In-Water Engine Flush for I/O

TenMile

Hey guys,

What are you guys with I/O engines that keep your boats in the water full time doing (if anything) to flush your engines? I've got a closed cooling system (5.7 Mercruiser MAG Horizon) that pulls in salt water into a heat exchanger. There currently is no fresh water flush option available -- using muffs is basically not possible while in the water.

I read online about the following:
Perko Flush-Pro http://www.boatersworld.com/product/357260074msk.htm
Superflush 400 http://superflushsystems.com/sterndrive.html
Neutra-Salt (a push button system): http://www.volvopentastore.com/QL_Neutra_Salt_Engine_Flushing_Kit/dm/view_id.352393

And there is the option of simply plumbing in some bronze ball valves (or buy one pre-built like this one): http://www.marinetechgroup.com/

What have others done - any feedback?

I believe if you trailer a boat flushing should be done as well as a wash everytime out. But if my boat had fresh water cooling and was moored,I would save the money for new manifolds.

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

I believe if you trailer a boat flushing should be done as well as a wash everytime out. But if my boat had fresh water cooling and was moored,I would save the money for new manifolds.

Hey Brisco -- why not bother flushing when moored?

I'm not against flushing while moored. My Volvo has a setup from the factory that I can hook a hose up to and flush at the dock. What I would not do is spend a bunch of money on those fancy systems out there. I just feel it is more cost effective to replace manifolds. On the other hand if I had a raw water cooled boat again, I would spend the money to have the ability to flush.

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

I'm not against flushing while moored. My Volvo has a setup from the factory that I can hook a hose up to and flush at the dock. What I would not do is spend a bunch of money on those fancy systems out there. I just feel it is more cost effective to replace manifolds. On the other hand if I had a raw water cooled boat again, I would spend the money to have the ability to flush.

Ah understand then. My machine is not completely raw water cooled -- but still has the risers, manifold and impeller that feed water to the heat exchanger. I just had the impeller replaced and want to make sure I keep the cooling system cleaned so I don't have that expense again. If you read that report on the US Navy study -- the thing about deposits in the manifold is that once they start, they grow very rapidly so you never know when the system will fail.

So finally decided on purchasing the unit from MarineTechGroup listed above. I purchased the system rather than making one as all the valves are stainless and bronze and made with marine grade fittings. I'm sure I could have rigged something like this myself, but I wanted to do it once.

Other than the quality of steel and bronze vs. plastic, this system also makes for super-easy winterizing -- just drop a hose in coolant and run it through the engine. Other benefit is that the system can be used as an emergency bilge pump. Attach hose, drop it into the bilge, turn the valves and the water pump drains water from the bilge in an emergency.

I spoke to the inventor/owner on the phone today. Nice guy. Ended up winning an inventor of the year award from one of the boating mags. Install looks painless and will hopefully prolong the life of my risers and manifold.

Quick update on this topic -- I finally got around to completing the installation of this In-Water flush for my I/O. The valve system from Marine Technologies is well designed and very heavy duty. The installation was a pig as my engine is wedged in tighter than a frog's arse. I ended up grabbing a couple of right-angled radiator hose connections from Lordco and re-routed the raw water intake so that the levers are by my rear access hatch. One of the sections of hose I used is clear so that I can also check the flow of water into the engine (ensures valves are open and water pump is working). I also added a deck fitting so that I can connect a garden hose right on the transom without having to stick my head in the bilge. I've also grabbed some Salt-Away with their garden hose kit and have hit the engine and manifold now a few times with it.

So I can now flush both the engine and the leg while the boat is in the water (stays there year round). I can winterize the boat by sticking a hose into a container of Anti-freeze and running the engine -- and in an emergency, this system can use the engine water pump as an emergency bilge pump by sticking a hose in the bilge.

If anyone ever does this -- and needs to add more hose like I did -- make the trip to a marine parts store and get bronze fittings as they are way easier to fit to the hose vs. plastic!!! Spent most of my time wrestling with the radiator hose and fittings in a space where I could only get one hand in!!!

TenMile
<'((((><

I just bought the Super Flush system for my boat. It sounds like a good setup I just hope that it works. How are you making out with your TEN MILE any issues or problems. Cheers

In case anyone isn't aware, the anti-freeze TenMile is talking about would be the non-toxic plumber type.
quote:Originally posted by TenMile

Quick update on this topic -- I finally got around to completing the installation of this In-Water flush for my I/O. The valve system from Marine Technologies is well designed and very heavy duty. The installation was a pig as my engine is wedged in tighter than a frog's arse. I ended up grabbing a couple of right-angled radiator hose connections from Lordco and re-routed the raw water intake so that the levers are by my rear access hatch. One of the sections of hose I used is clear so that I can also check the flow of water into the engine (ensures valves are open and water pump is working). I also added a deck fitting so that I can connect a garden hose right on the transom without having to stick my head in the bilge. I've also grabbed some Salt-Away with their garden hose kit and have hit the engine and manifold now a few times with it.

So I can now flush both the engine and the leg while the boat is in the water (stays there year round). I can winterize the boat by sticking a hose into a container of Anti-freeze and running the engine -- and in an emergency, this system can use the engine water pump as an emergency bilge pump by sticking a hose in the bilge.

If anyone ever does this -- and needs to add more hose like I did -- make the trip to a marine parts store and get bronze fittings as they are way easier to fit to the hose vs. plastic!!! Spent most of my time wrestling with the radiator hose and fittings in a space where I could only get one hand in!!!

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:Originally posted by Wireman

I just bought the Super Flush system for my boat. It sounds like a good setup I just hope that it works. How are you making out with your TEN MILE any issues or problems. Cheers

No issues so far -- seems to work pretty well. I've been using Salt-Away each time out to clean out the cooling system. Only minor thing is that you have to remember to adjust both the valves to open after flushing out the motor. I make sure I check it after flushing and before the next trip out.

TenMile
<'((((><

Back