Installing a prop guard question

Sitkaspruce

I am looking to put a Mac's Prop Guard on my Yammy 8 hp HT.

My question is, if I remove the zinc from under the cav plate, is there enough thickness in the cav plate to mount the guard properly??

and secondly, where do I mount the zinc...or do I need to??? I already have a 4x6 right beside the kicker mounted directly on the boat. This zinc has no marks on it, how ever the one on the kicker has some slight pitting.

Cheers

SS

If you plan to keep the zinc off, you'll need to install another one. You could install a clamshell one on the skeg. Couldnt you get a flat one to mount uner the cav plate where the other one was? Dont go without one though or you will regret it.

IFL

There is already a flat one under the cav plate, but in order to mount the prop guard, I have to remove it (as per the instructions) then mount the prop guard under the cav plate. So where do you mount another one??

Thanks

Cheers

SS

What I think is strange is that I bought a prop gaurd for my T8 from Parker and it went on without any problems with zincs. Drilled 5 holes then mounted it. It has been one of the best purchases I have made on my boat.

Cost $80 plus some bolts.

I let my lines press against my prop gaurd on turns. It is totally cool. I can now turn in any dirrection when ever I want in any current.

Will post a picture if you like.

Fish Assassin
"What I think is strange is that I bought a prop gaurd for my T8 from Parker and it went on without any problems with zincs. Drilled 5 holes then mounted it. It has been one of the best purchases I have made on my boat."

x2

FA

Does your T8 have a zinc under the cav plate right above the prop??

If so, can you post a picture so I can see how you did it. I am trying to figure this out the easiest way.

Thanks

Cheers

SS

Comming in minutes

I will have to remove prop guards nuts and washers to replace zincs though. But all is good. As my stainless washer touch my zincs taking the heat out. So I hope. Boat catches fish and motor is safe.. No real issue. Bolts come out on either side of the zinc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicker005.jpg

Kicker003.jpg

Kicker002.jpg

You will see the forward bolt on the starboard side just touched. But after already drilling it was two late. Oh well. I am not worried. See what happens next year. I might buy myself a 6 horse to replace this T8.

Interesting that your prop guard sits on top of the cav plate, mine has to go underneath, other wise they will try and mix when in gear......

Thanks for the photo's, will look at it again tomorrow.

Cheers

SS

Mine is mounted the same way as the "Fish Assassin's" except I made sure that it didn't interfer with the installation or removal of the zinc.

Back