Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

Tossing this idea out there, one that Serengetti floated a while back. Concept is a combined halibut aggregate slot limit. The limit would be you can have either 1 fish or 2 in possession, so long as the total aggregate length doesn't exceed the aggregate limit of "X" total slot. So if for example the limit is 126cm, then so long as you only have either 1 fish or 2 fish that total up to that length then you are OK. Gives angler a choice of which fish they want to target. Respects that every area has different fish (size etc) that are unique to their situation. Would be a bit of an enforcement challenge, but with everyone recording the length it provides enforcement with a simple cut and dried limit. Hopefully Joe angler can add!

Guess I'm hearing that most people on S Coast are looking for 1 fish of largest size they can get, whereas N Coast guys are looking more for 2 fish because a lot of their areas are chicken ranches. Not all, but the majority have chicken ranches so they want to be able to get 2 fish. Rather than fight amoung ourselves, perhaps an aggregate slot limit is a way forward that avoids having to create a North vs South regulation.

Tossing this idea out there, one that Serengetti floated a while back. Concept is a combined halibut aggregate slot limit. The limit would be you can have either 1 fish or 2 in possession, so long as the total aggregate length doesn't exceed the aggregate limit of "X" total slot. So if for example the limit is 126cm, then so long as you only have either 1 fish or 2 fish that total up to that length then you are OK. Gives angler a choice of which fish they want to target. Respects that every area has different fish (size etc) that are unique to their situation. Would be a bit of an enforcement challenge, but with everyone recording the length it provides enforcement with a simple cut and dried limit. Hopefully Joe angler can add!

Guess I'm hearing that most people on S Coast are looking for 1 fish of largest size they can get, whereas N Coast guys are looking more for 2 fish because a lot of their areas are chicken ranches. Not all, but the majority have chicken ranches so they want to be able to get 2 fish. Rather than fight amoung ourselves, perhaps an aggregate slot limit is a way forward that avoids having to create a North vs South regulation.

Its a solid idea for sure. I don't see it as enforcement challenge, You have to record the lengths. Let it happen for once season, and prove it out. If it becomes an challenge then so be it but anything else would be pure speculation by DFO. Any cheating under the eather/or system I see happening under any system.

I

Yes!!! Spent a bunch of the weekend comparing that to the combo shoulder thing. His idea provides a much more level playing field than the one I keep going back to.

I Think he has come up with a great idea .
So ya it would get a yes vote from me.

Just read your post again searun. If reading correctly your saying if 126 was the max size then you could either have 1 @ 126 or any combo of 2 that does not add up to be more than 126?? Am I reading that right?

That would mean if you kept an 83 cm fish you would then only be able to keep a 43cm on second day.

I don’t remember it reading that way wen he put it out originally??

If I have miss read your post , my apologies.

Yeah. Mine was using two options that take up same amount of TAC and giving anglers options. So they could take two smaller fish or one larger.

For example (just an example). 1/1 133cm OR 1/2 118cm/80cm. Whereas both are about 65lbs of fish total. Plus on the decision table they use up approximately the same amount of TAC. Think that’s more what Pat meant.

Its a solid idea for sure. I don't see it as enforcement challenge, You have to record the lengths. Let it happen for once season, and prove it out. If it becomes an challenge then so be it but anything else would be pure speculation by DFO. Any cheating under the eather/or system I see happening under any system.

X2. I think at this point we gotta throw a little more risk into it. Risk it for the biscuit.

Yeah. Mine was using two options that take up same amount of TAC and giving anglers options. So they could take two smaller fish or one larger.

For example (just an example). 1/1 133cm OR 1/2 118cm/80cm. Whereas both are about 65lbs of fish total. Plus on the decision table they use up approximately the same amount of TAC. Think that’s more what Pat meant.

thats what I thought i remembered it as. Thanks

Yup give up more and more guys DFO likes this kinda talk . instead we should be telling them to shove it up there butt and give us more instead of CUT CUT CUT . that was MY recommendation years ago and no one supported it well HERE it comes MORE **** coming on salmon,halibut,prawns,clams,oysters . are you guys that blind that you haven't seen a trend in the last 14 years of more and more reductions while other user groups get more???
NOG had it right along with other on here ... playing NICE has got us no where....

Not funny but that was the first thing I thought of when I first read all this ********, Wolf told us this years ago.

Thanks Wolf, maybe I am NOT the crazy one. In a few years when "fish to pittance TAC" hali sport fishing EXTINCTION happens it will be a sour forum but you will be able to say told you so. I will remember.

