IFMP Feedback

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
Last night in our meeting with DFO they brought up that another avenue for feedback for things like mass marking of hatchery chinook smolts would be though the IFMP process as part of that process includes hatchery management.

The Department has released the 2019/20 draft Northern and Southern BC Salmon Integrated Fishery Management Plans (IFMPs) for comment. The draft IFMPs linked below set out the policy framework that guides decision making, general objectives relating to management of stocks of concern, enhancement and enforcement, as well as decision guidelines for a range of fisheries.

Draft Northern and Southern 2019/20 Salmon IFMP: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/szdnyx8ui3a891l/AAD111_a8wsfyk0BUicKD_Pga?dl=0

Deadline for submission of comments is April 8th, 2019. Comments may be provided in writing via email to the DFO Pacific Salmon Management Team at DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Section 13 of the IFMPs outline the Species Specific Fishing Plans, which describe fisheries plans for each of the salmon species and the management units and major fishery areas for each species. This section includes the relevant information on management approach, decision guidelines and specific management measures, as well as, information related to First Nations, commercial and recreational fishing plans for each fishery.

During March and April, the Department will be meeting with First Nations and recreational, commercial and environmental groups to seek further feedback on the draft IFMPs as part of the IFMP consultation process.

Thank you,

Pacific Salmon Management Team

Fisheries Management

Fisheries & Oceans Canada
#200 - 401 Burrard St
Vancouver, BC. V6C 3S4

DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I know this is probably a dumb question but maybe there’s a smart answer. I understand there’s a need to cut back on Chinook retention and mortality. In theory, if the goal is to conserve chinook why would we need to clip hatchery fish in the first place.Just cut back on Chinook take. Set a goal of 150,000 for 2019 and try your best to hit the number through in season changes, closures, non retention fisheries etc. I understand dfo is trying to preserve the genetically wild salmon runs. I can appreciate that. But is that the sole reason for needing to clip more fish? It FEELS like we just entered into a raffle fishery or lottery fishery. The real goal is to make sure we still get maximum participation by anglers and still generating maximum revenue for business and governments, but are we headed for keep one fish for every 10 caught? Like trying to find a needle in a haystack? My worry is obvious...we’ll be killing or injuring thousands and thousands of Chinook looking for that clipped fish. Is that protecting our salmon or the revenue generated by fishermen?

Maybe we are headed that direction?

Seems like the responsible thing to do rather than releasing “wilds” looking for a clipped fish.

I wonder what the actual % of wilds would be on the inside fishery (Campbell river to Victoria)?

I think if all hatchery fish were marked we wouldn’t see many wild fish at all, so if we go to a hatchery only Chinook fishery would we actually see an increase in population? Yes in the short term because hardly any fish are marked. But down the road if we were to mark 100% of hatchery fish you would cstch very very few unmarked fish on the island

I had a discussion 20 years ago amidst a bunch of closures and restrictions on Chinook retention and at that time I had the idea that eventually we would end up with a recreational and commercial fishery much like an Elk Hunt or Grizzly hunt might. That on an annual basis there would be a set number of available licenses available in any given zone. There would be open season Chinook retention and a draw season for Chinook retention. Only anglers drawn in a certain area would be allowed to keep a Chinook during sensitive times of the year. Who knows maybe chinook retention Province wide will become draw only. You put in for your preferred zone, only a certain number would be drawn, if you miss out, cya next season for Chinooks. We laughed about then, it isn’t funny now

Back