In a Nutshell- the problems with salmon farming in

Seems like the game farm story repeating itself. Now they are shooting wild deer to prevent the spread of disease.As soon as all the wild fish are dead the problem is solved?:(

IMG_1445.jpg

Is it true that it can take 5 pounds of wild-caught fish to produce just 1 pound of farmed fish—and pollute the environment with tons of fish feces, antibiotic-laden fish feed, and diseased fish carcasses?

Fish in farms spend their entire lives in cramped, filthy enclosures, and many suffer from parasitic infections, diseases, and debilitating injuries. Conditions on some farms are so horrendous that 40 percent of the fish may die before farmers can kill and package them for food.

It amazes me that in this day and age there are enough uneducated people around that keep buying this product to keep this business viable. Obviously there needs to be some PR work done where they sell thier product.

Take only what you need.

F.A.,

The staggering amount of pollution this industry is crapping directly into our waterways is a closely kept secret by both the perpetrators (Norway's fish-farmers) and our collusive government. I've recently posted this information but I'll happily do it again for your benefit. If more people knew exactly how much poison this industry dumps into some of our most pristine and magnificent marine ecosystems 24/7... they'd have been 'punted' long ago. (As you read, bare in mind that you or I can be fined for taking a dump on our boat, and then flushing it out while in a marina).

Pollution volumes from this industry are not readily published nor, it seems, rigorously examined. In the nearly a decade I have been studying this filthy business this is what I've been able to dig up about fish-farm pollution:

- each of BC's more than 100 active farms dumps the daily equivalent raw sewage (untreated) directly into our waterways as does a city of half a million (500,000) people. This toxic cocktail of effluent includes: fish-feces, antibiotics, fungicides (poison), insecticides (poison), tin, zinc, lead and others. (An associate at Pure Salmon also provided data that stated: 3-market ready Atlantics' contribute an equivalent amount of daily feces as 1-adult human).

Let's set aside the other major issues with this industry for now (disease/parasite transfer to wild Pacific salmon, escaping alien fish colonizing our salmon habitat) and focus in on and try to put this pollution thing in perspective.

Let's use a comparison of equivalent (human) pollution from a significantly smaller source than a half-million people; let's use our fair city of Victoria (350,000) as an example, and a well suited one at that as Victoria also sends it's (screened) untreated-sewage directly into our ocean.

Data from a CRD publication pegged sewage volumes at the McCauly & Clover Point outfalls in 1999 at - 120,000/cu. meters/per day.

Other data from other sources on Victoria's sewage:
-Epochtimes: (May-06')120,000,000/LTRS.-DAY
-Victoria Sewage Alliance: 130,000,000/LTRS.-DAY

Extrapolation of the CRD data (x 100/active farms) paints a chilling and sickening picture.

12-million cubic meters of raw-sewage human-equivalent per DAY!

Further: 500,000 cubic meters per HOUR.
8,333 cubic meters per MINUTE.
138.8 cubic meters per SECOND!

... tick... tock... tick... tock... tick...

Avian flu all over the interior. A disease that can kill humans. Filthy confined spaces, mountains of dead birds. Feces everyewhere. High antibiotic usage (way more than farmed salmon). Better get on your high horse there chicken hawk and go shut down that indsutry. Of course you will be laughed at but hey that has never stopped you before.

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

Avian flu all over the interior. A disease that can kill humans. Filthy confined spaces, mountains of dead birds. Feces everyewhere. High antibiotic usage (way more than farmed salmon). Better get on your high horse there chicken hawk and go shut down that indsutry. Of course you will be laughed at but hey that has never stopped you before.

and what native species does this industry threaten to make extinct??

Not a good thing but irrelevant to this thread. Pretty weak. I think there is one poster in this thread being laughed at but it's not LH.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

So open net pens are O.K. because chickens sh*t. Nice logic Einstein.[B)]
It's a confined space as you said. Get a shovel and clean it up. Like to see you do that under a net pen while the tides running. Your comparison is lame.[:eek:)]
Oh I forgot, what if a chicken escapes, now that would be scary.[:0]
LH please don't respond to this moron.
Makes me wonder who the bender bends over for.[xx(]

Howdy,

Thanks boys! Your support is duly noted and greatly appreciated.

I have no problem with Wordbender's, Sockeye's ect. mocking me; one needs thick-skin to do what I do.

As I've recently stated in another post, the day is fast upon us when the fish-farmers who lurk here will run from this forum in disgrace.

Hope to see and get to meet some more of you at the SFAB meeting tonight.

Cheers,
Terry

LH,

Are you actually stating that fish farm effluent is worse than human sewage?

Surely you realise the difference?

Fish are a natural component of the ocean, Human sewage is not.

Human sewage contains Human pathogens, fish does not.

Human sewage contains the heavy metals you state and many more toxins in far greater levels than fish.

Human sewage contains far greater levels of antibiotics, pesticides than fish.

Fish farms are spread out and remote, Human sewage occurs in huge point source contaminations.

I am sure that you will agree with these points and retract your last post.

And I would suggest the rest of you act like adults with decorum and cease the name calling. This is an open forum for every one, whether they agree or disagree, to express their opinion freely and without prejudice.

