Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

Admin

Admin
Staff member
We were asked to share this from the conservation section. You can see more discussion in this thread as well. https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...inook-management-actions-updated.73524/page-6

Hi Everyone,

URGENT: Pending 2019 Fraser River Chinook Fishing Restrictions - Feedback Required To DFO

Right now our SFAB main board is meeting in Vancouver to discuss our recreational fishery for 2019. We have request from you.

These are the options in regards to changes to our Chinook Salmon fishery this year. The scenarios are listed below Scenario A and Scenario B.

This is VERY IMPORTANT we need you to send tonight a simple e-mail to the two following e-mail addresses within DFO. Do not bother with the minister at this point. Here are the email addresses. Please do not wait!

Jeff Grout, Regional Resource Manager, Salmon
Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

DFO Pacific Salmon Team
DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

We request you do the following in your response:

1. Why Scenario A won't work for you ( shown below).

2. State the financial loss to the local economy with you not being able to fish this year. Be specific and put a dollar amount on it. Include everything you spend locally on your sport and where.

Salmon Retention Scenarios.jpeg

Well with this last rumour of Chinook closers and reduced limits of one per day and possibly only hatchery fish this may be the end for me and my family coming to the island after 30years of summer fishing. With Halibut restrictions, now rumours of prawn limits hacked in half and ground fish restrictions it’s getting harder to get the wife to commit to spending thousands a year on coming to the island.

I know a few people in the same position I face right now, we have invested tens of thousands in fishing tackle, $70k on a boat that stays on the island that is only used for fishing there. It makes me sick to my stomach that it has come to this, how can I justify spending $10-15000 a year on coming out to get maybe a couple days of fishing in and that’s it. My friends and family who usually come out to visit won’t be coming now if they can’t fish or bring anything back with them. It’s a hard decision to make, I love fishing but I also work hard for my money, and I just can’t justify spending so much to be limited to a point that it’s not worth it anymore.

Rant over, sorry for the whining

yep, it's become completely ridiculous... the mismanagement of this resource by DFO has gone off the rails this last couple decades with the last couple years being some of the worst. Sickening actually... The government seems to want to destroy the sport fishing sector. Death by a thousand cuts seems pretty accurate.

Well with this last rumour of Chinook closers and reduced limits of one per day and possibly only hatchery fish this may be the end for me and my family coming to the island after 30years of summer fishing. With Halibut restrictions, now rumours of prawn limits hacked in half and ground fish restrictions it’s getting harder to get the wife to commit to spending thousands a year on coming to the island.

I know a few people in the same position I face right now, we have invested tens of thousands in fishing tackle, $70k on a boat that stays on the island that is only used for fishing there. It makes me sick to my stomach that it has come to this, how can I justify spending $10-15000 a year on coming out to get maybe a couple days of fishing in and that’s it. My friends and family who usually come out to visit won’t be coming now if they can’t fish or bring anything back with them. It’s a hard decision to make, I love fishing but I also work hard for my money, and I just can’t justify spending so much to be limited to a point that it’s not worth it anymore.

I hear yah but time to fish bigger lakes maybe for large rainbows etc? the salt chuck is becoming a cluster F***, im just lucky that my boat only cost me very little and is easy to transport I really feel bad for you guys with the big rigs and overhead!

I hope you don’t mind, but I cut and pasted your story and sent it back to the DFO email address. I think it’s important how much everyone will lose even if option B is chosen!

Bye bye all. Islands full anyways. Move along.
Classy reply!

Hope your employed downstream of this industry some how and will be effected by being unemployed when we do leave!

I don’t think some people realize the effect this is going to have on all sectors of business on the island. Guide business are going to be done! Lodges boarded up and closed,hotels restaurants and marinas empty!

I spoke to the manager of where I stay every year and he is very worried! They have had cancelations calling almost every day!

Next time you make a remark like you did, think of what the big picture is!

Classy reply!

Hope your employed downstream of this industry some how and will be effected by being unemployed when we do leave!

I don’t think some people realize the effect this is going to have on all sectors of business on the island. Guide business are going to be done! Lodges boarded up and closed,hotels restaurants and marinas empty!

I spoke to the manager of where I stay every year and he is very worried! They have had cancelations calling almost every day!

Next time you make a remark like you did, think of what the big picture is!
I really appreciate how new members hide behind their computers,show up with one message and then disappear. Similar to the Herring fundraisers.
Shame on you!

Hey everyone...while we understand emotions are raw, let's stay focused on the big issue here and support the cause as opposed to reducing the thread to a messy bunch of posts that serve no purpose. Trying to be funny and sarcastic in threads like this that are deeply personal to most of our members doesn't really work as witnessed by the responses above. I just spoke to a long time friend who has been involved in the industry for over 30 years who has decided this is the last straw and is selling now. He has introduced so many people to the pure joy associated with fishing on our coast and, not of his own desire, he is being forced out of the passion and life he has carved for himself. It literally made me feel sick inside to hear his voice as he told me. Unfortunately, his is just one of many stories up and down the coast.

Brian

I appreciate that some businesses will be seriously hurt by these potential measures.

However, perhaps there also needs to be a shift in thinking. By that I mean embracing catch and release fishing for salmon and not making the sport fishing experience exclusively, or even largely, about keeping fish to eat.

Steelheaders have been taking this approach for decades now. The experience of getting out, catching and safely releasing a fish prompts steelheaders to spend many thousands of dollars.

Why not for salmon?

