Interesting Conversation on the State of our Fish Stocks

baddogg

Crew Member
After pulling our boat out at Salmon Point Marina yesterday some guy drives up and the following conversation takes place.

Him: Hey, you know where that boat should be?

Us: In your driveway?

Him: No, I have a boat, you should go to Haida Gwai

Us: Oh, were you there?

Him: Ya, came home with 500 lbs. of spring fillets

Us: Oh, that's a lot of fish (trying to do math in head and it's not working out)

Him: Ya, you get the natives to write you a letter and you can take as much home as you want.

Us: Oh, really, no thanks

Him: Let me know and I can set you up

Us: Speechless

Maybe just a big blowhard, but if not, we are fighting a losing battle at all level.

sickening...
I once watched a guy (tourist) cleaning the salmon for the natives off the rocks at moricetown and loading them into the back of his car trunk....he had a large green garbage can full of fillets. I was young at the time and didn't think anything of it.... with the ways the laws are now it's probably legal... sickening.

Seems like a story.... I really can't see that. If people ask for letters to keep more fish than that's a new low, and wins the darwin award...

I think the guy would have taken too much regardless of the letter. I don't think the letter would have done him any good either. Wouldn't you need some sort of receipt for having that much salmon? Proof of purchase off a commercial boat, legally caught, and in fillets? Would be an interesting day in court.

I can guarantee you he wasn't an undercover cop. Maybe fisheries, but not likely that either. I have good reason to be sure of that.

Back