Husky/Mohawk boat gas

Clipper

Does anybody know if the marine gasoline sold at Husky/Mohawk stations contains ethanol? All their pump gas does but I'm not sure about the marine version. I've been reading some interesting stories from boaters down south who have no choice but to use ethanol blended gasoline. Not good stuff in a boat, by the sound of it.

the problems are with older boats with fuel lines and systems not rated for ethanol, it dissintigrates the hoses and clogs filters, injectors, etc. making one hell of an expensive mess. newer boats and engines (should be everything 2005 and newer atleast) will be rated for it.

Just yesterday I was at the one here in Courtenay and was about to buy just standard gas for the boat when the attendant ran out the front door and told me not to use that fuel in my boat and to move over and buy the marine fuel because of the ethanol in the fuel.
It was fuuny because the guy behind me was buying the same gas for his boat. We both carried on with what we were doing. I don't always buy marine fuel as I may be tired and don't want to go inside and pay when I can use my credit card at the pump. Plus marine fuel is not always around. They won't put pay at the pump in here like they did in Campbell River because to many people try to put it into their trucks.

Correct me if I’m wrong but in BC the law as of Jan 1, 2010 is that all gas / diesel must contain 5% renewable fuel.
I did not know there was an exception for Marine fuel.

Anybody know the real answer?

I now refuse to buy any gas from the Courtenay Mohawk station.Last summer the attendant wanted me to hand over my drivers license AND my credit card before I filled the boat. I told him it was bad enough that I had to leave any card ID that could get ripped during the day hours, but I'd be damned if I would leave him my BCDL as well.
"Tough" was his reply. "Thems the rules" So I left... vowing to never use that station again.
Later during the summer I took the camper to Dawson Ck and back. not once did I encounter that BS again. Its no wonder that Courtenay had a rash of ID thefts and misuse of credit cards last summer.
With a BCDL and a credit card-- the low-life has everything he needs to rip you off.

Sorry for the sideways hijack, but its importnat that anyone buying marine gas at that station knows this

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Yes he said the marine fuel didn't have ethanol, and that the ethanol was going to cause me problems.

Hey CL, I have never had to leave anything but a credit card. That scares me more then the ethanol fuel does. I would have walked out as well. Often what I do is have a friend stand in the store while I get the gas.

You cannot trust a government that will not trust the people who voted them in. I hope BC's next election wipes those crooks right off the electoral map.

IMG_1445.jpg

are you guys sure it doesn't have ethanol Because the marked gas and diesel we get on the farm is the same stuff as at the pumps but with die in it. same as the card lock for marked diesel. it just has a little tank on it that injects the die as you pump

I just called them, they are going to get back to me with the info.

Also I inquired about going pay at the pump at our Courtenay location, and explained to them why. They said they would look into it.

I have read very scary accounts from US boards where they have been forced to use ethanol in gasoline. They recommend running a marine grade stabilizer with all ethanol blended fuels. The ethanol separates from the gas then then water accumulates very rapidly once this happens.

From what I've read if you own an older boat with fiberglass fuel tanks the ethanol can actually dissolve the fiberglass resin. Replacing these built in tanks is very expensive. Even if you have a newer motor and fuel lines the ethanol can dissolve accumulated fuel varnish in older tanks. So you better carry spare filters on the water if you are running ethanol with an older tank.

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

Yes he said the marine fuel didn't have ethanol, and that the ethanol was going to cause me problems.

That's good to know. Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

Here is a cool site. All about ethanol.

Natural Resources Canada:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/Publications/transportation/ethanol-awareness.cfm

Unfortunately, that site is only pertaining to its use in vehicles. Marine engines have only recently been designed to accept ethanol blended fuels. Ethanol blended fuels actually produce less horsepower. So you will end up burning more fuel compared to straight gasoline. Plus fuel is also required to cultivate and harvest the agri sources used to produce the ethanal.So the actual green benefits are somewhat offset when all factors are considered.

Sorry guys I cannot find anything that says coloured fuel is exempt from the new law that states 5% renewable fuel added. If a gas attendant says it contains no ethanol, well would you trust that he knows jack.

The sport fishing sector had to lobby in the states to get marine gas exempted from the new laws. I had just assumed we were not being forced to use ethanol in our marine gas here.

The last outboard I bought was an injected Merc 2 years ago. The dealer recommended when I bought it to always run stabilizer with the fuel. With ethanol side effects that is even more important now. A lot of the stabilizers contain ethanol, so look for a marine one that doesn't.

You know what happens when you assume…. You get fathers day cards.

More info that I have found.
Where does the coloured gas comes from? The bulk supplier blends regular and premium then adds dye. He then delivers to the retailer for sale as midgrade marked gas. Coloured / Marked / Marine it’s all the same.

Just confirming that it is really important to use marine fuel stabiliser. I didn't and it caused problems. Lesson learned. In Nanaimo, it can be found at Canadian Tire, Harbour Chandler, and Skippers Marine, for sure.

To much water, too little time

I just asked our Husky district manager about the marked marine gas at Husky and Mohawk stations. I am in the interior of the province however. The marked (marine) gas available in the Kamloops region is premium unleaded then marked (dyed) as marine fuel. There is no ethanol in that fuel. This info. is 2 hrs. old.

Back