IHPC 2013 Halibut Biomass reductions

Great last two posts. Every time I see searun post I cringe as he has said a cpl of times "1 daily 1 possession is looking pretty good". It is mind boggling he would post that on a public forum. No offence but that's ****ing stupid!!! Ya show dfo you think that's good...genius. I'm with the last two and we better let dfo know that's what almost all of us think and 1/1 or 1/2 with slot is not acceptable nor "looking good"

Hey, I appreciate where you are coming from. You might want to go back and re-read my post....there's nothing to negotiate if we win the Malcolm case, which I believe we have some very strong arguments in law. That was the point of the SFI and BCWF spending a ton of cash to fight this case for all rec anglers. I think we are all very encouraged by the prospects. Having said that, litigation is risky business so the outcome is uncertain.

Notwithstanding, taking that uncertainty into account we also have to start looking closely at what choices we will face if nothing changes as a result of that case. Simple math when it comes to dividing up the TAC. I prefer to hope for the best, but also plan realistically for something else in the event we are forced to do so. If anyone here thinks we are getting a full season, 2 and 3 limits with a 30% reduction in TAC over last year I got a bridge for sale. That's why we should also be thinking about what we need out of the TAC we can reasonably anticipate if this court case fails.

So, don't also take my word on the halibut outlook for 2013, you can also listen to the entire IPHC webcast. Get your lunch and a beer, its long but some extremely good information on current state of the modelling being considered and implications to the commission in making decisions that will set out our TAC.

The good news is the WPUE for 2012 data shows a reversing trend over prior years which all showed sharp declines. Further good news is we have a larger number of very large and older (15+ year old) spawners which bodes well for potential future recruitment. Bering Sea data also demonstrates stronger recruitment of younger undersize fish (could also be bi-catch over-fishing in my view). Our area 2b shows a slight increasing trend in ave size and catch.

The hitch is our actual harvest rate has exceeded the targeted (planned) harvest rate for quite a number of years. The heavy handed management reductions employed in last 2 seasons according to the data has reversed the over-harvest, and the stock declines slowly turned around in 2012. IPHC science is using that to make a case for continuing this approach to management. The science guys are pitching that even with no removal of halibut (no fishing) the recovery in halibut would be very slow...and with constant removals the declining trend could be significant. They are pitching that any harvest higher than the "blue line" harvest rate will have dramatic probability of stock decline into a high conservation concern status. In effect, IPHC science are tying the Commissioners hands to some extent from moving beyond the blue line harvest rate.

If the Commission agrees with IPHC science it appears they will be leaning strongly towards a conservative view of TAC and management choices that preserves the current turn around in biomass. If adopted by the commissioners, the reality is lower TAC for us (commercial and recreational). DFO will in turn have no alternative other than to manage available TAC as they are held to the IPHC decisions. So without a successful result in the Malcolm case to redistribute commercial TAC to recreational sector, this will be our reality like it or not....or just shoot the messenger that's easier than dealing with reality. Have a listen in on the stock assessment data presentations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r79xOcPwkgM

Another thing that I think should be thought about is if it did go to 1/1 (which we should NOT accept) this would kinda have the opposite effect on the breeding stock than what is intended I believe. I know we have lots of guests who last year were a-ok with leaving with a 25-45lber and a 15lber, but I highly doubt they will be ok with leaving with just a 25lber, so we will then be targeting larger fish, the breeding stock and leaving the small ones in the water...further creating more of a problem we already have. Same goes for guys who bring their own boats all the way to the island or from the states, or even some locals I'm sure, they won't want to run out for a 20lber, they'll throw em back and look for larger fish. I think the 1/2 with slot (same as 2012) would allow for the larger stock to have less pressure on them as I know in our case anyway, and I"m sure can be same for most rec fisherman and lodges/charters, 2 fish under 30-35lbs most guests are pretty happy with.

Another thing that I think should be thought about is if it did go to 1/1 (which we should NOT accept) this would kinda have the opposite effect on the breeding stock than what is intended I believe. I know we have lots of guests who last year were a-ok with leaving with a 25-45lber and a 15lber, but I highly doubt they will be ok with leaving with just a 25lber, so we will then be targeting larger fish, the breeding stock and leaving the small ones in the water...further creating more of a problem we already have. Same goes for guys who bring their own boats all the way to the island or from the states, or even some locals I'm sure, they won't want to run out for a 20lber, they'll throw em back and look for larger fish. I think the 1/2 with slot (same as 2012) would allow for the larger stock to have less pressure on them as I know in our case anyway, and I"m sure can be same for most rec fisherman and lodges/charters, 2 fish under 30-35lbs most guests are pretty happy with.

