If you were going to pick a day to move your boat

cracked_ribs

Let's say you were moving to Ladysmith from Vancouver. But in between you had to spend a couple of months in Victoria, so you rented a storage spot for your boat somewhere around Ladysmith.

If you got up in the morning one Sunday and the sky was clear and you'd just made sure the lights all worked on your trailer and the whole thing was packed and ready to go, wouldn't it be reasonable to drive out to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal and get on a sailing headed for Duke Point to drop it off at your storage space?

I mean what could possibly go wrong?

2019-02-10 14.20.09.jpg Oh, it's a bit of a flurry. Well, no big deal, she'll blow over before the ferry even arrives.
2019-02-10 15.58.55.jpg
Oh heck, she's a bit blustery out there boys. And snow sticking to the windows and everything. Well, we're in for a penny, in for a pound. Once you've paid the fare you're getting on the ferry, so let's check in with the trailer...

2019-02-10 15.15.06.jpg

Jeez, she's starting to stick to the windshield. Well, as long as there's no snow on the roads south of Nanaimo.

2019-02-10 17.11.07-1.jpg

Oh heck, where's Gabriola? That's a pretty blurry horizon out there, could be snow. Well, once I pull off the ferry I'll have some sense of things. Oh, a message from the storage place. Closing early on account of snow? Well what the heck is that aboot? Probably half an inch of snow and these summer tire Civic drivers are giving up and headed home. I'll probably pull onto the highway and have clear sailing right to Ladysmith, and now I'll have to find somewhere else to park her for a few days. That's for sure going to be the biggest obstacle in my day, just a bunch of fair-weather Chemainus types who panic at a little dusting of snow.

2019-02-10 20.19.03-1.jpg

HOLY GOD DAMN MOTHER OF HECK THERE'S CARS IN EVERY DITCH AND WHAT THE HOCKEY STICKS VANCOUVER ISLAND

4LO on the highway, 30km/h, pulled off the road the first chance I got (Oyster Bay) and got a hotel and had to peel my hands off the wheel with a god damn crow bar. JESUS W.T.F. CHRISTMAS WHAT THE DAMN HECKIN' CHRIST IS THIS?

No joke, happy to be alive right now. One tap of the brake pedal and I'd have been upside down with 4000 pounds of boat on top of me. Just about cried tears of joy when I saw the Oyster Bay sign because I figured I could get off the highway and get a room. If I'd seen an exit I thought I could survive I'd have pulled off sooner...absolutely terrifying conditions for towing that beast.

So for anyone who saw this boat getting towed down the island highway and thought "what is wrong with this lunatic" I assure you, if I could have stopped sooner I would have. I have done some pretty sketchy drives but this was about the worst.

About the only consolation is that the Malahat is closed so I don't think my new boss will hold this against me. But holy hell, that was a drive I will never forget.

Also, any advice for parking this thing for a week in Ladysmith-ish? The storage place says they probably won't open tomorrow, and no F'n way am I towing the beast down the god damned Malahat. I am thinking I might try to cut a deal with the hotel or a gas station or something.

There’s a boat yard down at the free launch on the north side of town. It’s fenced and they store boats there too. I’ll try and look it up for ya.
Lady smith marine services.250-714-6206

There’s a boat yard down at the free launch on the north side of town. It’s fenced and they store boats there too. I’ll try and look it up for ya.
Oh no kidding! I will definitely see if I can get in there. Must be near Ladysmith Marine Services? I remember getting a cone from them after I rattled one off somehow and lost my prop when I put her in reverse. I'll check into that, thanks!

Never tried trailering in snow. Too scary for me. Mountain passes keep my boat in the Okanagan except for summer. Good luck.

Never tried trailering in snow. Too scary for me. Mountain passes keep my boat in the Okanagan except for summer. Good luck.
In general I don't like it but the one thing it's really good for is if you were afraid you'd get old without your hair turning white, this will fix that problem either by turning your hair white or by making sure you don't get old.

I looked out my window today at 1 pm here in Point Grey and said to myself........”hmmm I can’t imagine trying to tow a boat in this weather, you’d have to be out of your mind”. I swear I did, true fact. I’ve had a few shaky drives over the Malahat in the fog, the pouring rain and a poorly balanced tow setup that nearly swayed me off the road. I’ve used my share of Adult Depends while towing, but you sir should receive the Order of Canada. A sign of true skill, nerves of steal and cajones muy grandes.

.. I've found my truck seems to get much better traction with 500 hanging off the hitch.. Havent had to go far or stop fast though..

Sounds like a darn tootin' hockey stick hecken' good time!!!

I am impressed in the 4 runner however......and I bet the L made a few folks chuckle

Only once for me. Took Adrian Acoin and Jason Cullymore out fishing during the Allstar game break a few years ago. They stayed at the Empress in Victoria and we fished the Victoria Waterfront on the Saturday. Great fishing, limits of winter springs, calm water and even wrestled a seal for 1/2 hour and got a head back for our efforts. They said Jim Sandlack was waiting for a fishing report and if good he was driving over and would join them Sunday morning. I get up Sunday morning and it is blowing hard and raining in Victoria but no wind in Sooke. So I drive down to the Empress early to catch them before they head out. Change of plans boys you have to follow me to Sooke, the waterfront is to rough. I'm towing my 22ft Seasport behind a hopped up 72 Ford 3/4 ton sport custom. Built up 390 and 4 speed, 2 wheel drive. We get to the Luxton Fairgrounds and the rain changes to snow. It had been snowing out that way for awhile and instantly I'm on 3-4 inches with no highways maintenance so slippery as hell. I barely make it up the hill going past what is now Slegg Lumber and now have no choice but to carry on down to the flats to stop. They pull in behind and I tell them **** I'v only been on this for about a mile and I'm already white knuckling it. Sorry guys canceled. I get turned around and take a run back up to the top of the hill I barely made it up and now had to go down the other side. The boat was pushing the truck trying to push the butt end out either way to the side...I took the whole road coming down as there was no way to use any brakes and slow down for the curve at the bottom. Made it back to wet pavement, pulled over and said bye to the guys. Was happy to be out of that ****. I only had a few minutes in it...I can imagine how your trip went.

Back