Ideas for fishing trip

Big kingfisher

Hey they new member and first post.
New to salt water fishing and want to plan a trip for next year. Targeting halibut and lingcod.
will do some salmon fishing well out there as well
Was thinking over pender harbour area but again no idea on areas or time of year.
don’t want to spend the money with buddies to find out wrong area or time.
Thanks for any help

New to salt water fishing and want to plan a trip for next year. Targeting halibut and lingcod.
Was thinking over pender harbour area but again no idea on areas or time of year.
Thanks for any help
I’ve never fished down there first thing I’d do in your case if you haven’t already is use the search in this forum. Second decide on and area buy some topo maps and study them I found my most productive and favourite bottom fishing areas that way. Mine aren’t very big up on top maybe half a football field in size steep drop off on at least one side. Very satisfying as well as it’s not likely anyone will share a honey hole with you.
What make and size of boat are you running it might help someone with knowledge of the area point you in the right direction.
Good luck hope to hear and see some successful trips
Cheers Step

Definitely not looking for a honey hole. I’m a big hunter and know all about those questions haha. Just looking for a region and year time to start. Last I want is to pack up with buddies to find out wrong time of year or no target fish there.

I have a kingfisher 1825 falcon

If you are serious about halibut... check out JDS and Port McNeil north. Not much around Pender Harbour for halis.

The Strait got fished out pretty good for hali and ling. Key breeding areas were identified and closed for fishing, but stocks will take decades to recover. Most halibut caught these days are taken on the troll when fishing near bottom for salmon.

You'll find springs and lings around PH but very doubtful you will hook up with any halibut without running a ways up north.

Probably best to tow the boat to the Island and hit it from there, unless PH is where you want to go out from and in that case, just adjust your targets and have at it.

Thanks for the responds. I thought pender because it was close. My buddies want to go to Nootka
Do yourself a favour and listen to your buddies, you really can’t go wrong with Nootka. Well worth the extra few miles to get there. Lots of good area to fish in the size of boat you have.

What time of year are you looking to go, spring, mid summer late summer like August. Later in the summer the better for Chinook and weather wise. Halibut your going to have to get to the outside so it’s going to be very weather dependant especially with the size of boat you have. It’s going to be hit and miss. You might hit it lucky and it’ll be as calm as glass for two weeks or it could be blowing as well. Last summer it was pretty windy for the boys out there. What’s you budget, what’s your expectations for lodging. Lots to know from your end as well.
Im a big fan of Ucluelet myself. Lots of options for lodging and lots of options for fishing. Hali, Ling great salmon fishing and generous season as well. That’s a big thing now days you have to know the open seasons in areas that has to be a big factor in your plans.

I think bamfield is a good option if you're fairly new to Westcoast fishing. Its a whole different ballgame then Pender. Slightly more forgiving then Nootka. Nooka is really good also, I love salmon fishing, I rarely target bottom fish. Last year, one weekend, while trolling for salmon with out much success in nootka. I caught a bunch of ling and halibut.

Keep the boat at home fish your normal areas your boat. Hire a guide for a few days up island. That is what I would do. I would go to Barkley Sound myself. If you guys split it it work out great.

Or... Port Hardy area. Those would be my picks.

Also think about next year. Same restrictions will be on most areas. Pender Harbour and surrounding SOG will be heavily restricted for salmon with where it is.

I am doing my trip to Barkley again and possibly another one to Hardy.

Thanks for any help
I would try Winter Harbour for Halibut & Lingcod. best Lingcod fishing I have ever seen, decent Halibut and good Salmon fishing depending on the time of year

I would try Winter Harbour for Halibut & Lingcod. best Lingcod fishing I have ever seen, decent Halibut and good Salmon fishing depending on the time of year
Only thing I would mention to you about Winter Harbour is that if the weather comes up in your sized boat.... you are only fishing inside mainly for salmon. The westerlies up there blow harder and the seas are bigger, its a big water area that requires more skill than say Bamfield or Ucluelet.

Myself based on what you are saying would choose either Uki or Bam. Other boats to fish with if you want to go offshore for halis, lings in the rockpiles and salmon options both inside and out. If you want whitefish go earlier in the season. For just salmon go to Nootka in late July early August

There are a couple guys I know who fish smaller aluminums up in WH and yes if it blows up there is no sheltered water to fish except on the inside. Definitely pays to have a big heavy boat up there but there are plenty of days you can be fishing on the outside in nice conditions. Check the weather, plan on fishing in the morning and run for the Barn by Noon if the winds starts blowing.

Back