IPHC Halibut Forecast - further declines

What is your preference if Canada gets less halibut TAC?

• Keep 2 under 90cm or choice of 1 under 126 cm and March start with early close in August?

Votes: 24 17.6%
  • Keep same regs as 2019, but start season later in June to protect summer season June - Aug?

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Move to only 1 fish from 2, but keep larger size (126cm) - March start with possible early close?

Votes: 62 45.6%
  • Move to only 1 fish, but keep larger size (126cm) - late start (June) - protect summer season?

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Keep 2 fish option, but lower size limit - 2 at 90cm with March start and possible early close

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Keep 2 fish option, but lower size limit - 2 at 90cm with late start (June) to protect summer season

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
Same thing happens in Sooke when there is a sockeye opening. A sockeye opening now is a 1 in 4 year event at most now so when it happens the fleet is out in force after them. The trouble is the fly over count doesn't differentiate between the 80% of the boats fishing the tidelines for sockeye and the 20% fishing the shore for Chinook. So the Chinook catch goes through the roof....even in a year when Chinook fishing was way sub average. This happened in 2018.

How many guides handing logbooks from your area in 2018? That is a typical scenario where if most of the guides working that day were handing them in the data would be used vs. the flyby.

How many guides handing logbooks from your area in 2018? That is a typical scenario where if most of the guides working that day were handing them in the data would be used vs. the flyby.
WHY would we when we were lied to 3 times in the last 12 years we supplied them with info and they said they were going to "work" with us and the stuffed us in the butt 3 times no different then going back for a beating husband you get to the point when enough is enough, REMEMBER we have had closures for 12 YEARS not just one like the rest of island. I said 10 years ago we needed help people said whats the big deal "not effecting my back yard" your never gonna win this fight as they dont listen to us last 3 years I can tell you its a ghost town and you of all people know that. I LIVE HERE I see it how badly it has killed our community.
all i hear is data data data well GLG put it up area 19/20 was the lowest taker and yet we get hammered the most why ???? pick on the lowest hanging fruit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would gladly fill out a log book **** id be the first one to sign up again and this is a BIG IF .... IF we were allowed to fish again and IF we were allowed to retain a fish and IF we had a announced season not 12 hours before last year it was a total ghost town. I recall a day last year i put in my own log book morning flood tide off of otter point total number of boats 3 on a flat calm sunny day how do you get data from 3 boats...???

Agree with Wolf, last year was a ghost town at the marinas and at normally bumper boat close spots. I posted this many times as I did play C & R and salmon fishing was hot. Allowing smaller hali only changes this fishing, am I driving any where for a ping pong. Hooking fish like below is fun, more fun releasing safely these big girls. Must say I struggled to get a keeper last year and the closed season on snapper makes me fish shallow.

With current Gov it does not matter what rec fishers do, data is ignored, proven history from knowledgeable people discarded, we do not matter, this was blatant at meetings on SRKW, plan was set before meetings, meetings were only to "appease" us fool rec fishers, only people current Gov listen too are the FN and NGO's who's only real plan is our extinction. That's undisputable fact. I do foresee in my lifetime only FN will be fishing on Canadas West Coast. Who voted the return of these fools? Now the start of the annual TAC craziness starts. What's that definition of crazy?

HM

Attachments

• thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 37
Just in case some of the posters on this thread have not read the summary of 2018 season that was submitted to IPHC from Canada, here is a link so that you can.
https://iphc.int/uploads/pdf/am/2019am/iphc-2019-am095-ar09.pdf

Not sure when the summary of 2019 will get posted but hopefully when it comes out it gets here so that it can help us make better decisions.

IMHO I don't want to see the double whammy of less opportunities for salmon and halibut that having a delayed opening will do to our friends and members in area 19/20 when better solutions are available.

Just in case some of the posters on this thread have not read the summary of 2018 season that was submitted to IPHC from Canada, here is a link so that you can.

