I have some questions.

Filletandrelease

Why is it pretty much impossible to buy salmon lures that do not come with a barbed hook?
Why can’t pacific salmon be reared in pens instead of Atlantic fish.
Why is a salmon tag a measly 6 bucks? Is this an untapped revenue source that could easily be increased more than 10 fold to enhance hatchery study and inception?

Why is it pretty much impossible to buy salmon lures that do not come with a barbed hook?
This is a small market it would cost manufacturers too much to cater to such small numbers-especially numbers of tightfisted/skinflint Canucks.

They are but don't do nearly as well as Atlantics in crowded pen conditions.

https://www.creativesalmon.com/

Why is a salmon tag a measly 6 bucks? Is this an untapped revenue source that could easily be increased more than 10 fold to enhance hatchery study and inception?
Hatcheries aren't any kind of magic bullet at best they are a temporary help.

From a post that asked a similar question.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/chinook-neutral-positive-fishing.71809/

Just going from memory but the salmon stamp has 2 issues. One was sorted out, kind of, that the amount of the stamp was changed from just being a fraction of the amount being directed to PSF to the full amount being directed to PSF. The second issue was to increase the amount of the stamp so that we could get more money to PSF. Years back they passed a bill called the user fee act that prohibits increases in user fees unless it was done by an act of parliament. That's a huge deal and very difficult to do. It's been tried by others and as far as I know the only thing that has worked was to increase the fee according to inflation. Currently, I think, that's what SFAB is now, and the past few years, trying to do.

I would think that the cost of the licence would run into the same roadblock as the stamp did.

Believe that is also the roadblock to a halibut stamp to buy back quota.

Does that mean an MP could put forth a bill to create a halibut stamp and increase salmon stamp costs?

Not sure as it's been years since I had to go through all that. You are welcome to dig deep if you want and here is a couple of links to help.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/user-fees-scott-brison-treasury-board-omnibus-licences-1.4066644

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/S-8.4/

This is a small market it would cost manufacturers too much to cater to such small numbers-especially numbers of tightfisted/skinflint Canucks.
I find this answer unacceptable. We are the market here and should not have to buy products that do not support what we need. I agree barbs may be a small problem in the whole issue but it is there. We need better forward thinking on topics like this. Manufacures can make gear without barbs just as easily. How many salmon fisheries are there in the world? If they want us to buy their product, then support us on issues like this. These guys make specialized gear for many different fisheries. No reason they can’t provide us options.

They are but don't do nearly as well as Atlantics in crowded pen conditions.

https://www.creativesalmon.com/
This just tells me it can be done. We need better forward thinking on something like this.

Hatcheries aren't any kind of magic bullet at best they are a temporary help.
Again , old answer for an old problem. We need better forward thinking on this issue. Our rivers can only be marginally repaired, climate change is here, salmon are under attack everywhere. We have a unique orca population that we need to take care of. As a matter of fact, the whole west coast is a unique place that needs equally unique answers and yes some gamble to save it. Maybe a campaign thru out BC as as start to protect and enhance our own. To hell with the politics of the dfo and fed govt.

Again , old answer for an old problem. We need better forward thinking on this issue. Our rivers can only be marginally repaired, climate change is here, salmon are under attack everywhere. We have a unique orca population that we need to take care of. As a matter of fact, the whole west coast is a unique place that needs equally unique answers and yes some gamble to save it. Maybe a campaign thru out BC as as start to protect and enhance our own. To hell with the politics of the dfo and fed govt.
Damn. My bad. Please open to expand DBs post for my whole answer.

Question 1 Because it's way more fun to tear up the boat looking for a set of pliers that aren't rusted closed to crimp the barb than it is to tie on a lure and chuck it overboard.o_O
Question 2 IMO More pounds of fish for the dollars invested with Atlantic salmon $$$ These companies don't give a **** about the damage thier doing it's all about the $$$:mad:
Question 3 Here is where I'm probably going to twist some nipples. Increase the Non-resident licence by 10 fold. As long as the money goes to salmon enhancement if folks can afford summer homes on the island and ferry costs they can pay more to fish.
As long as the money goes to the fish I think resident licenses should be at least doubled. Most I talk to would be fine paying more as long as we don't lose our fishing privileges. People aren't going to pay more for less.
If more money means more fish down the road I say bring it on. More fish for ALL fishers and more fish for the beautiful whales.Win Win
Think of the PR resident and Non-resident fishermen happy to pay more for licenses so there will be more fish to save the whales.Win Win

2. Raising pacific salmon in net pens poses a far greater threat to native salmon; the diseases are transferable, and escapee’s can interbreed with wild fish. These risks are alievated by raising atlantics.

3. A tenfold increase in stamp price would price many people out of fishing. A pay to play model doesnt seem ethical to me for the common recreational fisherman.

