Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

Or put the hali commies on notice that the rec reps at the IPHC will NOT vote in a unanimous Canadian vote if the domestic split issue isn't dealt with. Of course that could mean the Canadian TAC goes drastically down for all at first but it would quickly force the commies to the table to negotiate. This fake group hugging attitude of the Canadian delegation at the IPHC has to end until a fair split has been achieved. But this would require some BALLs by the rec reps. Do we have that?

do we have stats that show what portion of rec TAC is used by non residents? guided or not, makes no dif for my purpose . just looking for total amount. if not who from dfo would I ask?

Thanks

do we have stats that show what portion of rec TAC is used by non residents? guided or not, makes no dif for my purpose . just looking for total amount. if not who from dfo would I ask?

Thanks
If we can’t obtain more quota from commercial, Canadian recreational should take precedence. Evaluate and adjust.

I'm still coming over to halibut fish. Even if I have to have stizzla take me.

I am curious. Would you still come over and fish Halibut if you where required to obtain quota via the XRQ in order to retain a Halibut.

I am curious. Would you still come over and fish Halibut if you where required to obtain quota via the XRQ in order to retain a Halibut.
I'm from Washington state, where we get to halibut fish for about a week. And I have to chose between going out of Lapush and Neahbay on the ocean or going out of my home port of Port Angeles. It sucks, Because I remember what it used to be like. I have been around just long enough to see my favorite past time completely screwed up.

I'm from Washington state, where we get to halibut fish for about a week. And I have to chose between going out of Lapush and Neahbay on the ocean or going out of my home port of Port Angeles. It sucks, Because I remember what it used to be like. I have been around just long enough to see my favorite past time completely screwed up.

I can totally appreciate that and my question is not intended to offend you. ( hope it did not come off like that.) None the less I am Curious as to your answer. Fair question I think as I am watching my passion get taken away now

Last edited:
I have always appreciated the fact that I could come over and take advantage of your great fishing. I would never take from a local Canadian what I myself wouldn't gladly give in return.

I have always appreciated the fact that I could come over and take advantage of your great fishing. I would never take from a local Canadian what I myself wouldn't gladly give in return.

So no answer then. Ok By all means keep coming up here and chipping away at my disappearing quota.

Jencourt, If you ever want to come over and halibut fish, I will help you in every way I can. Best of luck to you.

Yep. And yet we still have Hero's trying like hell to make us fit within the tiny little windows afforded us by the Department. And some years it works. And most of the time it is barely, but not really acceptable to most that do fish.

Quit buying into DFO's ********.
Quit trying to make the recreational sector's take fit into their ever decreasing windows.
It is a Fool's Errand to keep on trying to do so, especially in these days of ever increasing restrictions.

Want to REALLY make a difference?
Call them on it.
Go for 2 & 2 halibut, no size restriction.
Get that season shut down bloody early.
**** off the vast majority of this sector, and do so intentionally.
Only way to motivate change.
Really.

Buying into the "we can make it work" BS has cost us, and cost us dearly.
DFO recognizes that we can "make do" with the pittance they offer.
Due exactly to these very efforts.
Enough.
The split is FAR from "fair" or "equitable".
And everyone involved recognizes that.

You want a change.
MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Eat that quota as fast as you possibly can, then make the point the pittance is not sufficient.
Demand more.
Rally the troops, and take it to the media once again.
The "common man" is getting damn close to having had enough, and there are allies unexplored out there that can help make this happen.
Be Effing BOLD for a change, put up with a little pain for a longer term gain.

Or wallow in the mess you are openly at this point suggesting you are willing to maintain into your future...

Nog
Absolutely brilliant, the ONLY way to stop or change this annual BS. Stir **** now or continue annually until we are 0/0 and DFO and commies get what they have been after all along.

HM

I say ****’em burn though the TAC as fast as possible and go after more. We only need a 1-2% increase and all this ******** goes away. And we better start soon or it will be prawns and crab next. The commercial boys are going to own it all at this pace.​

We need more than that. At 25% if Canada had 6,000,000 lbs tac we would then have 1.5 million. That would be 1/2 no size I’m sure. At 5mill lbs we would get 1.25 mill lbs. which is 100,000 lbs more than we used with 1/2 one any size, one under 83cm

We need more than that. At 25% if Canada had 6,000,000 lbs tac we would then have 1.5 million. That would be 1/2 no size I’m sure. At 5mill lbs we would get 1.25 mill lbs. which is 100,000 lbs more than we used with 1/2 one any size, one under 83cm

Just curious SG what effect would it have on your business, if the tac went to Canadians only?

Sorry I stand corrected. I still say burn though it as fast a possible and go after more.

That’d never happen. But with Alberta in the dumps it would be very hard on us. Back when Alberta was booming and US dollar on par though I’d guess 75-80% of our guests were Canadian. Summer time is the slow season in the sands as well so that works out well.

Last edited:
I see less Albertans when their economy is booming...they are all too busy working and hording cash knowing a slow period will come...then they will have time off and a chance to spend some of what they horded.

I was out working night shift this summer near hwy 99 near the border crossing. You guys would be astonished at the amount of American boats going both directions at 1 am.

All with nice twin motors, radar and downriggers

I was out working night shift this summer near hwy 99 near the border crossing. You guys would be astonished at the amount of American boats going both directions at 1 am.

All with nice twin motors, radar and downriggers

There was a family of 8 (6 kids) from Oregon at Browns Bay a couple years ago.

The dad said they came every year to load the freezer since the licenses were so cheap. They packed out a full limit of salmon (it was a pink year).

That’d never happen. But with Alberta in the dumps it would be very hard on us. Back when Alberta was booming and US dollar on par though I’d guess 75-80% of our guests were Canadian. Summer time is the slow season in the sands as well so that works out well.

I am just trying to gain perspective here. Are you saying if non residents had to use xrq to keep a halibut it would be hard on business? Not talking all fish, just halibut.
Again trying to gain more info. That's why I asked the original question. Do we, or DFO have stats on the non resident use of Halibut TAC ,

I know it is not a subject many like to open for discussion, but if that number is as significant as some think it is then maybe it should be talked about more? Are we exporting a crap load of our 15%. Or is it not that much?

Back