Insulating Fish Box

SaltyAlice

During the summer the ice in my fish box melts fairly quickly; warm weather plus an aluminum hull that conducts well. I was thinking of lining the fish box with some foam to insulate the ice in order to slow melting during long or multi-day trips.

Has anybody tried doing something similar, and if so any suggestions on material? I expect I might want to just rest foam on the bottom as opposed to adhereing it so I can remove it if it gets stanky.

There’s companies that make custom kill bags similar to the reliable kill bags. I had one made for my old north river.

Ryan

I have the same problem with my transom fish box. Aluminum in the sun just conducts the heat too well. Insulating the box won't stop the metal from conducting the heat from the parts of the boat in the sun. One of those bags might work. But, you are putting them into a warm metal box so it's a little less than ideal.

I have an in floor box that stays way cooler. For cool storage, maybe you could look at putting one of those in if it's feasible.

Good advice on the bags, I'll check them out. I'll be in the Barkley Sound area for a few days this weekend and beyond and it looks to be hot. For a hot multi-day I am thinking the following will be my procedure to ensure high quality food:
1) Bleed bucket on the boat (head down, cut gills). I've never done one before but assuming I just put some seawater in it and bleed them for 5-10 minutes.
2) Once decently bled, put them into the fish locker at the back of the boat which has ice in it and which drains. I'll see about picking up a bag that sits inside the box
3) When we hit a lull, remove fish from fish locker and gut them. Final wash down.
4) Transfer cleaned non-bleeding fish to our large white cooler packed with fish ice

Buy salted ice, colder and lasts longer.

Good advice on the bags, I'll check them out. I'll be in the Barkley Sound area for a few days this weekend and beyond and it looks to be hot. For a hot multi-day I am thinking the following will be my procedure to ensure high quality food:
1) Bleed bucket on the boat (head down, cut gills). I've never done one before but assuming I just put some seawater in it and bleed them for 5-10 minutes.
2) Once decently bled, put them into the fish locker at the back of the boat which has ice in it and which drains. I'll see about picking up a bag that sits inside the box
3) When we hit a lull, remove fish from fish locker and gut them. Final wash down.
4) Transfer cleaned non-bleeding fish to our large white cooler packed with fish ice
I
Your method listed above will work perfectly. I use the 5 gallon bucket for bleeding my fish prior to placing in below water level fish lockers. It takes only 5 minutes to bleed out, best to give the fish a wiggle as you remove to loosen congealed blood from its mouth/head area.
...Rob

I switched my built in fish box (17 1/2" armstrong aluminum) into a storage area and use a 120 igloo cooler, keeps ice for a couple of days and blocks for close to a week. works great.

Back