Illegal Gillnet this weekend on the Fraser River

In my opinion this exactly what needs to happen. The more we plaster social networks with pictures of this ****, the harder it will be for FN's to deny whats going on, if they want to continue there fishery they might be more willing to leave us to our marked hatchery fishery. anybody on the river should be watching and documenting everything they see its the only way to apply pressure. Destroying property won't get us anywhere.

Lots of dialogue going on the Public Fishery Alliance post. For those who don't have Facebook there was some question on exact time the illegal gillnet was spotted. Here's the information that was shared:Commetns on PFA Post April 15.jpg

Because they might get a bullet to their noggin for their efforts.

Nog
Yer sir, been confronted a few times on the fraser back in my younger days where it could of turn really bad for me or them. Gave up my days on the fraser because of it. I for one have seen so much crap going on on that river for so many years that all i can say is its a loss cause. Sad but its a fact

In my opinion this exactly what needs to happen. The more we plaster social networks with pictures of this ****, the harder it will be for FN's to deny whats going on, if they want to continue there fishery they might be more willing to leave us to our marked hatchery fishery. anybody on the river should be watching and documenting everything they see its the only way to apply pressure. Destroying property won't get us anywhere.
Like dealing with the cartel, good luck with your endavor

If we’re all in this together why aren’t we all in this together? If this is an illegal FN gillnet why aren’t FN screaming bloody murder here? Any early run chinook taken now is one step closer to extinction. That’s why the entire Rec and Commercial Sectors sit politely on shore waiting for our turn, if it actually comes this year. We spent millions and millions on more Dfo officers last year to do this exact job. Money well spent I see. If illegal fishing like this gets reported and nothing gets done then dfo can’t enforce the laws period. They can’t pick and choose. Here’s a question not posed on this thread. How do we know this isn’t a back room deal between dfo-Fisheries Ministry Federal Ministers and FN to allow this. It would explain the lack of media coverage and a lack of interest by law enforcement. Maybe this fishery was authorized by dfo privately. That’s my guess. I don’t believe this is poaching at all

Time we realize the only reason we are sitting idle is so the stewards can do this...… Unless a few Libs think its for conservation. Many in this area voted for this. BTW This is probably not illegal=above any laws. I was sternly reminded some time ago by a fisher with a bag of cutties and worm on hook fishing in a local C&R, no bait or barb river when he told me "I have a gold card and no dam SOB is going to tell me differently". Its the new sunny ways Canada, get used to it, we are bound for extinction fast. Giving it back.

HM

Couple things here....
- Maybe its just my access to the DFO site for FN openings, but I cant access any openings. Less public knowledge of openings = less outrage on netting to extinction. Can anyone else access the page?

- Maybe this was a legal opening that DFO is trying to keep quiet, exactly the same as last year when we were told there was gonna be no openings.

Couple things here....
- Maybe its just my access to the DFO site for FN openings, but I cant access any openings. Less public knowledge of openings = less outrage on netting to extinction. Can anyone else access the page?

- Maybe this was a legal opening that DFO is trying to keep quiet, exactly the same as last year when we were told there was gonna be no openings.
I looked this morning and nothing would load for me https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/abor-autoc-eng.html#lowerfraser I sent an email to DFO this morning asking when the problem would be fixed?

Couple things here....

Here's Lower Fraser River First Nations openings that were posted before DFO website went down. Clearly no openings on the day the photo was taken April 11, 2020.
Fraser River Openings.jpeg

I contacted DFO and to get the openings you need to click on the actual wording PDF and it gives you the openings

DFO Slide.JPG

Couple things here....

Here is the openings from DFO site.

Attachments

• CeremonialOpeningTimes_Previous (1).pdf
    66.8 KB · Views: 32
I have to chime in on this,i do have local knowledge from 15 or so years back, my best friend at the time( god bless his soul)was maried to one of the local native band member,big part of her family was part of click, all commercial fn fisherman, add a chat with one of the elders(long chat BTW) really nice respectful old timer.Now what he told me was that 95% of the band respect the legal openings, but like any part of society there a 5% bad apple part thatdoes not give a rats butt, they want quick money, read between the lines on this one. And they dont want confrontation between band members so they just close there eye and hope it goes away. Unfortunately it does not go away one does it then another then another and the vicious circle continue.Btw this was 15 years ago and i still see my buddy ex wife here and there and we dont discuss anything about fishing the fraser river

I have to chime in on this,i do have local knowledge from 15 or so years back, my best friend at the time( god bless his soul)was maried to one of the local native band member,big part of her family was part of click, all commercial fn fisherman, add a chat with one of the elders(long chat BTW) really nice respectful old timer.Now what he told me was that 95% of the band respect the legal openings, but like any part of society there a 5% bad apple part thatdoes not give a rats butt, they want quick money, read between the lines on this one. And they dont want confrontation between band members so they just close there eye and hope it goes away. Unfortunately it does not go away one does it then another then another and the vicious circle continue.Btw this was 15 years ago and i still see my buddy ex wife here and there and we dont discuss anything about fishing the fraser river

Interesting story and I would agree that the vast majority of First Nations want to see Fraser River Salmon and Steelhead stocks managed properly and illegal fisheries stopped. Much like anglers are supportive of DFO taking action on sport fishing violations. It's going to take all user groups speaking up to call out illegal activity by all sectors and demanding action by DFO on it, rather then turning a blind eye.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CeremonialOpeningTimes_Previous.pdf
No need to poach the endangered Chinook, DFO giving legal openings on these troubled stocks.

Wonder why our oolie run is in the dumps as well?
Would be helpfull for all user groups if it was DFO monitored and the results posted so at the very least we can get some idea of what is passing thru good or bad. Is that kind of accountability in the wake of all the restrictions imposed on other user groups too much to expect?

Would be helpfull for all user groups if it was DFO monitored and the results posted so at the very least we can get some idea of what is passing thru good or bad. Is that kind of accountability in the wake of all the restrictions imposed on other user groups too much to expect?

Perhaps it’s time you reread the sparrow decision again. They have the right to self monitor their fisheries.

There self reported catch is available on the dfo site.

Back