Inexpensive tractor seats

Cuba Libre

Its been a while since this subject was discussed. One to the posts (cant remember who) suggested looking at after market tractor seats. I finally got around to it. Island Tractor, the Courtenay Kuboda dealer stocks two cheap models. One that has black vinyl and the other that is two-tone blue and black. I chose the black as it was cheaper. The prices?? BARGOON! $112+tax for the black and around $135+tax for the 2 tone.

I gave the metal frame and base a couple of coats of Tremclad anti rust paint and changed the nickle plated bolts for stainless. Using the seat base (adjustable fore and aft) as a template, I drilled four bolt holes in the seatbox top. That was it!!

The suspension is one shock and two springs. The tension is adjustable for a person up to 250 lbs. Since I am approcahing that mammoth weight (235) I did bottom the seat out in about a 3 ft swell. Rides the chop very nicely-- just rides up and down with no jarring.

Only one issue that I have to deal with. The narrow base allows the seat to tilt side to side in a quartering sea. In time it could cause metal fatigue. The solution is simple, however. Bolt and weld two braces on the side of the suspension frame.

IMGP2086.jpg

IMGP2089.jpg

Nice, sure beats the crap out of those cheap Striper seats............. now if they made them in white.........

SS

Looks good Bryan!!!!!

I will be down in the next little while and will stop by. I need at least one of those as the old back will not let me ride in the rough stuff any more.

Thanks for posting

Cheers

SS

When you come down Ken, I'll put the boat in the water and you can try the seat out. Days notice would help thou.....

For the price they work great and one could replace them every so often if they rusted beyond usage. Past one year and still looking good so no complaints.
cheers

I found mine needing some reinforcement
IMG_5262.jpg

I used the same seat base and figured out a way to mount my cushy white boat seat to the base. Basically made a mounting place out of 3/4" Starboard that bolted to the base and to the seat. Been using this suspension for about 18 months and would never go back. It's fantastic. I got mine from eBay -- I had ordered the black unit like you did, but when it arrived the seller sent a blue one. He offered to let me keep the blue seat and refunded $40 -- so including shipping I ended up paying $50 for it.

Oak%20Bay-20110115-00121.jpg

I like it-- I have been eyeballing mind to try to figure out how to do it... but it isnt simple from what I can see-- but I have no manufacturing skills!!!

Well, I ain't exactly Tim-the-Toolman so if I can figure it out, anyone can :). Basically, I cut a square piece of Starboard. The base of the suspension has 4 bolts and I drilled 4 holes in the Starboard base. My white boat seat also had a 4 bolt base with a different sized pattern. Also drilled 4 bolt holes for it. Bolted this new base to the seat, and then bolted the whole seat to the suspension mechanism. Works like a charm.

Thanks TenMile Sounds like phase deux plan .... I'll see how it works out!

Cheers
CL

Now what can I do? As I have a few extra pounds...Sure I could drop a couple pounds. But even CL bottomed his out and he is not 250#'s. Can you beef them up some how? or are there others out there?

TenMile

Tim-the-tool man I am not either, but what is Starboard?? A type of metal or ???

Curious as this is what I need to set up in my boat.

Cheers

SS

Starboard is the same stuff those white kitchen cutting boards are made from (+ or-).

Can be worked pretty much like wood and is impervious to moisture.

Now what can I do? As I have a few extra pounds...Sure I could drop a couple pounds. But even CL bottomed his out and he is not 250#'s. Can you beef them up some how? or are there others out there?

Dont laugh-- but I'll bet a couple of large doggie "Kongs" under the seat would work pretty good!!! but before I try that, I will see about attaching the original seats to the tractor frame . LOL!!

Trotac sells a hydraulic seat. More expensive then this tractor seat, but is a bigger, more robust unit made for marine use. Can't remember how much it is though.

Yes, that is the same one I installed in the photos above. I removed their "seat" and used the suspension mechanism with my cushy white boat seat.

That's also the EXACT SAME unit except they've added the pedestal mount for an extra few hundred bones. I took the mount off my existing boat seat and modified it to fit the tractor seat suspension. I made a simple mount out of Starboard (could also use stainless or aluminum) with 8 bolts. Took me about an hour.

The only thing to be mindful of here is that the unit is made of steel -- it's well painted but a couple of coats of rust paint and/or a heavy coat of WD40 would't hurt. It will rust if the paint is scratched or if there are parts of the surface that aren't protected.

Back