Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

Whole in the Water

Please come out and give you input and ideas to proposed halibut fishing options and recommendations. Now is the time to provide your input if this is important to you!

NOTICE OF IMPORTANT VICTORIA AND AREA SFAB MEETING:

To cover remaining agenda items from previous fall SFAB meeting

WHAT : Victoria, Sidney, Sooke Area SFAB Committee Meeting
(OPEN TO ANGLING COMMUNITY AND THE PUBLIC)

AGENDA: Halibut 2019 TAC Expectation and Committee Guidance on 2019 Season
(See attached Chart)
- DFO Fall 2018 Regional Updates
- Creel Verification Project - Trailer Counting 2018 + Camera Info + Angler DNA
Collection

WHEN:
Tuesday November 27th, 2018 (7:00 p.m.- 9 p.m.)

WHERE: Esquimalt Anglers Association, 1101 Munro St, Victoria BC V9A 5P2

NOTES: Please Review Attached Documents for Halibut 2019 TAC and Options.
- If you cannot attend the meeting please respond to my email: RyanC.SFAB@gmail.com

Regards,
Ryan Chamberland
Victoria Committee Chair
Sport Fishing Advisory Board
(250) 858-3611
RyanC.SFAB@gmail.com

Last edited:
It says to please review attached docs. - Re: 2019 Tac and Options. However, there does not seem to be any attached to this message. Not sure if it was the security add ons for my browser that did not let them display or if they are just not there. Anyone else get them?

The attachment isn’t there because it would have been included from the original sender to the mail list...this has been forwarded or copied and posted here but no attachment

Please attend and let your SFAC know your preferences. You will be asked:

1) Do you prefer 1 per day 1 possession or 1 per day 2 possession?
2) What are your preferences in terms of season length?
3) Is a full season important to you or are you satisfied with a shorter season and potential to catch larger fish?
4) Other suggestions?

The options tables have a number of options listed. They also model what things look like if we see a reduction in TAC. It is most likely we will see a 10% or possibly more reduction over last season. That has to be determined at the IPHC process and will be announced Feb 1. So the tables are set out so you can see what that could look like, because we do not know for certain what TAC Canada will have to work with.

Assuming a 10% reduction we will have 835,191 pounds to work with.

Canada has been under our Rec TAC every year since 2013 with the exception of 2017 where we closed early in September.

On the tables Options that appear to fit the available TAC (10% reduction) and allow a full season (March to Dec) are:

2 Fish:

102cm/83cm - 104,400 pounds under 835,191 TAC
110/81 - 2,051 # under
110/83 - 3,437 # over
110/90 - 10,216 # over

2 fish with delayed start that work are:

115/78 - June 1 start
115/83 - June 1 start
115/90 - June 1 start but would be over by 5,405 pounds

1 Fish; 1 possession:

The Options model applies a 15% reduction to account for only 1 fish, and deducting for the 2nd small fish that drops off. The problem with the 15% assumption is that is in incorrect. The IArc internet survey shows that of all rec anglers who fished halibut, 30% of them took home their full 2 fish limit. The deduction therefore shouldn't be 15%, it should be something closer to 30%. Assuming a 23% reduction or rather deduction is applied here's the 1 fish options that work:

120 cm = 800,412 pounds or 34,779 under
124 cm = 820,197 pounds or 14,994 under
126 cm = 833,499 pounds or 1,692 under
133 cm = 895,173 pounds or 59,983 OVER

The only way 133 cm works is to truncate the season with a start in May 1 and end in Sept 30

That looks like 836,880 pounds or 1,689 OVER

Get out and let your SFAC know what you prefer.

3) Is a full season important to you or are you satisfied with a shorter season and potential to catch larger fish?
4) Other suggestions?

The options tables have a number of options listed. They also model what things look like if we see a reduction in TAC. It is most likely we will see a 10% or possibly more reduction over last season. That has to be determined at the IPHC process and will be announced Feb 1. So the tables are set out so you can see what that could look like, because we do not know for certain what TAC Canada will have to work with.

Canada has been under our Rec TAC every year since 2013 with the exception of 2017 where we closed early in September.

On the tables Options that appear to fit the available TAC (10% reduction) and allow a full season (March to Dec) are:

2 Fish:

110/81 - 2,051 # under
110/83 - 3,437 # over
110/90 - 10,216 # over

115/78 - June 1 start
115/83 - June 1 start

1 Fish; 1 possession:

The Options model applies a 15% reduction to account for only 1 fish, and deducting for the 2nd small fish that drops off. The problem with the 15% assumption is that is in incorrect. The IArc internet survey shows that of all rec anglers who fished halibut, 30% of them took home their full 2 fish limit. The deduction therefore shouldn't be 15%, it should be something closer to 30%. Assuming a 23% reduction or rather deduction is applied here's the 1 fish options that work:

The only way 133 cm works is to truncate the season with a start in May 1 and end in Sept 30

Thanks!! Searun! you have no idea the pain I have gone though to try to get this. With out you posting this I would still be in the dark without knowledge of these options.

