Invasive mussels: 10 boats, 5 bound for Okanagan

No excuses if that amount in pic was found on a boat bound for BC. EVERY one who lives in mussel areas knows what they have done, that guy should no longer own that boat. Only way to stop/slow it is to make it prohibitively expensive NOT to check. My opinion. When they get here our landscape and freshwater fishing as we know it will change.

HM

No excuses if that amount in pic was found on a boat bound for BC. EVERY one who lives in mussel areas knows what they have done, that guy should no longer own that boat. Only way to stop/slow it is to make it prohibitively expensive NOT to check. My opinion. When they get here our landscape and freshwater fishing as we know it will change.

HM
Couldn’t agree more if people can’t be bothered to go over their boats when they know they’re coming from a contaminated area no second chances. Boats gone and maybe tow vehicle too , word gets out people may pay attention. If this carries on it’s only a matter of time before it’s our problem.

I suspect data included a long period before lock down, 12 800 inspections, I guess this is many months data. I stand by my opinion, confiscate immediately, heavy fine and set some examples. The who cares attitude will immediately stop when consequences are severe. Right now with a warning or 30 days quarantine and so few checks people don't give a ****. BC freshwater use and fishing will be impacted huge like we have never seen. Going back to fish my old growing up waters in Ont after the mussels got there was an eye opener. Visible clear bottom down to 30 ft, when we could maybe see 3 ft as a kid, every piece of bottom had razor sharp mussels. My vast filled pike, walleye and bass bays were void clear water, fish less areas.

HM

I stand by my opinion, confiscate immediately, heavy fine and set some examples. The who cares attitude will immediately stop when consequences are severe. Right now with a warning or 30 days quarantine and so few checks people don't give a ****.

HM

Yeah, I agree with this for sure. I was towing my little boat from Vancouver to Kamloops. Right near Hope at a highway scale there was a sign saying "all boats report for inspection" It wasn't a big sign and I was sorta surprised I even noticed it. The guys looked at my boat and asked a few questions "where were you last boating, where was the boat kept, etc" While I was there another boat went right by on the highway. The inspectors didn't seem concerned. So basically the inspection was on the honour system.

People are still purchasing boats from the US and having them trucked up here. Could well be from a mussel area but the seller doesn't care and the buyer doesn't know. You'd think cross-border boat movement must be down due to COVID, but it hasn't stopped altogether. Boat sales in general are well up, not surprising they're still coming across.

Yeah, I agree with this for sure. I was towing my little boat from Vancouver to Kamloops. Right near Hope at a highway scale there was a sign saying "all boats report for inspection" It wasn't a big sign and I was sorta surprised I even noticed it. The guys looked at my boat and asked a few questions "where were you last boating, where was the boat kept, etc" While I was there another boat went right by on the highway. The inspectors didn't seem concerned. So basically the inspection was on the honor system.
I went thru the same inspection, same place early last Sept on way to annual hunt, had the tinny on the roof of trailer. Officer and myself said same thing, he said there was no portion of law that allowed them to enforce fully. Or something to that effect, basically and unenforceable rule. May be different now or in other jurisdictions. Not sure why, BC should know what we have to loose.

HM

Zebra mussels first appeared in the Great Lakes in the 1980’s.
So boats from Ontarïo could also be a problem.
Stosh

Yeah, I agree with this for sure. I was towing my little boat from Vancouver to Kamloops. Right near Hope at a highway scale there was a sign saying "all boats report for inspection" It wasn't a big sign and I was sorta surprised I even noticed it. The guys looked at my boat and asked a few questions "where were you last boating, where was the boat kept, etc" While I was there another boat went right by on the highway. The inspectors didn't seem concerned. So basically the inspection was on the honour system.

Last year while driving up to Kelowna a boat blew past the inspection and a cop chased him down; good to see. Maybe they’re not always on it like they were that day however.

if there are so many boats coming in stopping 10 means there are likely to be 100+ boats which didnt get stopped. only 1 boat with a load entering the waters is enough to infect the area.
they should just assume the stuff will spread and react accordingly instead of trying to enforce a ban on it which makes no sense. maybe zebra mussels make good soup or something. put a bounty on catching/killing them.

Back