I am out!!

Jencourt

Walking away from this for my health. This website has been nothing but a source of negativity and recycled crap for too long. Nothing changes and nothing meaningful comes from it. I take ownership for contributing in that fact. Many of the good members have walked away, or heavily reduced their participation long ago. Just took me longer than them.

walking away from the sfac thing as well. The process for what it is meant to do is needed and although heavily weighted on the industry side (maybe not in bodies but in attitude and leverage) it has it's purpose and I have nothing but respect for those who put all the time in. Good Luck!

I have thought long and hard about what value participating brings me vrs the stress,negativity and depression that comes from it. Clearly I do not have the head for it, and have nothing to offer that will contribute to moving forward and actually create long term change. I was going to attend my area meeting one last time. As I am unable to find any effort on here ,social media or anywhere else to engage the area anglers and have them attend I see little point in my going as I am walking away anyway. If I have missed any effort made to engage I apologize,but I can not find any myself.

In regards to Halibut, the process is clearly stuck. I am no longer willing to continue in repeating the same year over and over again with no expectation of actually doing anything to change the situation. ( largest source of negativity and frustration ) . I suspect that wen they can no longer create a season that will not realize large losses in revenue, we will then see a greater effort to work toward accompanying some change to the current BS that has destroyed recreational halibut fishing. Yes I know that will have to come,for the most part, from outside the SFAB process.

Thanks to all who are trying !

Cheers: Ray

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your frustrations Ray. Always appreciated your input and heartfelt sincere appreciation for the gift we have - the rec fishery. I totally understand, and at times share, your frustration. Often wondering if we are making any headway.

The only thing that keeps me involved is the thought of what might happen to our fishery if good people simply stopped caring and trying to do something about it - no matter how futile it appears at times to be.

Best wishes.

walking away from the sfac thing as well. The process for what it is meant to do is needed and although heavily weighted on the industry side (maybe not in bodies but in attitude and leverage) it has it's purpose and I have nothing but respect for those who put all the time in. Good Luck!

Kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.

I see his point, been thinking the same thing. Just a bunch of dudes that contribute nothing but fluff for a “like” it’s turned into Facebook. It once was a great site. Like many great sites, too many guys hear about them and get involved with nothing to give and they become what this site is.

There’s too much negativity on this forum so what do you do?
Start the most negative thread of all time.
If you want positivity, watch exflyguy or reelslim build their dream boats. There’s also threads to tell stories about taking your kid fishing and show off your best catch. Politics are always gonna be frustrating!

There are a lot of great members on here who teach me so much every day! Thanks to all of you who are trying to make a change for the better.

Last edited:
There’s too much negativity on this thread so what do you do?
Start the most negative thread of all time.
If you want positivity, watch exflyguy or reelslim build their dream boats. There’s also threads to tell stories about taking your kid fishing and show off your best catch. Politics are airways gonna be frustrating!

There are a lot of great members on here who teach me so much every day! Thanks to all of you who are trying to make a change for the better.
Hi Stizzla I love your positivity enthusiasm and sense of humor I think you personify what I enjoy about this forum. I am on medical leave from fishing at the moment but when I have my new hip installed I would love to have the chance to fish together

Hi Stizzla I love your positivity enthusiasm and sense of humor I think you personify what I enjoy about this forum. I am on medical leave from fishing at the moment but when I have my new hip installed I would love to have the chance to fish together
You won’t have to ask twice!

You lost me at “many of the good members have walked away”. I guess the couple of hundred regular contributors on the site are “not good”. I think you’re expecting too much from a social networking site. Time for a Peroni.

Last edited:
I have learned a ton from this site and not all fishing related. I take what I like and skip the rest.

I have met some good people off this site and got some great tips .... and yes there are some Alpha dicks here who post late at night after too many wobbly pops but I just look at them as entertainment. The environment and fishing is changing rapidly so I just appreciate what it gives me. The alternative is .....watching more Jeapardy?

Sorry to hear your frustrations Ray. Always appreciated your input and heartfelt sincere appreciation for the gift we have - the rec fishery. I totally understand, and at times share, your frustration. Often wondering if we are making any headway.

The only thing that keeps me involved is the thought of what might happen to our fishery if good people simply stopped caring and trying to do something about it - no matter how futile it appears at times to be.

Best wishes.

My thoughts are the same as Searun. Good luck with yourself Jencourt.

Best wishes.

As both have said, best wishes @Jencourt. Always enjoyed reading your posts, not totally agreeing 100% of the time, but that’s what makes a forum like this great, different opinions. As @Stizzla has already said, I have also learned a lot from other members posts. There is some negativity but that is to be expected as some are just like that. To the majority of members that enjoy helping other members (us fishermen) become better informed individuals and therefore better anglers and conservationists, I applaud you. Not everyone is able or “willing” to go to public meetings, but a forum like this still gives them the information that may sway them one way or the other in regards to attending such meetings and if not, information at least to ponder.

I wish you all the best but hope you reconsider your decision.

Oly

Best wishes.

As both have said, best wishes @Jencourt. Always enjoyed reading your posts, not totally agreeing 100% of the time, but that’s what makes a forum like this great, different opinions. As @Stizzla has already said, I have also learned a lot from other members posts. There is some negativity but that is to be expected as some are just like that. To the majority of members that enjoy helping other members (us fishermen) become better informed individuals and therefore better anglers and conservationists, I applaud you. Not everyone is able or “willing” to go to public meetings, but a forum like this still gives them the information that may sway them one way or the other in regards to attending such meetings and if not, information at least to ponder.

I wish you all the best but hope you reconsider your decision.

Oly

Nothing wrong with this site. I continue to learn tidbits of information that help me out on this side of the border.

I am 71 years old and the boat, rod building, improving my fishing gear and techniques, maintaining the boat and upgrading the boat both in mechanical and electronics and in general just thinking about fishing keep me going and away from the recliner in front of the TV.

If anyone thinks you have bad Halibut opportunities in B.C., then move down to the south side of the border to Washington and try out our dismal season. The same for Salmon, our seasons continue to dwindle. I live on the east side of Port Angeles, up in the foothills, and can see Victoria from my driveway. I can spy on Constance and Border banks with the binoculars.

My latest fishing project is building big surf rods for fishing for Halibut from shore: 13 foot "Cape Hatteras Heavers" capable of casting a 8 ounce sinker with a big chunk of bait way out yonder. I have always wanted to catch a nice Halibut from shore, I will give it a try in the 2019 season.

It is a good site guys, keep up the good work.

been here a while myself Jencourt
, seen a ton of change , alot have came and left ,a few of us dinosaurs are just SFBC lookyloos now ,
some pretty funny **** here for sure.....
will miss your posts, and all the dirty work you were involved in , muchly appreciated.
you have my number if your out west lookin for good intel ,
some good white meat fishin out west this wknd :)

cheers
Felix

I can understand your frustration, I feel the same way sometimes. Now I no longer read the postings that turn into dung flung stories, in particular fish farms, referendum issues and the like. I love the actual fishing and boating stories and learn a lot of things. Once the topic turns into a polarized argument, that's it for me. There are lots of good threads and excellent participants on here though. IMHO moderators need to be quicker on the trigger at shutting down threads and suspending members who go over the line.

Back