IPHC Halibut Forecast - further declines

What is your preference if Canada gets less halibut TAC?

• Keep 2 under 90cm or choice of 1 under 126 cm and March start with early close in August?

Votes: 24 17.6%
  • Keep same regs as 2019, but start season later in June to protect summer season June - Aug?

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Move to only 1 fish from 2, but keep larger size (126cm) - March start with possible early close?

Votes: 62 45.6%
  • Move to only 1 fish, but keep larger size (126cm) - late start (June) - protect summer season?

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Keep 2 fish option, but lower size limit - 2 at 90cm with March start and possible early close

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Keep 2 fish option, but lower size limit - 2 at 90cm with late start (June) to protect summer season

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
WE are not allowed past sheringham point as of aug 1 and 2 years ago (2018)we were not allowed past otter point . amazing how people who dont fish this area much forget these issues and facts are facts. Maybe they need to ask the people who are actually out there everyday ... OH right I said that in meeting about 8 years ago I volunteered to keep track of what I saw and what I know was going on out there as all us guides and friends kinda know whos fishing and catching ....

REPLY oh we cant use that as its hearsay evidence???? I then said well what the hell is creel then????
I can bet you the august numbers and the October numbers are based on flyover when salmon fishing was open they saw lots of boats ESPECIALLY in october with guys out to tide lines chasing coho (i was one of them) they cant seem to figure out who is salmon and who is halibut fishing.....

Amazing how people who dont fish this area much forget these issues and facts are facts. Maybe they need to ask the people who are actually out there everyday .

Really? I actually forgot about 2018 closure, but what is with the comment?

Last edited:
Can you link us to these numbers?

The are specific numbers posted were for 2018, The only area specific numbers posted for 2019 i've seen are this. The final 2019 look like they will be available in January 2020.

Just for clarification

2019 *incomplete*

index.php

index.php

From what I see the 2019 regs designed by the SFAB accomplished the task of providing decent opportunity for all areas and created a full season (March to Dec). Seeing as we are likely to finish the season with an underage, the choice option worked well. In a perfect world from my personal perspective I would love to see us roll over the 2019 regs for 2020. Hoping Canada is successful in achieving a decent TAC allocation. We have a very good team representing Canada and I have total confidence in their abilities. That said, the IPHC staff reports on stock assessment are not indicating status quo, so we would be wise to consider options for working with what we get for TAC, which seems pretty likely to be less than 2019.

This early vs late season argument is frustrating. No one area should dictate what decisions are reached, this is a coast-wide TAC that must be equitably shared. My thinking is that should be guided objectively by what the actual use of TAC tells us. If more people use it early, and we can run an early fishery that can predictably cover the core summer months of May to September, then that should represent a fair approach. Conversely, if the numbers show fall is more popular, then so beit. We can't have both if there isn't enough TAC...and if by some miracle we have similar TAC as we had in 2019, I'm all for a roll over of those regulations for 2020.

or even a slight reduction roll over ;);):D

Cut out March and save 30k. Normal weather would be at least another 40k (5%!). And we only used half our mortality so that’d be another 40k if Sfab can gwt Dfo to lower that. There’s 110,000 lbs in savings. Let’s say even just 80k to be safe. Plus the 40k we didn’t use this year is 120k!!!

We all look at it from our personal perspective.
From the perspective of those sport and guided fishers from Sooke to Sidney we could live with a Halibut closure for the entire month of August.
How many pounds would that save???

Trying to affect the least number of people. Area 12, apparently, catches fish in March too. Not pitting region vs region. But most good for most number.

Cut out March and save 30k. Normal weather would be at least another 40k (5%!). And we only used half our mortality so that’d be another 40k if Sfab can gwt Dfo to lower that. There’s 110,000 lbs in savings. Let’s say even just 80k to be safe. Plus the 40k we didn’t use this year is 120k!!!

You know what ill say since no one else will Serengeti you look after one thing. YOURSELF and thats is a shame you ,,want and want and want.... but never give its all about you and what you can take.

Im sorry if I have offended "you people" but enough is enough have to think coastwide not just for you personally

Bang on fogged....

Trying to affect the least number of people. Area 12, apparently, catches fish in March too. Not pitting region vs region. But most good for most number.

you could cut out september and accomplish the same thing, Ultimately if we talk about cutting out months there's going to be a lock and the easiest thing will just be to lower the max size.

as long is halibut is open you can still sell the opportunity. From the Poll tho, lowering the max size is the least popular option.

You know what ill say since no one else will Serengeti you look after one thing. YOURSELF and thats is a shame you ,,want and want and want.... but never give its all about you and what you can take.

Im sorry if I have offended "you people" but enough is enough have to think coastwide not just for you personally

Bang on fogged....

Ok. You’re wrong. To prove that I’d be ok with September being closed then (have 7 days of charters then) if it means same regs or better than 2019 for rest of season. Thing is don’t need the amount of savings that September would bring (so would be overkill), whereas March is 30k which is about what we would need with other factors included. Stomp your feet louder wolf, still can’t quite hear you over here :p

It’s obvious lowering max size is least popular so shouldn’t occur. Even in sfac meeting I was at in November we voted for a shorter season rather than lowering size.

And to say you’re not in it for yourself and area too is a blatant lie.

Last edited:
Serengetti you just don't get it. By giving up March you are asking Sooke and Victoria to take yet another hit and spare everyone else their season. AHHHHH NOOOOO...get it!?!

Agree with Rollie if you fished that area you would understand it is not in slightest like Port Hardy. March is prime time month for halibut, and fishable currents. Like your summer. I think we have heard loud and clear people want a long season. And if that is so then one has to give. Unfortunately the size of the halibut or lose the second one would be the choice can't see getting around it.

Lets hope we don't have to do anything.

As I recall the north SFAB wanted 2 fish as there average size is around 10 pounds.

Agree with Rollie if you fished that area you would understand it is not in slightest like Port Hardy. March is prime time month for halibut, and fishable currents. Like your summer. I think we have heard loud and clear people want a long season. And if that is so then one has to give. Unfortunately the size of the halibut or lose the second one would be the choice can't see getting around it.

Lets hope we don't have to do anything.

have we though? From my understanding sfacs did not vote that way. And that’s what our reps are supposed to use ...

but agree. Let’s hope. I just hope SFaB hali board realizes the anomaly that was this season weather and knowing pressure will decrease. Firm believer that we will be only a slight reduction (iphc asks every year for huge reduction, right pat?) and we will easily get through season with same regs. Im batting 85% when it comes to this haha

Nope read our Area 17 meeting notes I sent them out to our group. You are on that list. Look at the motion and what it said. You were there.

Hell take September too......but leave me the rest outside of the spawning season

I think a way can be found to meet the quota and not take time away from anyone. But asking one area to give up prime time while everyone else carries on is going to cause a knee jerk reaction every time. Everyone should share the pain if there is any coming.....which would minimize it's impact.

Back