IHPC 2013 Halibut Biomass reductions

I agree over fishing out west is contributing but taking an estimated ( I would guess extremely conservative) 10+ million lbs of subleagal by catch every year is the biggest factor.

Hope some anglers from South Island will be attending and voicing there opinion on by catch in Alaska. That is who is dragging us all down.
Just to add

Changes have been made to the Annual Meeting to make its proceedings more open and transparent. In contrast to previous meetings, this year all public sessions and administrative sessions (except Financial sessions) will be open to the public. These open sessions will also be webcast. In addition, more time has been added throughout the schedule to accommodate the open session formats and public discussion. This year’s meeting will begin on Monday afternoon (January 21) and run through mid-day on Friday (January 25).

The Eighty-Ninth Annual Meeting of the International Pacific Halibut Commission will be held from Monday, January 21 through Friday, January 25, 2013 at The Fairmont Empress in Victoria, B.C

http://www.iphc.int/news-releases/306-nr20121218.html

Hats off to the commissioners and participants of the conference board who managed to get us last years number after such a bleak forecast.

Fish4all and Derby,

Yes, I can say this week was clearly a very difficult week for our 3 Canadian commissioners and to their credit they did a sterling job for us. They really deserve kudos from any and all Cdn hali fisherman. I took the time to approach the podium at the end of this morning's session and shook each of their hands. We heard 4.59 million lbs for 2B going in on Monday and came away at status quo from last year. That is the sign of savvy negotiating and using our (Canada's) admired fisheries model as the tipping points in our favour.

Another very mentionable point is how the 30 person Canadian Conference Board delegation from 3 different harvest sectors were able to be so cohesive and able to work in each others best interest without any rancor. Lock step all the way. Especially with the back drop of a court case pending. Kudos there too!

I think for me one of the surprising moments was the almost unanimous support for the conference board catch limit recommendations (59 for, 3 against and 2 abstains by USA and Cda vote ). I am pretty sure that played strongly on the minds of the commissioners, when they went to a vote, because they agreed to exactly what the Conference Board voted in favour of. Unprecedented apparently. It was impressive to be there and be part of it.

At least we got a semblance of a 2013 fishery and it doesn't appear the commercial boys will lose their shirts financially. You just need the PAG boys to clear out the big frozen inventory!

Gov

quote:You just need the PAG boys to clear out the big frozen inventory!

this only happens during in season so the price drops out on
commercials!

glad we got our deserved tac, thanks all who represent !!

Thanks to all the board members for showing such a strong front for Canada and not letting the U S steam roller us with apportionment!we got 22.68%.

PAG`s recomendation of much lower numbers was not a real surprise, it happens every year. ÌMO the real miracle happened at conferece board and at the commisioner table. For conference board to agree with and vote with a vast majority for the Canadian position in 2b is a testament to the coalition building skills of those who are part of conference board. Last year Canada`s catch recomendation was voted down at conference board.

The commisioners clearly called the Alaskan bluff and they blinked. An amazing job in tough circumstances. Kudos to the three of them.

CP

Thanks to all the board members for showing such a strong front for Canada and not letting the U S steam roller us with apportionment!we got 22.68%.

spoken like a home boy. in case you didn't notice, 2A lost a lot of bio mass. i would expect another 12 day season down this way. they need to take another look at how they split this up a start thinking about JDF differently than the coastal fishery.

2A lost a lot of biomass???? In 2012 2A was allocated 0.989 million pounds, in 2013 2A has been allocated 0.99 million pounds, the exact same biomass plus a little bit in the rounding up. Not sure what loss you're referring to Reelfast?

With regards to an Alaskan bluff, the large proposed reductions in allocations was due to a new model that the IPHC scientists had endorsed that they believe addresses a number of biases and issues with the old model and which predicts much lower available biomass than the old model. There was solidarity amongst all groups in rejecting the use of that model until it had been tested for a number of years because it appeared to contradict the data trends in the commercial log books, amongst other concerns. As such, that model has been shelved for this year.

spoken like a home boy. in case you didn't notice, 2A lost a lot of bio mass. i would expect another 12 day season down this way. they need to take another look at how they split this up a start thinking about JDF differently than the coastal fishery.
the only reason you gus have any thing dwn there is because of our god fishing practice.It,s amazing what happens when you get 100% observers on your drag fleet.300 thousand lb down to 100 housand?imagine if Alaska had full coverge and went down to 3 million,maybe te west woud start coming back as al of area 2 has.If you belive this latest MODEL then you are not that smart to begin with.Why is it that 2A comercial guys caught their quota 30% faster in 2012 han 2013?Does that sound like a redused bio?What ,I can,t hear you. cet your facts strait dude.And this latest model is 4 months old,set surveys are 89 years

So what happened here...

Two days ago I responded to a halibut thread, and now I cannot find the entire thread?

I really dont understand what that is all about other than CENSORSHIP..
Are we reverting to the dark ages again, where one cannot voice their opinions?

Oh what do we have here now???? An interloper jumping on Owen's Fish Assassin name??????

Do yourself a favour and change it-- You have a long way to go to get to Owens 3400 post.....

Back