures the post and tighten it up!
Blue loctite recommended by Islander.

was going to say the post has a lock screw
i have one on my 3 that is spinning once the line is taken off will tighten it down and swop it off for a shimano paddle
just use the end of a needle when doing the lok-tite as a big blob will be to much .
think of it like super glue.......

Back