Hurston Runabout restoration pics

TenMile

Took on a project this fall for my spare time. In-laws have a '70s vintage Hurston runabout up at the Lake that was purchased second-hand many years ago. Rod Tipton takes great care of the engine and makes sure its tuned and properly winterized each year. However, over the many years the hull has had the snot beat out of it, rubbing the dock mainly. At some point, someone repainted the hull -- looked to be with house paint or Tremclad -- it didn't stick. This summer while waxing it, all the paint peeled off and I finally decided to do this job right.

Here are some photos of the progress, the approach I took and list of materials I used.

Step 1 - removal of all fittings: The boat is 30+ years old from what I can tell and as such, the fittings were all but welded on from rust and corrosion. I borrowed a high speed zip-saw/grinder and basically cut away all the fittings that would not come off via a wrench. Biggest job was removing the old aluminum rub rail -- it had pitted and corroded so badly it was not worth saving. That job basically took 2 afternoons.

Step 2 - Sanding: The exterior finish was in rough shape. I took a random orbital sander with 60 grit paper and removed the exterior finish right down to the glass in most cases. Used a mask/goggles and did this job outdoors as the dust gets everywhere and I can't imagine it's good to breathe in.

Step 3 - Filling: Lots of screw holes everywhere -- on the gunnels, and for some reason even in the hull just above the waterline. Used an Epoxy putty and smoothed the holes out as best I could. Sanded everything again with #60, then #120.

Step 4 - Priming: Because I took the finish right down to the fiberglass, I also used the Interlux Epoxy Primer as a base coat to ensure that the topcoat would stick properly. This product is also best applied with a foam roller rather than a brush. I did 2 coats of primer and sanded between with 120 grit paper. After priming was finished, I then sanded with a #220 grit paper, washed the boat with water and cleaned with Interlux solvent to remove all residual.

Step 5: For Paint, I chose Interlux Perfection. It's a 2-part Epoxy paint that is applied with a foam roller and then "tipped off" with a brush. It really gives a sprayed on look, and looks like it has a clear coat applied to it as the finish is high gloss. There is a great "how to" video on the Interlux website. I applied 2 coats of Perfection and did this in my garage with the doors all open (it really off-gassed and stinks bad). No need to sand between coats provided that you follow the time guideline on the can.

Step 6 (I am at this step now): Re-install fittings (boaters-exchange was great for a bunch of used stuff in better shape than what I had). Trying to locate a new rub rail and windshield (the existing one is cracked and scratched -- will work if I can't get something better).

Here is the link of photos so far. Total cost to date has been $250 for paint/primer/solvent and about $50 for fittings. Replaced the "Delco" '70s vintage stereo that didn't work for $70 (see my other link on Jensen Marine discount) Rub rail and windshield still to come. Estimate will be $5-600 when done.

Pictures are up to Step 4 thus far -- will post more this weekend.

http://picasaweb.google.com/terry.pettigrew/HurstonRestoration?authkey=Gv1sRgCM-FoaPozMe5jQE#

Great Pics! I'm interested to see the finished product. I'd like to paint my hull this winter so i'll be waiting!

Yup-- what Fishnutz ses..... I am sure you can get some more productive years out of the old girl. Did you have to refurbish the stringers or transom?

Yup-- what Fishnutz ses..... I am sure you can get some more productive years out of the old girl. Did you have to refurbish the stringers or transom?

Transom is still in good shape. There are no stringers in this bad boy -- just a pure fiberglass hull and believe me, you can feel every ripple and every wave. This is NOT an ocean boat for sure!!!

Wow, I can't believe how smooth this roll-on paint came out! Is the paint very liquid that the roll on texture basically runs away? Very nice.

I found this explanation online on how these Epoxy paints work:

VOCs are liquids designed to evaporate at a set rate....usually quickly. The idea is for the liquid to remain long enough for the paint to self-level, but evaporate quickly enough to present a durable coating. VOCs serve as a vehicle for the paint pigment & binder and keep those pigment particles in suspension until the paint is applied, self-levels, and dries. VOCs also insure faster drying times.

