Hunting: 2011

Hunting season in review....

I'm a waterfowler at heart. I enjoy other pursuits but im a Duck killer before anything... and we had a good year! Even got after some seaducks this year and will be doing alot more of that this coming season.
While i didnt get off the island to do much but took advantage of the time here. Took a bear and 2 blacktails. Guess its time to refit the boat for winter springs and go catch a steelhead or 2 in the flow.
Heres some pics.

P1010526.jpg

P1010527.jpg

1.jpg

Oct282011lard.jpg

Do you eat those poor little things ?

View attachment 2868

poor things!! You obviously have never been attacked by a swarm of old squaws and harliquiens!! hahaha. Actually they are both going on the wall for a buddy. Seaducks although they arent that sharp require quite alot of effort to harvest trophy quality specimens. As they move the best when its crappy out, and there best plummage is in the winter months. We've been out in some really ******, cold, windy 6 foot swell days chasing them this year. Other then scoters which are decent eating, other sea ducks leave something to be desired as far as a table fair. So in the chuck we only shoot what we want for the wall. Although,tossed in the pepperoni pile you cant tell the differenece.

Lorne

Thanks for posting Lorne! Great cap to a season and send-off for the upcoming one.

I'm curious though; that's a hell of a lot of birds for one day. Man, you must'a been runnin' all over hells-half-acres to get'em. And to find time to build that blind and hire an RIB... ****, I'm going with you this year!

Santa's got nothin' on you buddy!

Nice PICS lorne where do you hunt the ducks??on the island? as I used to hunt them all the time until my hunting partner moved away about 6 years ago I like you was addicted to it but kinda sucks going alone. so put the deks on the wall and havent gone in a long time.
Looks fun good job on your season...thanks

Cool always nice to have yor "own" farm to hunt !!!! and not have to fight the crowds of other hunters shooting at too far away ducks and scaring them away.
We used to get permits to hunt whenever we wanted for an island dairy farm didnt matter when it was, the best time was when they would harvest the silo corn those geese even after a few of there buds got taken down would come back for more. good on you getting permission...

Wolf

I'm gonna hunt me down one of these! So sweet.
406790_10150583748326998_339763011997_11085934_871495756_n.jpg

That is the coolest shelf I have ever seen, any idea who makes it?

Nice birds LP1! Your pics make me homesick for southern Sask. We spent many hours in blinds with my black lab. Unlimited bird hunting land with land owners that are keen on having hunters thinning out the flying grain eaters.
What are the regs on traveling with firearms in a boat on the saltchuck? Is it any different than traveling on a lake for moosehunting for example.
Cheers

That is the coolest shelf I have ever seen, any idea who makes it?

Nice birds LP1! Your pics make me homesick for southern Sask. We spent many hours in blinds with my black lab. Unlimited bird hunting land with land owners that are keen on having hunters thinning out the flying grain eaters.
What are the regs on traveling with firearms in a boat on the saltchuck? Is it any different than traveling on a lake for moosehunting for example.
Cheers

Guns have to be unloaded till you are anchored. Cannot shoot from a boat under power of a motor.. I.e. the engine has to be off. However, Chasing cripples is another story and kind of grey area as you legally have to try and dispatch and retrieve any game as soon as possible. And well sometimes that requires a moving boat.

Guns have to be unloaded till you are anchored. Cannot shoot from a boat under power of a motor.. I.e. the engine has to be off. However, Chasing cripples is another story and kind of grey area as you legally have to try and dispatch and retrieve any game as soon as possible. And well sometimes that requires a moving boat.

Nice! I understand, do what ever you have to do to take care of a wounded animal asap..... been there before.

Anchoring..... Engine off......guns..... sounds like halibut fishing in Alaska:)
Im jealous of your island bird hunt.

Back