Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

Pacific Angler Report (Copied)
Vancouver Saltwater Salmon Fishing Report

Well it’s official. The DFO and Fisheries Minister have made it non-retention for chinook salmon on the south coast. They just shut down some of the best fishing I have ever seen in our local waters and what is very likely the best fishing on the entire coast right now. That’s just our area. Let’s not forget about the iconic sport fishing communities on the Island like Tofino, Ucluelet, Bamfield, Campbell River, Renfrew, and Victoria, just to name a few. The result is thousands of people are going to lose their jobs and it is going to cost this province hundreds of millions of dollars.

So how did we get here? Well it’s a complicated scenario and the road to this closure has a lot of ups and downs and twists and turns, but it goes something like this. Chinook stocks are diverse. Some come from the Fraser, some from rivers that empty directly into the ocean, some spend 2 years in the freshwater before they leave to the ocean, others out migrate right away, some spend their ocean life in local waters, some go way offshore. So, as you can imagine, some stocks might be suffering while others are doing very well. Large blanket closures are an ineffective way to manage such a diverse resource.

Enter interior Fraser chinook. These fish spawn in the interior tributaries to the Fraser, and they hang out in these rivers for 2 years before out-migrating. To say things are not going well up there is an understatement; less water, long hot summers, warm water, forest fires, siltation, are just a few of the issues these fish have to face for 2 years. The end result is the survival rate is extremely low. The few that do make it after 2 years then have to make it past the seals as they leave the Fraser. Of all the out migrating salmonids, these 2 year old chinook smolts are some of the biggest, only second to steelhead smolts. As a result, the seals focus on them, as they do steelhead smolts. As many as 47% of them are consumed by seals. The few that make it then head offshore to feed and return 2 years later. In general, they come back around the south end of Vancouver Island and into the south arm of the Fraser, returning in the months of April, May, June, and July. There is no doubt these fish need to be protected and we are all for that. Sport fishing regulations have been in place to do so for many years, so much so that our exploitation rate for these fish is either at 0% or so small that it is negligible.

So, what about all these fish off South Bowen right now and over in Nanaimo and Gabriola? Well these are not the fish I just described above. DFO has a lot of DNA data that shows what fish we are catching, that is how we can be so certain. This is a scientific fact, not speculation. The fish we are we catching in these areas are from a variety of rivers where things are not as dire as the conditions seen in the interior of the province. The chinook stocks from these systems are stable, and in some cases are at or near record returns. There is no conservation concern for these stocks and a 2 per day limit is sustainable. A 1 per day limit is certainly sustainable and acceptable from a scientific fisheries management viewpoint. If you have been fishing these past 2 weeks you know how many fish are out there.

Then why did we get shut down? This is the question you should be asking and I am going to tell you the politics behind it. The reality is this. The interior Fraser chinook need protection. Sport fishing regulations have been in place to do so for many years as noted earlier, and commercial troll opportunities for these fish have been reduced heavily in the past and this year are non-existent. The last piece of the puzzle is First Nations in river fisheries for these same fish. You can’t carve any more meat off the bone from the recreational or commercial fleet, the rest has to come from First Nations in river fisheries. This isn’t me speaking; this is the DFO science that was presented in a variety of meetings and forums. The only way to put more of these fish on the spawning beds is to stop in river netting of these fish. Hence the recent closures and reduced opportunities for First Nations over the coming months as per the announcement yesterday. I hope you are connecting the dots here and asking yourself this question. So why is a sustainable fishery like we see off South Bowen, for non-interior Fraser chinook, which are experiencing good to excellent survival rates, closed? You should also be asking yourself why this fishery is closed when it has absolutely nothing to do with these interior Fraser chinook. Well we asked these very questions to the Minister and DFO these past few days. The answer we received was this. Despite the fact our current local chinook fisheries have no impact on these interior Fraser chinook, they have to close the recreational fleet on a grandiose scale so they can reduce First Nation in river harvesting opportunities for interior Fraser chinook. We pointed to their science that shows we aren’t catching those fish and asked if we could have 1 a day, the answer was no. We asked if we could keep a hatchery only, which has absolutely 0 effect on Fraser fish as these fish are from the USA, the answer was no. In short, the answer is the recreational fleet has to be closed first, and then they can take fisheries measures for First Nations second. That precedent was set in a case that is often referred to as the Tommy Case. Let me make this clear. If there is a conservation concern, I will be the first to put the rods away, and if anyone has a right to the first harvest of those fish, I agree it should be First Nations for ceremonial and food fish purposes. I get that if we are fishing for the same fish. What I don't agree with and what I don't get, is the DFO shutting down one distinct fishery and user group so they can shut down another user group on totally different fish. This is ludicrous and political, this is not scientific, and this is mismanagement of the resource at the highest level. So, I think it is important that we are all very clear that this Minister just shut down the entire south coast so they can attempt to reduce First Nation in river impacts on interior Fraser chinook. On our home waters that means they just shut down South Bowen, Thrasher, Nanaimo, which are all experiencing amazing fishing (for non-interior Fraser stocks), just to have the opportunity to keep First Nations nets out of the Fraser to save interior Fraser stocks. You can see my frustration. Unfortunately, I don't think it is going to do much to help these fish. DFO needs emergency hatchery production for these fish, the habitat needs some help, and we need to deal with the seals. None of that is happening anytime soon from what I can see. Since the DFO has sacrificed the whole south coast, I hope they plan on making sure the Fraser is net free until July 14. I hope fisheries like this have now been closed 2019 Open Times for the Mid & Upper Fraser River First Nations Fisheries - Week 16. I will give the DFO the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume that is the case; I certainly hope so for the fish. In the meantime, diverse and sustainable recreational fisheries remain closed and the south coast marine fishery and economy has been cut off at the knees.

