Inboard/Outboards Vs Outboards

Zuki has a 350 duo prop I believe there gonna start doing 300 as well
The zuk dealer said the 300b is the same block as the 350hp detuned and will run on 87. When I looked into the 350 suzuki it comes well reviewed. The only warning I had from suzuki is the 350 doesn't like suspect fuel at all. I run where the mid grade fuel is known to be suspect. The 300b sounded like a better option in my case.

Hopefully we're going to find out pretty soon...
Orca-Re-30-350-20-starboard-stern.jpg
That’s purdy!!

The zuk dealer said the 300b is the same block as the 350hp detuned and will run on 87. When I looked into the 350 suzuki it comes well reviewed. The only warning I had from suzuki is the 350 doesn't like suspect fuel at all. I run where the mid grade fuel is known to be suspect. The 300b sounded like a better option in my case.

Seems that 350hp v6 has 12.:1 compression unless I misread so that would lead me to believe it needs very clean fuel. The 300hp would suffice for our boat I believe.

you have a real hard-on for inboards, we get it. i hope you have a mechanical degree to back up all the bs you pedal. i do spec and build marine engines
I really appreciate the value you have added to the conversation - all lower case text - couldn't be bothered to put down your beer?

All the work has been done by Brant Marine,who are a Suzuki dealer,but as always it took quite a bit longer to complete than planned, courtesy of the Corvid situation.I'm very pleased with the quality of the work. Couple last minute things to complete due to stalled parts, and we will be able to get wet. Been a long ride...

All the work has been done by Brant Marine,who are a Suzuki dealer,but as always it took quite a bit longer to complete than planned, courtesy of the Corvid situation.I'm very pleased with the quality of the work. Couple last minute things to complete due to stalled parts, and we will be able to get wet. Been a long ride...

Full pod conversion, correct? I would plan to do this during the off season...they are definitely on my list to speak with for sure. In a perfect world, unload the 320GXi / DPS for $xxxxx to fund the transom work and the pod, then write a cheque to rig it off the burner account, my wife won't even know what happened...

Full pod conversion, correct? I would plan to do this during the off season...they are definitely on my list to speak with for sure. In a perfect world, unload the 320GXi / DPS for $xxxxx to fund the transom work and the pod, then write a cheque to rig it off the burner account, my wife won't even know what happened...

A couple before and after pics. Quite a transformation...

Orca-Re-10.jpg

Orca-Re-25.jpg

Orca-Re-10.jpg

Orca-Re-25.jpg
Luckily my current slip is being charged out at my 32' LOA but has about 8' left over to the head float. I wonder if they'd notice an extra 3'? ;)

Good post Foxsea.

This bullet point is interesting.
"Especially important in smaller boats, outboards provide more room inside the boat because they are installed on the transom, outside the boat. I/O engines are in the cockpit which takes up an area of the boat that can be better used for user convenience and comfort."

This is one thing about podded boats that I never liked. I don't like having a big outboard and kicker hanging 4 feet off the back of the boat. It is space in the water that I cannot use for playing a fish, netting or just swimming. It also becomes a bit of a drag trying to pull skiers and tubers with that back there. I use my boat as multi purpose, so that is also a factor.

Winterizing - this to me is a bit of a misconception, Its not hard. Air doesn't freeze. So much like a travel trailer, if you get the water out then there is no problem. I added a valve to drain the heat exchanger, as well as the exhaust manifold. When I need to winterize I open both valves and all the water drains out and I'm done, winterized. I've done it that way for 11 years, zero issues. With my travel trailer its the same thing, drain all the water and blow out the lines, no issues.
Agree. If you aren’t smart enough to winterize your boat or pay someone to you will be on a site complaining and blaming someone else that your engine is blown. Blocks freeze and break because of people that are to inept to pull a couple drain plugs and too cheap to buy a $200 Pali heater and pay BCH $5/month. Can’t put a dollar sign on peace of mind.

Outboards are cooled with raw water, no?
Yes but the metal alloys used in O/B are formulated to last longer in a S/W environment. All of my O/B's have had the electrical connectors sealed with O-rings. MerCruiser does now offer some purpose-built marine engines, but otherwise the I/O's are car engines with some marine-specific components.

Orca-Re-10.jpg

Orca-Re-25.jpg
Are you going to be able to tilt your motor all the way up? Maybe it's the angle on the picture but it seems a little short to me

I currently have an inboard but never again. My sons a HDMechanic and his buddy was a marine mechanic and now HD. When looking for boats I had my heart set on an outboard but his buddy said inboards were no problem, crate engines were cheap and readily available. That was perhaps true back then, but no longer at least not for older boats.

Perhaps I’m just unlucky but two years ago I had my original engine a 2000 4.3 VP replaced with a new long block. This time a Mercruiser because the new VP 4.3 won’t work with the old outdrive and the old was was out of production. Last year the new engine basically detonated after 13 months , but I was fortunate enough to get a replacement from Mercruiser after contacting the home plant in Wisconsin (after being told by the Canadian rep I was SOL because it was a month beyond the 12 month warranty).

This year I had trouble starting her and the mechanics decided it was the throttle body and would have to be shipped south of the border to be rebuilt. Apparently you can no longer buy a new unit so it’s rebuild or nothing. So my concern is that it’s getting harder to find parts. If it were an outboard I would have a year old replacement engine with no problem getting parts, instead I have a year old engine that is essentially no longer supported by the manufacturer.

Unless you enjoy and have the equipment to rebuild motors and the desire to search for parts, I’d go outboard.

I currently have an inboard but never again. My sons a HDMechanic and his buddy was a marine mechanic and now HD. When looking for boats I had my heart set on an outboard but his buddy said inboards were no problem, crate engines were cheap and readily available. That was perhaps true back then, but no longer at least not for older boats.

Perhaps I’m just unlucky but two years ago I had my original engine a 2000 4.3 VP replaced with a new long block. This time a Mercruiser because the new VP 4.3 won’t work with the old outdrive and the old was was out of production. Last year the new engine basically detonated after 13 months , but I was fortunate enough to get a replacement from Mercruiser after contacting the home plant in Wisconsin (after being told by the Canadian rep I was SOL because it was a month beyond the 12 month warranty).

This year I had trouble starting her and the mechanics decided it was the throttle body and would have to be shipped south of the border to be rebuilt. Apparently you can no longer buy a new unit so it’s rebuild or nothing. So my concern is that it’s getting harder to find parts. If it were an outboard I would have a year old replacement engine with no problem getting parts, instead I have a year old engine that is essentially no longer supported by the manufacturer.

Unless you enjoy and have the equipment to rebuild motors and the desire to search for parts, I’d go outboard.
it is unfortunate you did not have a better mechanic, all parts in the throttle body are generic chevy parts available at all auto parts stores

I currently have an inboard but never again. Unless you enjoy and have the equipment to rebuild motors and the desire to search for parts, I’d go outboard.

Its hard to agree with your blanket condemnation. One of the beauties of the motor in an inboard outboard is that the parts are so plentiful, especially Chevrolet.

Its hard to agree with your blanket condemnation. One of the beauties of the motor in an inboard outboard is that the parts are so plentiful, especially Chevrolet.
It’s not a blanket condemnation but more of a relating of my personal experience and opinion. I like you believed parts were plentiful, but since the Vortec Of my vintage is out of production, it’s my experience that they aren’t. Having said that it may be I’m just not comfortable buying used parts.

Back