Interesting read from south of the border

fishbadger

Here's a recent good article on salmon recovery I thought I'd share from our side, well written in its brevity.

https://tidalexchange.com/2018/03/15/fisheries-mgmt-for-dummies-2-recovery-you-try-it/

Us rec fisher groups are up against it in really similar ways, with various groups wanting to shut us down, or curtail our ways of life. I wish there was a better way to work together across the border, but at least we can share information, maybe strategies. Your habitat may vary. Good luck!

fb

Everyone wants to shut us down over here on the "wrong side" of the border. Halibut might be 3 days but we are fearing less. And the whale folks want to feed all the Chinook to the orcas.

I am in Port Angeles. At least I can buy a BC license and head north to Border Bank. If the same thing does not happen on your side!

Won't be long until the Pacific Northwest is where all the U.S. East Coast folks come to buy cheap boats. Will be thousands for sale.

Nice tool; although the solution to Chinook is not a one size fits all. Hatchery's will be needed short term, but restoring stream habitat loss then re-introduction of native fish using the best possible geological match needs to be done.

Interesting that ocean productivity or hatchery pinks have no influence on that model.

Chile is currently experiencing a chinook salmon invasion in the south Pacific caused by their attempts at ocean ranching which they wisely stopped. They have wild 90lb chinooks returning to formerly barren rivers despite fish farm densities 15 times greater than BC. Obviously the genes for giant chinook have not been lost since the Chile fish came from Washington State hatcheries but the ocean conditions in the north Pacific aren't triggering big fish from the same genes. The only shoe that fits the present data to me is the billion Alaskan hatchery pinks but time will tell.

https://www.currentresults.com/Invasive-Species/Invasive-Water/chinook-709271.php

Attachments

• shot_2018-03-15_13-49-40.png
    shot_2018-03-15_13-49-40.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
I like the halibut-style pose with that big chinook.

Yes you're right there's a few things the model does not account for. I think it is regionally applicable to some local systems, but your habitat may vary, perhaps moreso the further north you go.

fb

Makes you wonder about scientists who say they need cold water to survive.
Guess someone forgot to tell the salmon.

Makes you wonder about scientists who say they need cold water to survive.
Guess someone forgot to tell the salmon.
They still need the same water temperatures. From that link "Their eventual southern range will likely correspond in latitude to the salmon's presence in the northern hemisphere"

Cold water is mostly about ocean productivity not death from heat stroke. :) Salmon probably grow faster in warmer water IF there's enough food. Chile has the cold Humboldt current which makes its waters rich.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_Current

Back