If you think this management strategy is unacceptable, you need to let DFO know. Send an email to these people and let them know this is not acceptable. Let them know how it is affecting you and let them know how you are going to vote next election.

Hon Jonathan Wilkinson Minister Jonathan.Wilkinson@parl.gc.ca

Rebecca Reid, DFO Regional Director General, Pacific Region Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

We have had a lot of calls asking if you can still go fishing. The answer is YES. The regulations say non-retention of chinook, so you can still fish. You will have to practice catch and release on chinook. Fishing is nothing short of amazing right now. Here is a picture from a charter yesterday and fishing was fantastic. Of course, if you head out now it is catch and release, but that is still a lot of fun.

This is essentially my issue with all this and jason sums it up perfectly

After setting valid conservation measures, the honour of the Crown required the DFO to give priority to the appellants’ right to fish over all other non-aboriginal user groups, including the marine and in-river recreational fisheries.

Would a mark selective fishery allow for a retention fishery while the FSC fishery on the Fraser is restricted?

What is your sense that we could move to a MSF with a 100% mark rate on Canadian hatchery Chinook? Is there any traction on this?

Please don't take these comments the wrong way, just trying to frame the situation and challenges so we don't get expectations set too high.

Our most significant challenge in Area 19 is this is a funnel where many of the Fraser stocks of concern whom migrate far off shore for their journey home where we can't catch them, and are first encountered by Canadian domestic fisheries largely in Area 20 to 19 etc. That is not to say there are not other areas some of the Fraser stocks are encountered - but in the approach zone (Area 19/20), and then all the way along the migration corridor to the Fraser through Area 18 and over to 29 etc. is where the most significant encounters are documented.

The documentation or "data" problem is at the core of our challenge in Area 19/20. Fisheries manages are relying upon coded wire tag (CWT) data. Here is how it works. When we turn in a head that has a CWT from a Fraser indicator stock, that forms part of the "data" utilized to determine or estimate how many Fraser fish are caught. When the number of heads turned in is low, the statistical modelling used then applies an estimate or "Expansion Factor." So when heads collected is low, the "expansion factor" applied to normalize the data can be very high...so for example I have seen an Expansion Factor of 14 applied to Area 19 CWT....meaning that for every 1 actual CWT head turned in, they apply an "expansion factor" of 14...ergo...14 x number of heads = estimate of total Fraser fish. Hopefully this makes sense. Based on the available CWT data, Area 19 is a hotspot for Fraser stocks of concern.

Having said that, many of us know the expansion factor has some fairly obvious bias....but it is the current "standard." BUT....we also have DNA. The SFI, WCFGA, Avid Anglers and DFO have worked for the past several years advocating to anglers and guides that if we work together collecting DNA samples that we can build a better picture of the stocks of fish actually caught in specific locations. DNA sampling for this area is fairly low, but the data we do have tells a different picture than the CWT data. Competing with CWT however is a situation where more is better...we need much more. Hoping people get involved. Any angler can start sampling with the Avid Angler Program. Also, we can help by turning in hatchery clipped heads...although, these non-retention rules basically screw the whole CWT data base integrity for specific stock composition and timing estimates through specific marine areas.

As an example of how DNA can be our friend. The DNA evidence collected in the Area 123 - 127 project where we have been successful gaining support for DNA collection has been very helpful. It was that actual DNA data that was the deciding factor in a recent request to extend the retention of chinook zone out 1 nautical mile off the surf line. Data is our friend, and while yes it can sometimes hurt us, in those circumstances at least we know why.

