Inherited rods

slaydown

Hey guys, I came across a couple old rods and just curious about them, one looks to be a steelhead rod (Algonquin Blanchard 545) and the other I cannot make out it says blank "make" and under says Canada. It's a flyrod and I'm guessing maybe a rich make. The one other flyrod looks alot cheaper with no markings and a strange butt end. They all look really old. I'm not a flyguy so no idea. Any info is appreciated. 20201122_154533.jpg

Attachments

• 20201122_155246.jpg
    20201122_155246.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I don't have specific information on those rods, but all look to be of a good build quality. By the way, been fishing religiously for 50 years now, and have owned a lot of rods. So to my knowledge, they do look nice. I would hang on to them, and best of all, use them.

I don't have specific information on those rods, but all look to be of a good build quality. By the way, been fishing religiously for 50 years now, and have owned a lot of rods. So to my knowledge, they do look nice. I would hang on to them, and best of all, use them.
Thanks and I think so too, I will definitely use a few of them, the rest I'll hold on to and put in the collection.

The yellow Algonquin is a spinning rod, judging by those very large guides.
The reddish-brown one with the "Make" decal is a fly rod, as it's got a "snake" guide that are unique to fly rods. It also has a fly rods reel seat at the butt end of the handle.
The photo of the medium-brown rod needs to show more guides, especially the lowest guide and the tip top, to figure out what it is. That sliding reel seat is something I've never seen on a fly rod, no doubt because the metal portion would be extremely uncomfortable under the hand. Sliding reel seats like that were fairly common on economy spinning rods, which is why I'd like to see if it has a large stripping guide (the first one up from the grip). Sliders are also used on centre pin rods, but that cork handle is very short for a pin rod.

I have an Old Algonquin Blanchard 3 pc 9 foot fly rod. Not sure what weight it is as the label is almost worn off. I bought the rod when I was 8 years old at the T. Eaton store in Winnipeg Manitoba for the sum of $8.00. It took a month of shovelling snow off neighbours walks pay for it.
It is still fishable, but no longer in use.
The last time it was cast was about 20 years ago when I taught a troop of Boy Scouts to fly cast an a small lake in Sooke BC. It made a 12 year old scout"s day when he caught a 9 inch rainbow on it.

Back