Installing skis under an ice fishing sled

lumberjac

Did anybody besides me install skis under the ice fishing sled to reduce friction? I did and am now wondering if I should have the skis waxed. Anyone got experience with this?

Go to a ski shop and buy some wax. Wax the skis yourself. Then see if it makes a difference and go from there. Don't think you will need a hotwax.

Did this many years ago in Ont when there was serious ice fishing. 10,000 huts on Trent river, and popups were not invented, all had wood stoves no propane, bunks, pots, pans, booze, beer, and more booze. Ooh what fun we had. I put old down hill skis on bottom of 2x8 runners, never waxed, pulled around with sled. Worked like a charm when snow and ice and hut was left for short time in same place but when left in same spot for days/weeks melt and freeze occurred, was a ******* chopping skis out of ice. Not thinking wax will make any difference, if I was to do again now, no skis, just 2x8s easier to cut out, pull and move around.

HM

….as our mine slightly , I guess you could silicone or 2 part epoxy to smooth over if you like , I didn't

I built a sled when we lived in Alberta and ice fished a lot. Took an old set of skis and mounted them to the sled. I think I took some cross country ski wax and waxed the skis which filled the screw holes. (Long time ago so memory is foggy, might have been too much booze though looking back). It worked great for quite a few years. Gave it away when we moved back to BC.

Oly

I built a sled when we lived in Alberta and ice fished a lot. Took an old set of skis and mounted them to the sled. I think I took some cross country ski wax and waxed the skis which filled the screw holes. (Long time ago so memory is foggy, might have been too much booze though looking back). It worked great for quite a few years. Gave it away when we moved back to BC.

Oly
Hey Oly can you remember what wax you used?

We never waxed, did countersink screws for smooth ski bottom. Everyone did have hut anchors, a strong rope and short cut broom handles, dropped down a hole and pulled back up till under ice and tied to hut. Not good after a strong wind and no anchors. Think big bumper huts on the ice. Still say wax not required, its meant to make skis grip uphill and slide downhill, it that what you want for your hut?

HM

Hey Oly can you remember what wax you used?

Really can’t remeber what wax I used. Might even have got some downhill wax and did them that way. Probably be slipperier that cross county wax as @halimark said. I know we never had a problem pulling it by hand. Way better than packing everything you need for the day. We used to snow shoe into some lakes in the foothills of the Rockies for many miles. Would have been a lot harder having to pack everything on your back.

Oly

Technology has entered the ice huts, usually return to Ont in winter. My nephews have new pop up hunts with sleds included, and every amenity. Easy tow out, 2 mins to set up, electric instant augers, no minnow but plastics that look and catch walleye as real do. Dam miss those evenings catching fish and listening to the ice heave, crack and pop. Only 10" of ice this year, so no trucks or sleds to carry out gear.

Lumberjack, enjoy your time on the ice, wax or not you are out there having fun. Good for you, hopefully you can take a kid, they love it.

HM

We never waxed, did countersink screws for smooth ski bottom. Everyone did have hut anchors, a strong rope and short cut broom handles, dropped down a hole and pulled back up till under ice and tied to hut. Not good after a strong wind and no anchors. Think big bumper huts on the ice. Still say wax not required, its meant to make skis grip uphill and slide downhill, it that what you want for your hut?

HM
Thanks for the info HM appreciate it. I especially like your idea of short broom handles to anchor the pop-up shelters..

Oops, we don't use the brooms on pop ups, just pile wet snow around perimeter. Used anchors for our plywood holiday inns. These stayed on ice from Dec-Mar and we only moved to chase the fish. Would not recommend broom anchors today, some would call it pollution as was the bus the city placed on the ice, guesses to when it sank cost $1 all for local marina. Now there are fancy screw in and out metal anchors.

HM

get some of these and a cordless drill adpater for your tent....

QYR5N6U.jpg
tf2ifuW.jpg

Back