Not sure when the summary of 2019 will get posted but hopefully when it comes out it gets here so that it can help us make better decisions.

IMHO I don't want to see the double whammy of less opportunities for salmon and halibut that having a delayed opening will do to our friends and members in area 19/20 when better solutions are available.

30 days prior to February 4?

https://iphc.int/uploads/pdf/cir/2019/iphc-2019-cr-028.pdf

107. The Commission NOTED that information concerning the meeting, including electronic versions of documents to be considered, will be published on the meeting webpages as they become available, but IPHC-2019-IM095-R Page 18 of 29 no later than 30 days prior to the commencement of each meeting, in accordance with Rule 8.4 of the IPHC Rules of Procedure (2019),

as follows: • 96th Session of the IPHC Finance and Administration Committee (FAC096): 3 February 2020 • 96th Session of the IPHC Annual Meeting (AM096): 3-7 February 2020 • 90th Session of the IPHC Conference Board (CB090): 4-6 February 2020 • 25th Session of the IPHC Processor Advisory Board (PAB025): 4-6 February 2020

Due: 04 Jan 2020

https://iphc.int/venues/details/96th-session-of-the-iphc-annual-meeting-am096

upload_2019-12-13_13-34-13.png

There goes my lunch break, Thanks for the Link GLG

From the data it appears we are going to be about 4% or 40k under this year. Discard mortality we only used up 50% of. So to much was put aside.

Fishery statistics (2019)

https://iphc.int/uploads/pdf/im/im095/iphc-2019-im095-05.pdf
upload_2019-12-13_13-56-49.png
upload_2019-12-13_13-54-33.png

Also of not I would not categorise 40k under as a small amount considering some areas don't even harvest that amount all year From 2018. SG may be right roll the dice and go with this years regs

upload_2019-12-13_14-14-16.png

Last edited:
I am thinking those numbers are a tab bit off especially in area 19/20 for the august months I can tell you personally not alot of people fished in august for halibut as it was our only month to fish for salmon unlike the rest of the areas and also from aug 1 you were not allowed past sheringham pt I was out everyday and hardly anyone fish in between race and sheringham pt for halibut also we all know the spots west race then bluffs then the bays so I call bull on those numbers and especially the october number there is no way in HELL that october out fished april not enough people were out but hey if thats the data thats being used then the numbers for area 1 to 5 21 to 126 inclusive should have tighter restrictions implemented on them as they take the most??? I say voodoo match by this is quite in place fidge the numbers to look like they are doing a "great" job

But common sense is a super power

Those numbers in 19/20 in spring should be way higher. Just my opinion . I bet you 19/20 numbers are being way under reported. Most likely the other areas are more in line as they would be more accurate with the logbooks etc. I do agree that the number should not be that high in August 19/20. Although some guys do anchor in Jordan River that month.

Nevertheless we are really drifting off topic focusing on arguing over data, and the way it suits each area. What are we going to do with the fact that we want a long season and don't have enough TAC to cover? I see zero budging from anyone on here.

I saw a few interesting options on here, but not sure how they would work. Are rolling closures an option? Just asking.

Prediction is same season small fish because no wants to compromise.

Last edited:
last year I didn’t have a single guest call and ask if we were open for retention . This year had over a handful of returns call and make sure open for 2020. The damage is done. Will be Less guides on water. Will be Less recs on water as hallmark pointed out ... bet my house on it
100% right. I was always worried about 2020, and especially worried that the political types would look at all the people who had already committed to their vacation plans in 2019 who came here despite the restrictions... and reach the false conclusion that there was no damage caused by the management measures. Well, think again. These people are spending discretionary dollars and any uncertainly will lead to people making different decisions in 2020 because they are not tied to bookings and have lots of time to look around. Already hearing about several guide buddies who made the difficult heartbreaking decision to leave the industry. The talent and skills of these people can not be replaced.