This would reduce the sport fishing impact on salmon populations. As I said in a previous post on a related thread, the real answer lies in changing the way we live in order to save habitat and stop pollution and global warming. Nobody thinks big picture like that though. Unfortunately, instead it’s all about who is going to get the last salmon. Everybody wants it to be them.

Not me. I would rather have the salmon survive for everyone’s future benefit.

Totally agree re assessing my fishing situation. Sell the boat and take 8 days worth of fuel accomadations food and the rest I spend in ukee every year and inject it into the mexican economy annually where I can be warm and fish
Yeah, this is looking like a pretty good option atm...

I appreciate that some businesses will be seriously hurt by these potential measures.

However, perhaps there also needs to be a shift in thinking. By that I mean embracing catch and release fishing for salmon and not making the sport fishing experience exclusively, or even largely, about keeping fish to eat.

Steelheaders have been taking this approach for decades now. The experience of getting out, catching and safely releasing a fish prompts steelheaders to spend many thousands of dollars.

Why not for salmon?

This would reduce the sport fishing impact on salmon populations. As I said in a previous post on a related thread, the real answer lies in changing the way we live in order to save habitat and stop pollution and global warming. Nobody thinks big picture like that though. Unfortunately, instead it’s all about who is going to get the last salmon. Everybody wants it to be them.

Your words give us a lot to think about. Kudos.

Why not for salmon?

You and i are definitely on the same page. While i have earned my keep as a full time guide since the mid 80's, i think the survival of the salmon trump the investment that we all have in our boats/ gear and the pastime we all love

So the amount of chinook retained by sportsfishermen will be reduced by 50% or more... will the open netpen fishfarms that DFO overlook (in my opinion the real problem) be reducing their output by 50% ? Why do I have the feeling that they will instead be increasing their output? Why do I have the feeling that these measures put in place by DFO are a way to deflect the attention off of fish farms and have the sports sector fighting amongst themselves? (divide and conquer) Why do I have a feeling my post will be soon deleted ?
I could probably get onboard with some of these measures if I could see real measures taken by DFO in regard to the fish farms. But if anything, all I've seen throughout my years is protectionism by all costs and means from DFO to the farms, while I see a thinly veiled assault on the public sportfishing sector.

Last edited:
You and i are definitely on the same page. While i have earned my keep as a full time guide since the mid 80's, i think the survival of the salmon trump the investment that we all have in our boats/ gear and the pastime we all love

I agree. And only if we save the salmon will anyone ever have the potential of making a living off them at some point in the future. If we don’t save them, this chance is lost forever.

It is a true test of how much we are willing to sacrifice now for future generations. You are clearly prepared to sacrifice a lot but many are not.

Last edited:
I sent my response
I live across the straight from Sooke. I have trailered my boat with 3 friends to fish Sooke and then Port Renfrew for 31 straight years. We spend 1 week in July and 1 week in August on the Island. We rent a house, secure moorage at the Port Renfrew Marina, buy our fuel there. We buy our food and drinks in Sooke on the way through. We stop at Trotac and Island Outfitters in Victoria for supplies and licenses. We have spent between $8500 and $9000 for the 2 trips total X 31 years! If option A is chosen we will not be returning. As you can see, many will be impacted because I am not alone in my decision

Reactions: Bod
I agree. And only if we save the salmon will anyone ever have the potential of making a living off them at some point in the future. If we don’t save them, this chance is lost forever.

It is a true test of how much we are willing to sacrifice now for future generations. You are clearly prepared to sacrifice a lot but many are not.
You make good points SP. The problem as I see it though is a failure by DFO to have a long range plan or holistic approach. Spot closures and tweaking catch limits in a handful of areas won’t solve the problem. They need to look at this as coast wide problem, over the entire range of the stocks they’re trying to protect, from the Fraser to SE Alaska. I sometimes wonder if individual area closures aren’t designed to keep us arguing amongst ourselves as opposed to accomplishing anything? Divide and conquer?

They also need to look at remediation of the rivers, possible augmentation of Hatcheries, impact of increased predation and I’m sure we can all fill in a bunch more largely ignored issues. Instead DFO picks one isolated contributing factor, trumpets it as the solution and avoids the tough decisions and any meaningful action.

I’d happily accept reduced limits, but I’m frustrated that seems to be the only tool in DFO’s toolchest. We’ve all heard how they managed the fish into extinction, now they appear to have switched targets to Sport Fishermen! As I said in another post, I don’t see these restrictions ever being lifted, because frankly,they alone will not result in the Spring salmon recovering. There’s just way to many other issues that are not being addressed. Hope I’m wrong!

One thing is a certainty, nobody can catch fish from an extinct stock! I add my voice to those who support conservation as the first and foremost priority, even if it limits access to a pass time I’m so passionate about.

In my way of thinking, our sectors lobby should be to ensure that if conservation has to happen (and for these stocks, unfortunately, it appears to be well past due) that it be applied equally and holistically. All sectors should forego Fisheries that impact these stocks and all levels of government should be held accountable to enforcing their legislation to ensure freshwater habitat, sufficient water flow and fishery closures are enforced to their fullest extent. Our governments should also address issues surrounding open pen fish farming and, particularly, the uncontrolled overstocking of fish into the North Pacific, ala “Ocean Ranching”, that contributes considerably to the poor ocean survival of all wild stocks.

I find it very encouraging to read how many others truly put the fish first, makes me think there may yet be some hope.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back