SO where does that leave us...well we are indeed in a difficult spot as we need more data to make the case than we have available. Sorry, my comments may not help build hope...but I'm not going to sugar coat it.

What about going for hatchery only? Great idea. We have desperately tried to press for a Marked Selective Fishery (MSF) on hatchery marked fish. This would be an excellent option for Area 19 because the mark rate is very high....if there was ever any place for an MSF fishery this is it! Our biggest problem is Fraser FN's put DFO on notice they intended to commence legal action if there was any "infringement" on their Section 35 rights to Food, Social and Ceremonial Fish (FSC).

For reference, read the IFMP input letters.

When looking at option A or B that DFO floated out there...the biggest risk to even being able to get to Option B was legal precedent. I have attached a case you should read, specifically paragraph 83 https://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc/2008/2008bcsc1095/2008bcsc1095.html

IMO the way forward really is to focus our effort on true reconciliation with FN's by sitting down and trying to understand one another, and work toward equitable sharing and stewardship of the resource...or we can fight it out in the courts, which is kind of a waste of good effort and cash.

Here's paragraph 83 for quick reference:

In the circumstances of these appeals, where there was insufficient fish to meet the First Nations’ food, social and ceremonial needs, I am of the view that all of the available Chinook had to go to the First Nations, regardless of the minimal impact the recreational fisheries may have had on the stock. This was necessary in order to guarantee the appellants their constitutional right of priority to the fish in the circumstances that existed and were known to exist before the commencement of the 1999 fishing season. The appellants did not, in my view, receive priority when the DFO closed the aboriginal fishery while the sports and recreational fisheries continued to enjoy access to the Chinook, albeit on a limited basis. After setting valid conservation measures, the honour of the Crown required the DFO to give priority to the appellants’ right to fish over all other non-aboriginal user groups, including the marine and in-river recreational fisheries.

Every meeting DFO has had over the last 30 years with FN, The first things FN say is well you better shut down the whole coast to rec fishing. If they cant fish early run chinook this year they will still go after all the lodges on WCVI and in Northern BC.

The only difference this time is spineless DFO managers, Mark my words DFO will sit down with FN on the fraser and they will say well your still allowing C&R. We know from creel survey data this much is encountered in the whole coast, we know that there is a 15% mortality associated with that so your still killing X amount of fish and we still have constitutional rights for priority.

DFO managers need to grow a spine and say NO to them like they have in the past. Hopefully the Minister has that spine or its only going to get worse for us.

Every meeting DFO has had over the last 30 years with FN, The first things FN say is well you better shut down the whole coast to rec fishing. If they cant fish early run chinook this year they will still go after all the lodges on WCVI and in Northern BC.

The only difference this time is spineless DFO managers, Mark my words DFO will sit down with FN on the fraser and they will say well your still allowing C&R. We know from creel survey data this much is encountered in the whole coast, we know that there is a 15% mortality associated with that so your still killing X amount of fish and we still have constitutional rights for priority.

DFO managers need to grow a spine and say NO to them like they have in the past. Hopefully the Minister has that spine or its only going to get worse for us.
Couldn't have said it any better!

Would a mark selective fishery allow for a retention fishery while the FSC fishery on the Fraser is restricted?

What is your sense that we could move to a MSF with a 100% mark rate on Canadian hatchery Chinook? Is there any traction on this?
There is no traction to be made on MSF until we are in an abundance situation where DFO feels that whatever fish legal or otherwise are caught by FN's in their FSC fishery will not matter....so the real answer is make more fish until it doesn't matter MSF will be a way forward to allow wild stocks to recover and create a recreational fishery. Pretty hard for ENGO's to take aim when we have a return to abundance, and MSF with no wild salmon harvest....but then again, some of these types will try to cook up something to attack even that. Tofu forever!

There is no traction to be made on MSF until we are in an abundance situation where DFO feels that whatever fish legal or otherwise are caught by FN's in their FSC fishery will not matter....so the real answer is make more fish until it doesn't matter MSF will be a way forward to allow wild stocks to recover and create a recreational fishery. Pretty hard for ENGO's to take aim when we have a return to abundance, and MSF with no wild salmon harvest....but then again, some of these types will try to cook up something to attack even that. Tofu forever!

So for these closures to go away, we counting on either:

A. a miraculous recovery on interior Fraser Chinook stocks

or

B. There is political will and funding to support a significant hatchery initiative (certainly doesn’t feel like this will happen).

Am I missing something?

• Well I think we aren’t gonna get past that without being in the spotlight first. It’s already happened the regs are changed and no reversal.