HM

Wanna hear my doomsday scenario for chinook next year,

area G commercial fishery gets cut

JDF goes to non retention or hatchery only for part of the early/mid season

WCVI goes to 2 daily and 1 must be hatchey marked, 1 wild

SOG goes to a slot and 2 daily, 1 day wild Slot and 1 must hatchey marked

ECVI north goes to 2 daily, 1 wild, 1 must be hatchery marked

OR some form of this while fraser stocks are in the area

Wanna hear my doomsday scenario for chinook next year,

area G commercial fishery gets cut

JDF goes to non retention or hatchery only for part of the early/mid season

WCVI goes to 2 daily and 1 must be hatchey marked, 1 wild

SOG goes to a slot and 2 daily, 1 day wild Slot and 1 must hatchey marked

ECVI north goes to 2 daily, 1 wild, 1 must be hatchery marked

OR some form of this while fraser stocks are in the area

Were already had a daily limit of 1 last year in the SoG....the above might be considered an improvement (provided you aren’t after keeping the biggest fish) for SoG fishing.

Were already had a daily limit of 1 last year in the SoG....the above might be considered an improvement (provided you aren’t after keeping the biggest fish) for SoG fishing.

Yeah who knows I was just pulling that stuff out of my butt lol

Im glad you seem to find this amusing Derby. for a rep you sure do come off sometimes as being quite, you know im not even going to say it as it really doesnt matter anymore. One thing I can say DFO and their VOODOO math is whats killing us , 1 time in the 33 years ive been fishing they have approached me regarding how many halibut I have caught . so when they say "we have used up this amount they are guessing "
OHHH but I know you are working behind the scenes and behind the fishermen s back to make it right ...... hhhhmmm sounds like our prime minister ......

VOODOO math is whats killing us , 1 time in the 33 years ive been fishing they have approached me regarding how many halibut I have caught . so when they say "we have used up this amount they are guessing "

Agreed, they have a formula based on fly-by's.
# of boats fishing x 2 people x 2 Halibut = so many fish per day.
They don't count them on your license so how else could they know ?
It's a crock as they are basing our TAC on a semi-educated guess.
I will say that these size restrictions have kept me and several friends
out of the fishery for the last couple years.
Can't be bothered to fish for chickens and throw any decent fish back.

Same here, made 1 trip north island last year. 4 hali all over, came home without. Had trouble finding them in Vic area so put boat away, sockeye was a small blessing, boat came back out and had a few fun days. Island lake smallmouth were awesome and filled my fishing time. Good to see the proposal to season and limit again. This year Tidal water???? Next???? Don't worry about 3 years and beyond, we will manage to TAC of o/o. Some think its a joke, I had exact same thought as Wolf about PM..... Maybe we could recommend coast wide tidal water catch and release fisheries for all species.

HM

Interesting comment from Wolf that he personally kept up to date logbook and wasn't asked for it. Doesn't the guide logbooks verify the effort? I think the logbooks that the guides fill out are supposed to verify the arial count and the creel surveyor. We always get into this fight within Area19/20. Did we get a lot of these logbooks done this season and sent to department? If not why not? I am not trying to **** anyone off but if we are complaining about data this is what we will be asked.

Im glad you seem to find this amusing Derby. for a rep you sure do come off sometimes as being quite, you know im not even going to say it as it really doesnt matter anymore. One thing I can say DFO and their VOODOO math is whats killing us , 1 time in the 33 years ive been fishing they have approached me regarding how many halibut I have caught . so when they say "we have used up this amount they are guessing "
OHHH but I know you are working behind the scenes and behind the fishermen s back to make it right ...... hhhhmmm sounds like our prime minister ......

Call me what u want :rolleyes: doesn't matter to me... All i see when u post this garage up is a unaccountable guide not getting what he wants & not willing to get off your butt and be part of the solution but instead chooses to be part of the problem .....

received_10155272636292793.gif

Last edited:
Call me what u want :rolleyes: doesn't matter to me... All i see when u post this garage up is a unaccountable guide not getting what he wants & not willing to get off your butt to and part of the solution but instead chooses to be part of the problem .....

View attachment 41893

Voodoo Math is like the catch statistics presented to us at a winter 2017 SFAB meeting at Esquimalt Anglers, showing 6 halibut caught off Nanaimo in December. When they were both closed and in Nanaimo that month. Given to us by Brad Beath in person. Also showed Ling Cod that month, I forgot the number, but closed coastwide.

So yes, Wolf is right, the catch data has a lot of VooDoo applied to it. At another SFAB meeting in spring 2009, I personally was told that they can't have an "infinitly adjustable model", when I suggested the overflight pictures showing boats in JDF with an orange ball in front of them were fishing for halibut, and should not be "penalizing" us for Salmon effort.

90K pound of halibut caught in JDF East this spring, when I can't think of a single guide who caught more then 20 of them in Area 19 thru 20-4 this year (Remember, not including Renfrew which is area 21/121 mainly)? VooDoo math. And we are not talking about part timers, but very heavy hitters in the halibut world.

Filing out log books as a guide religiously since 2008 and not even getting a call for one for the 2018 season? Yet a shortage of data is why we are getting pummelled in the spring time?

Back