independant kicker steering with an inboard

adrian1991

Don't know much about kicker steering as I've always used a tiller handle
But the new boat has an inboard currently
And the kicker is going to be electric start and power tilt

I don't like the ex steer bar from the leg to kicker
But there's not much to mount the ram for a remote steer to on the butt end of the boat
My boat has hydraulic steer ready to the main

Picture of the boat and what I want to accomplish with a second steer helm

Attachments

• received_1414966335355029.jpeg
    received_1414966335355029.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 89
Just add a hydraulic ram to the kicker at the pivot tube, install a liquid valve and you can steer your boat with just main or with both together by flipping a valve handle.

I have had a type r intelli steer for quite a few years and it’s been good. Pretty easy to install and easy to use. It’s a little noisy and the electric ram takes up a little room. Steer cable is the wear part every few years but easily available. Steering response is a touch on the slow side compared to the panther.

View attachment 52625 Install a stand alone rear cable steer helm for the kicker. That's how mine is setup. Its almost fool proof and inexpensive. I also have a tie bar that can be attached to steer from the front helm.

Do you have a link to the manufacture of that unit SD.

Ez steer is what am using and have used for years because I cant ever decide on a permanent system. If you go this way you get to experience a season full of wet shoes, seized rams, missing quick connects and if you're lucky you wont fall in when you're connecting up. The quick connects are just 1/4" air hose connectors so I keep a few news ones on board and grease them up.

I would go python most likely but the whole pod conversion thing to an outboard will make this all go away...

I went to the Garmin reactor Kicker 40 auto pilot . remote controlled servo motor that works either through your chartplotter or remote control point it and it turns .
plot a waypoint and hit goto set your throttle speed so far I like it.
I can still use the tiller if I choose as well which I like for getting in tight to the kelp on ocassion
reactor 40.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1964.JPG
    IMG_1964.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 45
as stated get a suitable ram for the steering tube on the kicker ....

install 2 x 3 way value. got mine cheap from ebay . and do a cabe run to the kicker ....

thats how i done mine ... set down the kicker start her up flip the two handles kicker is now steering. and once done reverse procedure. takes me all of about 5 seconds
as i am 4.3 v6 to 8hp HT Yamaha done all the tie bar crap and dont need to be out the back all the time . steer from the helm and then get autopilot install ...

Like Pro said and wild thing 3 way valves and a ram they you can steer up fron or at back easy peasy. have had my system in place for over 12 years now no issues at all. where you located anyways??

Like Pro said and wild thing 3 way valves and a ram they you can steer up fron or at back easy peasy. have had my system in place for over 12 years now no issues at all. where you located anyways??

Might be the way to go just have to source out the parts

I'm in nanoose bay

Damn too bad if your ever down this way you can check out how ive done it Rollie helped me out wwwaaayyy back when...

My 23 Hourston is set up like Wolf and Wildthing describe - stern steering station has the throttle for the 9.9. Switching the valves in the cockpit is much better than sitting steering on the coaming all day, or climbing out onto the swim grid to disconnect the steering bar in 3 or 4' breaking crap when the westerly comes up.

More initial cost. 15+ years of trouble-free operation.

Back