Sorry sockeye but I see the localized concentration as the problem.Nature can clean-up behind normal concentrations but struggles to keep the area around the farm clean. The same problem happens to humans during a natural disaster.How many diseases concentrate at a refuge camp? Do I need to go on? We are allowing this to happen with out the proper controls.How far are we going to let them rock the boat before the wild salmon are gone? Are we going to stand by and let them profit from destruction of a natural resource?
Not I! I am ready to start kicking butt because there are alternatives and they better get with the program.:(:(:(:(:(

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Fish are a natural component of the ocean, Human sewage is not.
FYI, Atlantic Salmon are not a natural component of the Pacific Ocean.

quote:Fish farms are spread out and remote, Human sewage occurs in huge point source contaminations.

Fish farms are a huge point source contamination. You obviously have never looked underneath a fish farm - I have, it's disgusting!

quote:Human sewage contains the heavy metals

Only if the sewage contains industrial waste.

quote:Human sewage contains far greater levels of antibiotics, pesticides than fish.

Per Litre sewage produced I would argue with that. Any proof?

You seem a 'little' off with your fast science. But that's seems to be common with fish farm supporters.

Gunsmith

I was talking about waste products, and their composition. But yes if you put too much in one area it will create a problem. Of course the first to get affected by this would be the salmon in the pens, as the wild have the ability to swim away. By the way, at properly managed farm sites, nature has very little trouble keeping the area clean, and in fact their quite typically is a zone of enrichment surrounding farms, where there is an increase in the levels of wild populations

Do you really think that given all the human activities that have a detrimental affect on the wild salmon that farming is the only one worthy of such effort, go kick some ....? Do you really buy the image that has been created by Morton et al of the uncaring salmon companies? Do you know how much money these companies contribute to the preservation of the wild salmon? Do you realise how many salmon farmers volunteer at local DFO hatcheries, and in Watershed societies, and other conservation organisations? Should take a poll of all the people here on what they do to preserve the wild salmon. Without exception, the final extinction of animals is the result of the person who kills the last one. How hypocritical of the people on this forum to profess their desire to preserve the very species that they so much enjoy killing. Check out the posts and pictures on this and other websites. Who will be the one who kills the last one?

There was a class action lawsuit raised by a number of 1st nation's today against the liberal gov't for supporting fish farms.
This might actually get results !

quote:Do you realise how many salmon farmers volunteer at local DFO hatcheries, and in Watershed societies, and other conservation organisations? Should take a poll of all the people here on what they do to preserve the wild salmon.

Being active in salmon conservation myself I can tell you that there is a far far greater number of fishermen involved than fish farmers. I personally have yet to meet a fish farmer at a hatchery yet but I have met hundreds of fishermen there. Especially at the DFO hatcheries that you mentioned I cannot recall meeting a fish farmer.

Listen to yourself sockeye you are really making some statements that seem to deny the facts. I have yet to see in writing actual proof that the are contributing any but disaster to the wild stocks. I will believe their goodwill when I see all the pens moved to dry land the same as the fish farming in California. If you really believe what you write that is your right but I see the fish pens the same as tailings ponds, they ran under the radar for years now they are a big problem for the companies that own them and the government let alone the hazards they present to everything around them. They are using a cheap lazy and profitable way of doing this and when the truth hits they pack up and leave their mess.[V]

IMG_1445.jpg

Chris,

I am, and have been for several years involved in Salmon Conservation.

Salmon crap is salmon Crap. I did not say that the Atlantics were natural component, juat their crap
Do you know what gets dumped down our toilets, storm sewer etc... Human sewage does not require Industrial input to contain all manner of metals and toxins.
Are you actually saying that there are more antibitoics fed to fish than are taken by humans in Vancouver?
With regard to point sources, yes farms are very small point sources. Have you looked at the plume of sewage entering Juan de Fuca from Victoria? Now that's a huge point source.

RS Craven Yes there was talk of a suit, but I am not sure if they actually filed it or if they just wanted the media sensationalism from it. Rememeber Don Staniford? He still owes Creative salmon for his court appearance.

Gunsmith, Yes the farms are on land, and California has no wild salmon. Strange isn't it? Sort of goes against yours and everyone else's arguments doesn't it?

Salmon farming spawns aboriginal lawsuit against B.C. government
Last Updated: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 | 3:58 PM PT Comments41Recommend31
The Canadian Press

A Northern Vancouver Island First Nation is preparing a class-action lawsuit against the B.C. government, alleging nearby salmon farms are harming wild salmon stocks.

The Alert Bay natives will release details of the planned class-action lawsuit Wednesday at a press conference in Vancouver.

First Nations and environmental groups have long complained that waste from the farms is dangerous to wild stock, and that farmed salmon spread disease and contribute to higher concentrations of sea lice.

A spokeswoman for the B.C. Agriculture and Lands Ministry, which is responsible for aquaculture in British Columbia, said the government is aware of the legal action but isn't prepared to make an immediate comment.

The natives said the legal action will be the first class-action lawsuit in Canada launched to protect aboriginal treaty rights.

There are 29 salmon farms in the Broughton Archipelago near Alert Bay, and the natives believe the farms have contributed to a drastic decline in wild salmon stocks.

"California has no wild salmon."

Really???

Then what are those shiny silvery anadromous fish that thousands of Californian anglers catch in a variety of Californian rivers?

Smelt?

Give your head a shake there buddy.

Some lies you can get away with.....but not this one.

Take care.

Back