I the market for a gps chart ploter fish finder

Fish Camp

Today I made the choice to replace my vintage hummingbird depthsounder /fish finder on my 14' tinny and started shopping.25 hp has 16 amp charging.old depth finder was small and fit under 12"x14" aluminum plate (above or ceiling mount) that holds the rod& new to me electric down rigger to the gunnle.I am looking for a chartplotter gps fishfinder with volt meter and body of water temp with possability of through hull transducer and internal antena for gps .My friends what are availible? learned from going trough old threads garmin is hard to work with if you need stuff.hummingbird ctire are hard to find info.raymarine are (I belive out of my price range).I am campbell river /courtenay .and want to buy ,and know little to nothing about what is on the market for my price point of 600$ with chart capabilitys. more compact the better. thanks FC

Hi F.C. Unless I am misunderstanding part of your wish-list, you won't be able to get a "through hull" or "shoot through" transducer for your tin boat. You will have to hang it off the back, which is no problem.....Seeing as how you live in Campbell River (so do I), I suggest that you go down to Tyee Marine and speak with Roger. He deals with Lowrance and is extremely professional and knowledgeable . He should be able to get you into what you want and need. Good luck in your search....Pacemaker

The best thing for you to do imo is to go to the different knowledgeable retailers in your vicinity. Campbell River would be River sportsman, Tyee marine, Ocean Pacific , Sea-Com with possibly possibly others that I am unaware of. I am not familiar with those in Courtenay, so perhaps someone else has some insight. They all have working models of what they sell and are quite knowledgeable, so bring a bunch of questions with you. Just remember they are sales people. If you can get down to Nanaimo try Harbour Chandler.

courtenay @P.M. new lowrance hook 5 splitshot with nav chip 440$ all in (vs) courtenay@ CV.M new hummingbird 5 chirp G2 combo with nav chip 550$ all in . Ctire sells both units seperate from the nav chip at a higher price.

the lowrance 5, x = is depthsounder .upon my correction of last post the hook5 is acually a hook 5.2 splitshot .and how dose that differ from the hummingbird chirp?

I believe they are both chirp but don’t know the differences. I personally wouldn’t buy a hummingbird bad experience from the past

hummingbird 5 chirp G2 combo with chip. 1-has the gimble mount I am looking for in the instalation .2- has larger numbers on the display screen. 3- a volt meter in display 4- top end of what I wish to pay .5- one in ontario 2 week shipping. Lowrance hook2 5 splitshot 1- mount bracket is flimsy and I will need to modify for the instalation 2- harder to read display screen 3-thicker due to mount 4- no volt meter. 5- fits my budget. 6 - in stock.

so I went with the lowance hook2 5 splitshoot hdi,and I am impressed it took a week and many discourages attemts ,but i percivered.now with this naionics silver card that came in a combo (avertized a nav(+) card on box cover)are they the same ?I want to uplaod but I feel comfortable giving it away here first.I have one year suscription free to nv with purchace . Please help me with my purchase.how do I get tides insalled?how do I up load bathimetric(lakes) chart? I think i have what it takes with 2020 f25 14' hook2 5(+) chip,to do some damage.so was I better of with(x) a sail boat plotter sounder rather the fish finder modal?days available to get on the water will tell.

My son uses a chartplotter app on his phone and a portable sounder on his tinny that he can take in and out of the boat. The batteries last a season I was pretty surprised. Works great for him, you probably already have a phone and the app is cheap. There's also some pretty neat bluetooth transducers that connect to your phone, not sure the cost. If you had a tablet in a water proof case would be pretty slick with a large high def screen, no wires etc and easy to take in with you after a day on the water.

Running a 5" screen split is okay, the only issue is the chartplotter because the screen is so small when split you have to zoom in a bunch to see detailed structure and when running you can't see that far ahead which is a pain. If you want a fixed unit I recommend a 7" screen if you can swing it probably be in the 1000 dollar mark though. Sucks the extra cash upfront but you will appreciate the extra 2" when running split screen.

Last edited:
Back