Oops forgot the Combo Options, the ones that work with 10% reduced TAC are:

Combo 1

Feb - Dec 2 shoulder at 110/83; followed by summer of 110 single fish only - which will be under TAC by 48,779
Note that this option is a shoulder season allowing 2 fish - shoulder being Feb to May, then Sept to Dec

Combo 4

Feb - Dec 1 shoulder at 110 cm; followed by 2 summer of 110/83 - summer being June, July, Aug
That option is under TAC by 14,952 pounds

4) Other suggestions?

2 Fish:

110/81 - 2,051 # under
110/83 - 3,437 # over
110/90 - 10,216 # over

115/78 - June 1 start
115/83 - June 1 start

1 Fish; 1 possession:

For folks who don't live near any of the meetings, is it possible to let the Rep know what our preference would be & have it counted?

For folks who don't live near any of the meetings, is it possible to let the Rep know what our preference would be & have it counted?
The SFAC meetings are recording votes or input from people in the meetings. If you have a friend attending the meeting, perhaps let them know your preference so they can possibly speak to your interests/needs.

I will admit ignorance to the SFAB process.

What chance do options that do not favour lodges have of being selected? Do areas that have no halibut fishery still get a vote on proposed regulations?

I will admit ignorance to the SFAB process.

What chance do options that do not favour lodges have of being selected? Do areas that have no halibut fishery still get a vote on proposed regulations?
Yes absolutely. SFAB process is grass roots, and all the SFAC (local groups) have opportunity to provide input and motions to support that input. I would strongly urge that if you remotely have those concerns, please attend the meetings in your area and see for yourself. Yes there are people involved who are from lodges or guides, but there are also similar or more numbers of people who are regular anglers.

My personal background as a guide is that like many guides, I started my fishing career as an avid angler and slowly that interest found me sharing my passion for fishing with guests on charters. Generally speaking things that interest guides, also interest anglers. Not always though, and that is why everyone should be involved. While we all might not agree on certain management measures or actions whether we are pure recreational or guide fishers, we are all participants in this great fishery.

Your personal input is just as important as any guide or lodge person. Be heard.

Its not going to matter as DFO will do whatever they want ...on a whim ..And some didnt even want it opened early as they figured it doesn't effect them. these are the FACTS.. area 19/20 will once again get the shaft..

Its not going to matter as DFO will do whatever they want ...on a whim ..And some didnt even want it opened early as they figured it doesn't effect them. these are the FACTS.. area 19/20 will once again get the shaft..

Their is not alot of tac to gain by shutting down the shoulder seasons.

However their is not enough tac to have a full season and two fish and keep the size reasonable imo either

If I had to guess it’s going to be the northern lodges wanting 2 fish and a shorter season

And the south coast wanting 1 fish and a full season

1 fish and a shorter season would give the biggest size but is it worth haveing a shorter season? Might not be enough their to make shutting down the shoulder season worth it

Anyways if I was you I wouldn’t worry about halibut I would worry about have any resemblance of a reasonable chinook season. If I was you I would go look at the Fraser river chinook thread I posted. Then look at all the stocks in trouble and compare them to the CWT data and the Avid angler data coming out of 19/20 and see if you intercept any of thoes stocks.

Also Chanda has to make cuts to chinook as it’s obligation to the chinook chapter in the pacific salmon treaty.

I don’t think any area is going to not feel some more pain.

One fish per day 133cm, 6 annual, even if it means a shorter season is what I'd like to see.
that won't likely happen though, wasn't that long ago we had no size limit and no annual limit.
times have changed for sure.

Last edited:
Can't figure out how to add the attachments. You can email Ryan to get him to send you the attachments at RyanC.SFAB@gmail.com
46504104_10155972412455658_1897659981805649920_o.jpg

Searun, the terms of reference for the entire SFAB process is that the primary user shall have the deciding vote at the table. That means the reps will be 50% from the secondary users (industry - guides, lodge owners, manufacturers etc) and 50% from primary (Joe fishers) with the deciding vote going to primary. So when the vote would be held on the halibut issue..in the event of a tie the primary users would rule with the deciding vote. What is the make up of the SFAB process in the south coast as it sits now after the last round of elections? In Victoria and Vancouver there was an obvious hostile take over by the secondary users to remove primary reps. In other words industry wants to dictate the fishing season for everyone in BC. I hear the ratio is now something like 16 secondary and only 4 primary. If so that is completely out of wack with the guiding terms of reference for these boards and must be fixed ASAP. Just putting this out their so all the Joe Fishers know what is going on!!!!

Last edited:
One fish per day 133cm, 6 annual, even if it means a shorter season is what I'd like to see.
that won't likely happen though, wasn't that long ago we had no size limit and no annual limit.
times have changed for sure.

Be sure you go Scott. The meeting we had in Nanaimo was worth going to on this.

Back