I-Command readout and guages dead

Englishman

I-Command readout and gauges dead

Not been out for a month as been having huge electric problems.

First the engine trim/lift behave intermittently. Would not go up only down. If you left if for a while it would sometimes work. Finally traced to the solenoid in my Evinrude Etec and replaced that yesterday.

In doing this work power switch was left on and the mechanic managed to generate a spark with his wrench. From that point on the I-Command read out and all the gauges refused to work.

He traced a blown fuse and replaced that but still all is dead.

Anyone any ideas??

Last edited by a moderator:
www.etecownersgroup.com/

The only place you need to go for ETEC troubleshooting.

Hey thx for this FB!! Replacing the solenoid did not solve the original problem, so I went to this forum.

Turns out exactly the same problem has occurred one several other folks ETECs as well. The clue is engine will always go down but not up (intermittently).

It is the tilt switch!! Basically a device to prevent "overlifting" of the engine. It is a pain and very difficult to replace that, so we have by-passed it with a staple. Switch is not really necessary as who is going to keep the engine lift button depressed until that happens?! Works great now.

Irony is need never have replaced solenoid at all and would not be in this position of dead I-Command/gauges if we had known about the tilt switch. I guess you cannot rely on professional mechanics!!

Not been out for a month as been having huge electric problems.

First the engine trim/lift behave intermittently. Would not go up only down. If you left if for a while it would sometimes work. Finally traced to the solenoid in my Evinrude Etec and replaced that yesterday.

In doing this work power switch was left on and the mechanic managed to generate a spark with his wrench. From that point on the I-Command read out and all the gauges refused to work.

He traced a blown fuse and replaced that but still all is dead.

Anyone any ideas??

Sorry to hear that Englishman. Was this at a licensed marine repair shop? If the mechanic damaged the electrical he should be the one fixing or replacing the gauges.

What's the situation now; is the boat at home with you or still at the shop?

This happen to me with my Yamaha kicker.Would go down but not up,ends up to be the connection between the motor and stern.wiggled it together motor came up.Got home and cleaned it up.this was causing other problems like not charging.all good now

Back