I'm new and stuff

M

Maxpower

I am new to the site and am here to colectivly learn as much as possible about fishing in general to catch bigger fish all together.
Question #1 Seeing that I am a sans-boat owner can i crab off the shore with a trap? Or am I crazy?

Welcome Max[8D],

If you are in Victoria, and from your saltwater post I assume you are, I don't know of a place to crab from the shore for certain, but you might want to try the points at Cow Bay launch ramps. Wouldn't take much of a boat to get you into crab though...anything that would safely float you out a few meters would get ya some. Good luck, look forward to hearing your insights;).

Scooter

I would use the break water but thats where all the divers go and I would not like to wear a trap on the head while down there, bu thanks though that would be a good spot.

u cant crab by the breakwater, its a protected marine enviroment, however u can crab in the harbour, along the sides, the james bay boat ramp seems to be good at about 30-40 feet. but all the run off from the city gets funneled down the streets and right into the harbour where crabs collect it in there meat... so you wouldnt want to eat them. DFO has something on there site about 135G of crab per day. but u can crab about 1/2 km away from the breakwater along the beach there. i have seen some traps out there. the light house at Brochie is percisly 1 km away from the breakwater.

and YES u can crab from the shore. theres a trap that makes it so u can crab with your rod and reel, its a small trap that u connect to your fishing line and u cast it out with some bait and every so often u reel it in and see what u have. its like 20 bucks Trotac Marine sells them.

Thats awsome what does this little trap weigh? and from your Rod? Wow thats something the Japanese would come up with! I have to find one and try it, hopfully i can find a place where it drops that deep all of the sudden, thanx man thats awsome!

There is a fishing pier in Sidney. Lots of people crab off it.
Also, Cowichan bay gov't dock-good crabbing and usually no one on it.
also, Nanaimo has a pier used for crabbing. Goes out from the water park behind the arena.Near where the float planes come in.Lots of people doing the same though usually

and u can crab anywhere where u can cast. along the beaches, where ever. but i jusy drop my trap off the james bay boat ramp and see what down there then throw the crabs back.

Are you talking about those crab catcher things you can cast that have all the loops of heavy fishing line? Or does it look different than that?

I just did a web search and found something called "the crabhawk" www.crabhawk.com, looks like it suggests a pretty heavy duty rod/reel and high pound test line.

ok that sells me. I just checked out the crabhawk sight and wow! i am in, even a little girl can use it (then again there are a lot of little girls out there that could kick my butt) haha i am now on mission to get one. thANX gents!

Back