So if I'm reading you correct you are saying keep it the same as last year. If we go down that road would not the season then be 30% shorter? Based on 30% less TAC. That would make the season end in early August. Perhaps I'm not reading you right and you mean a size limit of 35 lbs.
GLG

Counter productive remarks are not going to help us here.
Sure most of the halibut is caught by people that live in BC.
But guess what.... It's a Canadian resource....
Someone from else where in this country owns, and has a right to, that resource too.
That's why we need to make decisions for what is best for all of us.
Not just the few that can access this resource because they live so close.
It would be nice if some of us would think before they pounded out something on their keyboard.
Dividing us is not helping, we need to cooperate for the greater good for all of us.
Get it.
GLG

I'm with Lorne. Tourists will still come to BC they might just do something other than Hali fish.

Go to Alaska. Looks like there quota is about to get **** kicked as well

BC is not the cheapest place to live thats forsure. We have chosen to live here and re-app all the benefits this great province has to offer. So it should be a benefit to us. BC first, then Canada, then who ever else. And anyone can access it, just book before its over! Honestly if it wasnt for the G/O this would be a no brainer and ther wouldnt be anything to talk about. And Gil, i think before i post, but sometimes i can only bite my tongue on my true feelings for so long!

Last edited by a moderator:
Halibut is a Canadian resource to be shared with all Canadians.
It does not fall under the provincial jurisdiction.(sp)
That's why you need a DFO license to access this resource.
To tell other Canadians to "Pound Sand" is disrespectful.
We must find ways to share not ways to covet.
(covet - Yearn to possess or have (something).
GLG

I always joke that the great thing about by an American is that no matter where I go, another American who is ruder than I has been there beforehand to make me look good by comparison. :D

I always joke that the great thing about by an American is that no matter where I go, another American who is ruder than I has been there beforehand to make me look good by comparison. :D
Fortunately many of us have had personal contact with Americans who are kind and friendly at home or abroad. As for the rude travelers that embarrass us , we all have some of those.

Reelfast,be carefull with what you say about third world countries, it's American attiudes like yours that give the U.S a bad name...

parochial is another fancy way of saying "vote for Bush"

back on track; the B.C residents are stuck between a "rock and a hard place" Washington DC - Ottawa; as the fat cats from both country's argue over control of the dinner table, we end up with table scraps

Yeah right. Like the rest of Canada shares it resources freely with us.
I can assure you that this resource does indeed belong to all Canadians not just BC.
Therefore we have the moral responsibility to treat and manage it that way.
You may be confused with BC's abundant mineral resource as that belongs to the people of BC not Canada.
These things were settled when BC joined confederation.
So you see why some of us here on this forum are treating this seriously.
GLG

I can assure you that this resource does indeed belong to all Canadians not just BC.
Therefore we have the moral responsibility to treat and manage it that way.
You may be confused with BC's abundant mineral resource as that belongs to the people of BC not Canada.
These things were settled when BC joined confederation.
So you see why some of us here on this forum are treating this seriously.
GLG

I respect your position. I just choose to disagree. Ottawa is doing jack **** to properly manage this resource. If anything it appears Harper is going to wipe it off the face Of the earth.

Ottawa is doing jack **** to properly manage this resource. If anything it appears Harper is going to wipe it off the face Of the earth.
Agreed and that's why some of us here are trying to change that.
We chose to support BCWF or SFI with our own money to help with the court case.
So you see using the rule of law, political pressure and regulatory reform (SFAC/SFAB) we will effect change.
Join us......
GLG

I used to support the bcwf. I have decided to put any monies towards my local hatcheries instead.

difference of opinion and priority for me.

i think that slipper skippers provide a service to all groundfish fishermen by provideing small amounts of halibut quotas to all rockfishermen thet catch a few halis as a bycatch to there operations thus allowing sustainable fisheries; all fish caught must be accounted for;or fines and no more fishing till a quote for each species is provided; most sell their quotas to fish buyers who parcel it out as it is needed to keep things operating and legal

I call BS you don't support anything but your commercial Halibut job.
It doesn't take much effort to search this forum to see you only post when the halibut issue comes up.
You seem to try to come across as some rec fishermen but.... we see right thru that.
Nice try... but I call BS
GLG
:D LOL, nice one. Perhaps it might even look better for him when the Minister is forced to change the ITQ system to Non Transferrable...fish it or lose it back to the crown. Seriously, he should be donating huge $ to the fight so we can get rid of the slipper skippers - it would be the best thing ever for real legitimate commercial Halibut fishermen.

maybe you should be talking to your brothers north of us who have a 10 million lb quota to kill any way they want.even with that they are fighting observers on their boats,why is that?maybe cause they are catching more than what they say they are.so don't whine to me as s

absolutely, the by-catch of commercial draggers is a major reason for both halibut and chinook stocks declines. these AK based vessels run as if there is no tomorrow shovellng tons of dead fish overboard. but just like canadians have failed in their attempts to shut down or curtail the net pen industry, the same applies to the AK draggers. the sea food industry is a multi-billion dolllar concern with highly paid lobbyists beating their drum. trying to get these concerns to modify or alter their practices is an on-going fight without end. and just as in canada, the government of AK is red, right, conservative and does not give a whit about conservation. bucks always talk and it is true all over the sea food industry.

Back