OMG this is funny we have to laugh at this. Go look at 2018. Weall are making same comments. LOLOL

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/halibut-opening.68263/page-13#post-861156

there is also one in 2017 in september when everyone is freaking out that it closed early. That thread despite all the pissing match resulted in and option for 2019 that I think was very good and it also proved that having an OR option did not use up tac that much faster.

It is alot more tame them it used to be, and I think talking about all of it is good thing regardless. Look at 2018 Even Wolf thanking GLG LOLOL

From what I see the 2019 regs designed by the SFAB accomplished the task of providing decent opportunity for all areas and created a full season (March to Dec). Seeing as we are likely to finish the season with an underage, the choice option worked well. In a perfect world from my personal perspective I would love to see us roll over the 2019 regs for 2020. Hoping Canada is successful in achieving a decent TAC allocation. We have a very good team representing Canada and I have total confidence in their abilities. That said, the IPHC staff reports on stock assessment are not indicating status quo, so we would be wise to consider options for working with what we get for TAC, which seems pretty likely to be less than 2019.

This early vs late season argument is frustrating. No one area should dictate what decisions are reached, this is a coast-wide TAC that must be equitably shared. My thinking is that should be guided objectively by what the actual use of TAC tells us. If more people use it early, and we can run an early fishery that can predictably cover the core summer months of May to September, then that should represent a fair approach. Conversely, if the numbers show fall is more popular, then so beit. We can't have both if there isn't enough TAC...and if by some miracle we have similar TAC as we had in 2019, I'm all for a roll over of those regulations for 2020.

Thanks for the report GLG.

I am not in the high ranks of the rec fishery, but I was while serving in the CF. If I presented to my CO, Adm, or the PM the info below as published I would have expected to have been asked some pointy directed questions. How can one table state provide "detailed catch" info when every table concerning catch states "Estimate". Sounds like blatant voodoo math, where is the substantiation, critical verification of the data or even % of error? More I learn the more insane this whole process sounds. Jimmy is laughing harder by the year and is probably the only one who knows exactly how many pieces and what they weighed that he bought, processed and sold.

4. APPENDICES
The following tables provide detailed catch and biological information collected during the 2018 recreational halibut fishery in BC. Note: these figures are preliminary and subject to change.

Table 6. Recreational Halibut Monthly Catch Estimates (net wt. lbs) for 2016, 2017 and 2018

HM

Although some guys do anchor in Jordan River that month.

WE are not allowed past sheringham point as of aug 1 and 2 years ago (2018)we were not allowed past otter point . amazing how people who dont fish this area much forget these issues and facts are facts. Maybe they need to ask the people who are actually out there everyday ... OH right I said that in meeting about 8 years ago I volunteered to keep track of what I saw and what I know was going on out there as all us guides and friends kinda know whos fishing and catching ....

REPLY oh we cant use that as its hearsay evidence???? I then said well what the hell is creel then????
I can bet you the august numbers and the October numbers are based on flyover when salmon fishing was open they saw lots of boats ESPECIALLY in october with guys out to tide lines chasing coho (i was one of them) they cant seem to figure out who is salmon and who is halibut fishing.....

Last edited:
These numbers are out to lunch, there is no possible way that area 12 out fished area's 10 and 11 for all but two months last season. Area 12 was closed to salmon until the 1st of August, there were literally zero boats in this area, I travelled through it everyday. Also odd that September and October had the exact same catch, come on!

There is no what they got this data from flyovers, creel or logbooks, just no way.

Just shows me again how this data collection system is flawed.

These numbers are out to lunch, there is no possible way that area 12 out fished area's 10 and 11 for all but two months last season. Area 12 was closed to salmon until the 1st of August, there were literally zero boats in this area, I travelled through it everyday. Also odd that September and October had the exact same catch, come on!

There is no what they got this data from flyovers, creel or logbooks, just no way.

Just shows me again how this data collection system is flawed.

Can you link us to these numbers?

Back