Important Mtg. Reminder: Nov. 6 Victoria & Area SFAB Meeting

Whole in the Water

Here is a reminder of a very important Victoria and area SFAB meeting so I thought I would post this on behalf of our hard working local SFAB reps. This is our opportunity to hear what is being proposed for next year and to have input to recommendations to be brought to DFO for the 2019 recreational fishing season. Please attend and show your support!

REMINDER NOTICE OF UPCOMING VICTORIA SFAB EVENING MEETING

WHAT: Victoria and Area SFAB Committee Post-Season Meeting

WHEN: Tuesday November 6th, 2018 (7:00 p.m.- 10:30 p.m.)

WHERE - Location Sooke Community Hall, 2037 Shields Road, Sooke BC

This meeting is open to the angling community and the public - please feel free to broadcast this information so we consult with a greater audience.

Draft meeting minutes from Wed Oct 17th attached to this email

Draft Agenda for Tuesday Evening's meeting:

Welcome and Introductions

Remembering Gary West

Shellfish Aquaculture Tenure Proposals - Possession Point, Sooke (Presentation) Summary of last Victoria and Area SFAB Committee Meeting (Wed Oct 17th) Adoption of the minutes from the last meeting SC Regional Updates

2018 Consultation Timing regarding Salmon Measures (SFAB, IHPC, 25-35% Redux, SRKW) Post-Season Chinook Salmon Fishing (Angler Observations)

2018 and 2019 Halibut Seasons + TAC Expectation and Committee Guidance on 2019 Season (partial) Southern Resident Killer Whale Measures and JDF and Gulf Islands Closures Commercial Crabbing Concerns Shellfish Aquaculture Tenure Proposals - Salt Spring Island Creel Verification Project - Trailer Counting 2018 + Camera Info + angler DNA Collection

Enhancement Update

SFAB Representative Elections

I look forward to seeing you there,

Regards,

Chris
(778) 426-4141
C.Bos@shaw.ca<mailto:C.Bos@shaw.ca>

I am already booked. I hope to be at the meeting in Lake Cowichan on Wednesday

Great opportunity for everyone to provide your input into the 2019 halibut regulation choices. Will be a very challenging year ahead as we expect our TAC to be reduced. That will lead to difficult choices, and we need everyone's input and guidance on your preferences as they try to fit those choices to the available TAC.

The notice went out a few weeks ago this is a reminder for those like me who forget easily now.

It is very important that everyone attend this meeting! Someone has thrown in their hat to be your representative. This person last year did not wish for a March April halibut opening as his lodge did not fish for them at that time, and is a fishing guide!

It is important that everyone attends this meeting and votes! You do not want an inexperienced fishing guide on the local SFAB board, as he does not fish all year round like the rest of us do. Plus, he is young, and with a total of 4 years in the busiiness, hardly an experienced choice. This meeting is VERY important.

Come out to vote. Our fishery is getting pummelled enough as it is. We do not need someone who is young, emotional, and most importantly, came to the Sooke Charter Boat Association meeting this spring babbling about "salmon diversion points".

It is very important that everyone attend this meeting! Someone has thrown in their hat to be your representative. This person last year did not wish for a March April halibut opening as his lodge did not fish for them at that time, and is a fishing guide!

It is important that everyone attends this meeting and votes! You do not want an inexperienced fishing guide on the local SFAB board, as he does not fish all year round like the rest of us do. Plus, he is young, and with a total of 4 years in the busiiness, hardly an experienced choice. This meeting is VERY important.

Come out to vote. Our fishery is getting pummelled enough as it is. We do not need someone who is young, emotional, and most importantly, came to the Sooke Charter Boat Association meeting this spring babbling about "salmon diversion points".

X2 I agree very important meeting to attend!

I thought we voted at the October 17th meeting at Esquimalt Anglers for the local representatives?

Well then, I'm complaining that we had a quorum on that date, held a vote and those results should stand!!!

Are you guys trying to sell more raffle tickets?

Couple things with your post that are ridiculous. We should be encouraging young people to get involved in leadership roles. Your post just shows how the old boys club is alive and well. Also, if my sfac chair doesn’t get emotional about sticking up for sports fishermen then they shouldn’t be in that position. Because someone is passionate about something doesn’t mean they make wrong decisions, often the opposite.

First off a sincere congrats Ryan. But was disgusted by the crowd moving the vote ahead of items of importance on the agenda because they wanted to go home. So Chris obliged and the vote was held and as soon as the voting was over everyone got up and quickly left without dealing with the 2 items remaining and without the meeting being adjourned. The present board took some time to prepare to speak to all items of the agenda and to leave like that on mass was disrespectful and rude. Many of those there just to vote I've never seen at a meeting ever and many others very rarely.

Last edited:
Back