hydraulic steering-(replacing o rings)

speydog

Bit of seapage coming out steering column. O ring kit approx. $75. Was thinking taking it apart, gauging rings and replace. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Check to see that your cap is the correct one. There are caps which are intended for breathing if you have a second helm. The plug has a small o ring which should be el cheapo to replace if that if the cause of your leak.

Single wheel, no drips or leak from behind, def. coming out from steering wheel shaft. Model 701 ram system.

The seal in the steering colum, as in the one around the shaft the wheel sits on? My seal was about 10 bux and changed in minutes by removing the plate on the front via three phillips screws. Put a bucket under the wheen to catch the seepage. DON'T TURN THE WHEEL! Then, top up with fluid. Then turn the wheel if you want, but if you turn it with the resivour half empty, it may put air in your system, I don't know for sure, but hade to do it on my H23 and it was a piece of cake.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Yes, it looks like steering shaft seal. Will have to pull apart, can bleed off air from connection at motor if needed. Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by speydog

Yes, it looks like steering shaft seal. Will have to pull apart, can bleed off air from connection at motor if needed. Thanks.

Fly at it, it's a joke. You MAY wreck the steering wheel getting it off, as boat wheels generally don't have the little threaded holes for a puller.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Originally posted by LastChance

Fly at it, it's a joke. You MAY wreck the steering wheel getting it off, as boat wheels generally don't have the little threaded holes for a puller.

After removing the steering wheel nut put a brass drift against the steering shaft & give it a good wack while a second person pulls hard on the wheel.(make sure he doesn't go flying when it pop's) It'll come off. Mosttimes you don't even nead the second person, you can use your knee's to push the wheel from behind.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

Came apart no prob. Just have to remove shaft seal. Was thinking drill some holes, put in some screws and pull.

If drilling the seal, might be good idea to have a magnet to catch the filings rather than have them drop thru the holes you drill to cause problems later !!

Pried out old seal and replaced, did not drill. A bit intimidating to replace gasket, several o rings, and seal but worth the effort, and savings. Thanks for the advice.

Back