I helped a fishing buddy with his in hull transducer today.

Aquaholic

Crew Member
Garmin transducer mounted via in hull without drilling holes. It was not reading properly so Garmin rep said it needed mineral oil in the void. I was handed the task, being fit and flexible, to do the honours. The boat is on a mud bottom so a dockside reading is not true and clean, so we will see how it works when we go fishing
tomorrow morning.

Boat: 3488 Bayliner Avanti Cruiser Series. Nice dance floor actually, a pretty good sport fishing yacht.

Attachments

• gq3.jpg
    gq3.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 122
  • gq2.jpg
    gq2.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 118
  • gq1.jpg
    gq1.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Rv anti freeze works just as well ......

Corey if your P66 is not working well then you have it installed wrong may just need tweaking or remounting ...
going in hull with a TM can work but you lose depth and sensitivity....

Garmin transducer mounted via thru hull without drilling holes. It was not reading properly so Garmin rep said it needed mineral oil in the void. I was handed the task, being fit and flexible, to do the honours. The boat is on a mud bottom so a dockside reading is not true and clean, so we will see how it works when we go fishing
tomorrow morning.

Boat: 3488 Bayliner Avanti Cruiser Series. Nice dance floor actually, a pretty good sport fishing yacht.
So there was no hole drilled. It is a shoot thru hull installation.

So there was no hole drilled. It is a shoot thru hull installation.
Correct, no holes drilled but this is actually called an in-hull installation method versus thru-hull where you do drill a large hole. I know you mean shoot thru hull as in the signal is shot thru the hull material. The Garmin rep that was on the boat talked about it like it is commonplace. Lots of methods to watch on Youtube, but here is a great detailed explanation about proper angle, cleanliness, surface prep etc. It shows the importance of having the top of the transducer level.

Last edited:
Garmin transducer mounted via in hull without drilling holes. It was not reading properly so Garmin rep said it needed mineral oil in the void. I was handed the task, being fit and flexible, to do the honours. The boat is on a mud bottom so a dockside reading is not true and clean, so we will see how it works when we go fishing
tomorrow morning.

I run a similar set up as well...I just use plain water. Mine is mounted pretty close to the middle and and under a step so I have easy access. The water does evaporate but i just take the cove off and top it up. I find this set up is more accurate.

Back