It's a 2-part Epoxy paint that is applied with a foam roller and then "tipped off" with a brush. It really gives a sprayed on look, and looks like it has a clear coat applied to it as the finish is high gloss. There is a great "how to" video on the Interlux website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Transom is still in good shape. There are no stringers in this bad boy -- just a pure fiberglass hull and believe me, you can feel every ripple and every wave. This is NOT an ocean boat for sure!!!
You sure it doesn't have 4 small stringers? I have seen a couple of these done an never seen one without...they're kinda needed. Would explain the feel the waves thing. If you rebuilding I would put some in.

....And X2 for the foam roller. Done a few above the gunwales and it came out great with just marine enamel

You had me doubting myself, so I went out and checked again, and nope, no stringers. The hull is stiffened at the bow at stern by "stringers" of sort -- large piece of painted plywood that closes of the bow, and similarly at the stern. Bow is about 4' back from the point, and stern about 2' back -- otherwise it's just fiberglass. If this was an ocean-going boat I'd put some stringers on it, but given that it's run for 30 years as is at the lake, I'll call it good to go. Besides, the new epoxy finish probably doubles the strength of the glass :)

Almost done now. Just need to paint the bottom. Put the old windshield back on -- it's a little pitted and cracked, but a new one basically costs the same as the value of the hull. Also added a new AM/FM/CD stereo and a set of speakers from Jensen Marine (I posted a link to a 15% coupon code earlier in the year and it still works). Replaced the bow light, rewired everything, added some fuses and fixed up the rear light. Ready to float for another 30 years.

http://picasaweb.google.com/terry.pettigrew/HurstonRestoration?authkey=Gv1sRgCM-FoaPozMe5jQE#

Good job!

That bottom paint will finish that thing right off.......... Ill keep an eye out for the shiney HG off Sooke this summer:cool:

I might have enough black sitting in the shop (XXXBottomkote) If you want it.......(I would have to check first though..... might be enough)

Thanks LR -- yeah, if you have enough bottom paint laying around let me know. This boat only wets itself in Lake Cowichan -- we use it for towing the kids around in a tube or waterskis.

She might have worked for you...... A .25 gal would have been close..... Unfortunately it went thick. Not sure if you can thin it out?

Maybe one of you guys can help me out. I went with my father to buy a new boat in 1965! (I was 14 at the time) A 1965 16 FT. Glaspar bought at 7th and Main st., Vancouver, B.C. That shop was there for years but its gone now and I cannot remember the name of it. We went for a sea-trial out of Coal Harbour? and I still remember the salesman telling my dad "that whole new deep-vee fad will be over in a year" This boat is a shallow draft maybe 6" vee if that but it very stable on calm water to stand up and fly fish etc. Anyway....I still own the boat. It has a million hrs. on it. Both fresh and salt water. The transom and stringers are now rotten (very) I fully realize the proper thing to do is hold a Viking funeral with the appropriate food and drink available to all but if any of you had a web-site or a book for the transom and stringer replacement I would review it. I have all available wood working tools but no knowledge of the proper procedures. Don't feel too bad for me. I do have a fish-killin' 24' Searay just itchin' to get out there. Its sittin' on the trailer idling away right now!!! Thanks :D

I enjoyed the pics and how-to advice Tenmile. I have a new to me 1977 Whaler that also has flaking paint on top of the gelcoat. Re-gelcoating seems like a really big job when I already have to get new rubrails, siderails and replace a thruhull or 2. How would the Perfection paint stand up on the entire hull of a trailer boat (and on the deck)? Is it really a "topside paint"? Not really a fan of most bottom paints. Also which epoxy fillers did you use? Thanks.

I still have a 1974 11 footer I could use as for a trial run I suppose.

Hi excalibur, I rebuilt a 17.5 years ago with new stringers, transom and floors. Educationally it was great, cost wise i should have made a pond liner out of it instead, lol but it was worth it still. I bought a good starter book called "runabout renovation" http://bit.ly/t4ifOD and i got a lot of good info from west epoxy system how to manuals from West Marine. I used a lot of epoxy for the structural portions instead of fiberglass resin as much stronger and water proof although more expensive . The rest of the info i needed i dug through the internet or made it up.

Back