We aren’t in the spotlight now and look what’s happened. Atleast if we were in the spotlight their is a chance to educate the public and provide facts and science. I know there’s a lot more to this but it’s obvious sitting at a table having meetings etc doesn’t mean **** to DFO or our govt in the end they will do whatever they want. That’s just my opinion but what do I know
Word has it that there is a new institute being formed right now that will have the ability to make court challenges, which apparently our current groups can't do. I am hoping that this group will be openly political and will be happy to stir the public relations pot in our favour. In the mean time will a representative from every community on the coast step up to organize at least one blockade of their town center or port?

So for these closures to go away, we counting on either:

A. a miraculous recovery on interior Fraser Chinook stocks

or

B. There is political will and funding to support a significant hatchery initiative (certainly doesn’t feel like this will happen).

Am I missing something?

If the Cons are smart they will see an opportunity to make some huge in roads on the west coast. Come up with a significant budget that puts money in programs for salmon and restoration out there and back up the local businesses. Would be a win, win either way. People are getting tired of the progressive movements across our nations the truth in their agenda is coming to the forefront and the repercussions of those agendas don’t take long to show themselves. There’s a wave taking off across this country people and it’s just getting going,, it’s a blue wave.

April 21
week 16 Chinook Stl'atl'imc /
Ts'kw'aylaxw Fraser R - Texas Creek to Kelly Creek 7
(daylight only) Monday April 15 05:00 Sunday April 21 22:00*
(extends into next week) Gill net, Dip net, Angling with Rod & Reel XFSC 78 2019 / XFSC 79 2019
April 21
week 16 Chinook Xaxli'p East side of Fraser R - Lillooet between 3 mile & 14 mile 7
(daylight only) Monday April 15 05:00 Sunday April 21 22:00*
(extends into next week) Gill net, Dip net, Angling with Rod & Reel XFSC 80 2019

Bye bye all. Islands full anyways. Move along.
Lol, i guess my plans to retire in few years and move to the island is out the window. Not, accepted the fact that one as to go under the bus to let the others speed in front of the same bus.

Last edited:
FYI, like your country the FN’s get priority access and that isn’t going to change
You are correct. I crab on the Hood Canal near my house. I had a fisheries officer check my catch one day. I ask him about the Indians and checking their catch. He said they were not allowed to. He said they report voluntarily to an 800 number. he said they are allowed 250,000 pounds of crab annually in Washington and his department estimates they take 500,000 lbs. he is not even allowed to watch them offload. Sucks here and there!

Almost. Currently the the groups who have been lobbying against the pipline (Tides Foundation) are grasping a straws. The SRWK are the pillar being used now. So the feds are able to counter this by increasing food and reducing rec boats when they are in the area feeding. This has taken the wind out of there sails as a tool to stop the pipeline approval.

Perhaps folks should be more aware of who they take on as an ally & allow to set up shop. Now that these groups have settled in, they will now be your worst nightmare.

Notice how guys can still hammer the stocks up north with even less restrictions than last year....

If the Cons are smart they will see an opportunity to make some huge in roads on the west coast. Come up with a significant budget that puts money in programs for salmon and restoration out there and back up the local businesses.
The conservatives under Sheer putting "significant budget" toward anything is unlikely. Hes pretty much already said it will be cut cut cut to balance the budget. While the liberals are bad, the increased funds being put towards salmon will likely disappear.

The conservatives under Sheer putting "significant budget" toward anything is unlikely. Hes pretty much already said it will be cut cut cut to balance the budget. While the liberals are bad, the increased funds being put towards salmon will likely disappear.
The pipeline will increase tanker traffic 7 times and they need to remove the small vessels to meet noise requirements. You can have all the hatcheries and strong salmon returns will make no difference. While fishermen continue to pour money in by buying licenses , taking ferries, going to lodges and doing all the associated things the government will do squat.

The pipeline will increase tanker traffic 7 times and they need to remove the small vessels to meet noise requirements. You can have all the hatcheries and strong salmon returns will make no difference. While fishermen continue to pour money in by buying licenses , taking ferries, going to lodges and doing all the associated things the government will do squat.
Uh - "7 times increase" is one a day from one a week. BC Ferries put an additional 89 sailings on for the Easter Weekend alone.

The courts have ruled that basically every non white native is now a commercial fisherman for anything that lives in the ocean with few or no rules.
I would like to be positive on the future if I could find a reason. Does anybody on this site actually have any fath in DFO really doing something that is the right decision?

Can someone please tell me what percentage of rec Chinook take comes from frazer runs of concern?

Thanks

Back