Interesting perspective on energy.

bigdogeh

Not really 100% fisheries related but interesting. Hopefully it isn't removed as it may not follow the criteria for this forum. Maybe a conversation could be started as to what you believe he is correct in stating and what may not be correct or what you might disagree with...
It's a bit long but worth watching I believe.

presentation Chris Slubicki on Energy and balance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raMwTUjB224&t=1s

I watched the presentation. It fails to mention one important element when we as global citizens try and raise the living standards of the bottom 30% of the population through his prism of energy production. The planet is burning through 100 million barrels of oil per day. That’s Per Day!! That resource and everything it implies is controlled by very few people. Not Governments, people. So when we hear that WE the people need to double oil and energy production to help these poor people in Africa and parts of Asia, SA, we don’t have the ability to 1. Produce the new energy and 2. Produce it for the benefit of anyone except the people/corporations who control it now. Last point. Do you think these people don’t already have the resources at their disposal to make a massive difference in these poor peoples lives right now, TODAY. Or is it just about stock price, profits. The gas and oil industry has done so much for the world, it’s the biggest reason we have the lifestyle and economic fortune we do, but it’s come with a huge price. Global warming climate change warming ocean temperatures loss of species, etc etc is being laid at the feet of this industry. Of course it’s people making decisions and politicians allowing these projects to move forward. But unless we figure out how to capture what’s coming out of exhaust pipes and smoke stacks, the fossil fuel industry is also going to be responsible for the next huge change to our way of life in a really bad way. It’s been happening for about 40 yrs now, and for the last 10-15 years scientists have known that we can’t keep going like this or we’re in big big trouble. I cringe when I see our big truck convoy descending on Ottawa to voice their support for pipelines and greater oil production. Then I think about salmon fishing, guides, outfitters and how the oil industry is eliminating our coastal industries that we love. I don’t want warming oceans, polluted air, I don’t want double the oil production to help the poor people of the world, I want a better way, one that doesn’t kill my way of life! Can’t we have both? Aren’t we smart enough to grow economies and raise people up out of poverty without ruining the planet? I feel for people in the oil industry that have lost jobs but let’s remember something. The oil infrastructure that turned Alberta into the economic envy of the world is better today than it was 15 years ago. The difference isn’t another pipeline ir increased capacity, it was $120 a barrel oil, or $130 oil or $95 oil. But at $50 oil their only answer is increased production. There is no shortage of oil there is no increased demand, there is no need for more pipelines except for more profit for big oil companies. Bringing more oil onto the market actually keeps prices low, keeping demand down and no need for more jobs. The misinformation they’re spreading isn’t helpful to us or them. Invest in the future and stop investing in the past

I watched the presentation. It fails to mention one important element when we as global citizens try and raise the living standards of the bottom 30% of the population through his prism of energy production. The planet is burning through 100 million barrels of oil per day. That’s Per Day!! That resource and everything it implies is controlled by very few people. Not Governments, people. So when we hear that WE the people need to double oil and energy production to help these poor people in Africa and parts of Asia, SA, we don’t have the ability to 1. Produce the new energy and 2. Produce it for the benefit of anyone except the people/corporations who control it now. Last point. Do you think these people don’t already have the resources at their disposal to make a massive difference in these poor peoples lives right now, TODAY. Or is it just about stock price, profits. The gas and oil industry has done so much for the world, it’s the biggest reason we have the lifestyle and economic fortune we do, but it’s come with a huge price. Global warming climate change warming ocean temperatures loss of species, etc etc is being laid at the feet of this industry. Of course it’s people making decisions and politicians allowing these projects to move forward. But unless we figure out how to capture what’s coming out of exhaust pipes and smoke stacks, the fossil fuel industry is also going to be responsible for the next huge change to our way of life in a really bad way. It’s been happening for about 40 yrs now, and for the last 10-15 years scientists have known that we can’t keep going like this or we’re in big big trouble. I cringe when I see our big truck convoy descending on Ottawa to voice their support for pipelines and greater oil production. Then I think about salmon fishing, guides, outfitters and how the oil industry is eliminating our coastal industries that we love. I don’t want warming oceans, polluted air, I don’t want double the oil production to help the poor people of the world, I want a better way, one that doesn’t kill my way of life! Can’t we have both? Aren’t we smart enough to grow economies and raise people up out of poverty without ruining the planet? I feel for people in the oil industry that have lost jobs but let’s remember something. The oil infrastructure that turned Alberta into the economic envy of the world is better today than it was 15 years ago. The difference isn’t another pipeline ir increased capacity, it was $120 a barrel oil, or $130 oil or $95 oil. But at $50 oil their only answer is increased production. There is no shortage of oil there is no increased demand, there is no need for more pipelines except for more profit for big oil companies. Bringing more oil onto the market actually keeps prices low, keeping demand down and no need for more jobs. The misinformation they’re spreading isn’t helpful to us or them. Invest in the future and stop investing in the past

All really good points!

Back