Question 1 Because it's way more fun to tear up the boat looking for a set of pliers that aren't rusted closed to crimp the barb than it is to tie on a lure and chuck it overboard.o_O
Question 2 IMO More pounds of fish for the dollars invested with Atlantic salmon $$$ These companies don't give a **** about the damage thier doing it's all about the $$$:mad:
Question 3 Here is where I'm probably going to twist some nipples. Increase the Non-resident licence by 10 fold. As long as the money goes to salmon enhancement if folks can afford summer homes on the island and ferry costs they can pay more to fish.
As long as the money goes to the fish I think resident licenses should be at least doubled. Most I talk to would be fine paying more as long as we don't lose our fishing privileges. People aren't going to pay more for less.
If more money means more fish down the road I say bring it on. More fish for ALL fishers and more fish for the beautiful whales.Win Win
Think of the PR resident and Non-resident fishermen happy to pay more for licenses so there will be more fish to save the whales.Win Win
Well sometimes a guy needs to twist a nipple. I’m with you on that one. 60 buck for a salmon tag is more than reasonable if.... and a very big if... that revenue goes somewhere needed, not a political quagmire or another frickin
study. As for existing salmon pens, that’s another story. We need enhanced hatchery options for our fish including on land and pen based. Maybe find a way to save the little ones headed out to the ocean after their first year before the gauntlet of seals get them. They could be introduced to the new environment and allowed to grow before release into the wild. Don’t tell me this can’t be done. I won’t buy it. Forward thinkers won’t either. We find a way. We will stumble and fail a few times but someone will get it right. As for the barb issue, it just pisses me off that tackle suppliers that depend on us to buy their products don’t give a **** about barbs. There is NO reason for barbs period in sport fishing.

Another fricken study...? So how do we expect to learn anything about the fish we want to keep around? If we aren't attempting to understand the fish, which requires research, then how can we expect to know what's needed to help them? Big increase in the salmon stamp with money directed through the PSF to enhancement, restoration, and research is what will help salmon. Changing environment means we need to keep adapting, and that means research.

Another fricken study...? So how do we expect to learn anything about the fish we want to keep around? If we aren't attempting to understand the fish, which requires research, then how can we expect to know what's needed to help them? Big increase in the salmon stamp with money directed through the PSF to enhancement, restoration, and research is what will help salmon. Changing environment means we need to keep adapting, and that means research.
Because it has been studied to death. It’s time for some aggressive action. Seal cull, enhanced hatchery operations, commercial and fn quota ideas. We can’t fix the rivers or the whales overnight but we sure as hell can make some immediate changes to start the ball rolling. A 6 dollar tag isn’t effective but a 60 buck tag might if used properly. Too many people say we can’t do things. I call bulls@(t. We can.

Believe that is also the roadblock to a halibut stamp to buy back quota.

Does that mean an MP could put forth a bill to create a halibut stamp and increase salmon stamp costs?
Any Member can and introduce a Private Members Bill as far as I know. Problem is most die from lack of support after first reading.

Why all the calls to raise the stamp or license fee? The stamp fees 100% goes to the PSF. If you believe it should be $100 or whatever great. Go donate that exact amount of money to the PSF. They will put it towards enhancement projects!

BONUS: If it is DONATION you may get a tax credit - You can give a larger amount! If the government raises fees there is no tax credit. Personally I think people should not advocate higher fees, and just use your own free will to decide what its worth to you and if you feel you should or shouldn't contribute some extra!

Why all the calls to raise the stamp or license fee? The stamp fees 100% goes to the PSF. If you believe it should be $100 or whatever great. Go donate that exact amount of money to the PSF. They will put it towards enhancement projects!

BONUS: If it is DONATION you may get a tax credit - You can give a larger amount! If the government raises fees there is no tax credit. Personally I think people should not advocate higher fees, and just use your own free will to decide what its worth to you and if you feel you should or shouldn't contribute some extra!
More bang for your buck and it’s guaranteed to stay out of General Revenue.

I dislike fee increases as much as the next guy but imagine calling the PSF and saying we would like to increase your revenue 10 fold and we the sport fishermen for BC want to make that happen. Put our money where our mouth is so to speak. Tremendous public relations. Take a look at the PSF website right now. Main page is about a fundraiser.
Again, thinking outside the box.

More bang for your buck and it’s guaranteed to stay out of General Revenue.

Exactly. license fees go into general revenue, and even if the government says they will put it back into enhancement, it is subject to their discretion and whim. Usually it just replaces other money they would have otherwise been put in from other sources. Better to donate to the PSF if you really want the $ going to enhancement and not to some government boondoggle to buy votes in Quebec!

So maybe a guideline for donating to the PSF is needed, kind of like the church recommending you tithe 10% of your income! An idea would be to take the value of your boat as a measure of your ability to pay, and take 0.5% of that value as a recommended donation. So if you have a $20,000 Boat you should donate about $100, and you will get a bit of a tax credit back as well. High rollers like Rain City with big expensive boats can afford to donate more ;)

People on this site and that take part in fishing conversations in the winter and pay attention to the issues are not the problem, They donate, they join groups and they donated in mass to the gofundme, the sooke net pen etc...

If everyone that fished donated $100 to PSF that would be great but how many actually buck up.
If it was added to the stamp all licensed fishers would pay and lets face it the license is the cheapest part.

Atlantic salmon farming not much different than all farming and fact cattle and chickens are raised in NA, not buffalo and grouse. Most do agree, all other issues of net pens aside, that domesticated native spp would be a bigger threat to wild stocks.

WRT license fee increases, it would be nice to imagine that all of the 300,000’ish license holders are conservationists, but I think we all know that isn’t the case. There should be tags for all significant spp targeted, the fees should be substantial and 100% of the tag fees should go to stock assessment, mgmt and conservation, similar to how 100% of the salmon tag goes to the psf. Such an approach would not only raise significant funds for mgmt and conservation in direct support of rec fishing, it would also more accurately identify #s of rec anglers who target the various sub-sectors of our fishery so that DFO can’t fudge things like halibut harvest/bycatch, prawn and clam effort, etc.

As far as barbless hooks go, count me as a dinosaur who prefers a mashed barb to a naked hook for fish holding confidence.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back