Hunting: 2011

Wow, some nice moose and great stories...while I'm stuck out east my parents have gone on 3 separate hunting trips in past 3 weeks, on most recent one got 2 mulie bucks and a whitetail doe...tons of pepperoni soon :D haha

So just got report from parents, in 2 days limited completely out, 1 mulie buck each, 1 whitetail buck each, and 1 doe each...AHHHH so rattled I'm not there :(

Congrats to everyone who has been successful so far this year!!!!

I am back from guiding and hunting for myself.

It was very humbling for me to not have an animal down in 7 days of guiding. Called all through the prime time, not a grunt heard, one cow seen up close and one good bull a long way away. Throw in two old men (72 and 82), miserable weather; snow, sleet, rain, wind and cold temp and we came up empty. Both guys had hunted with me before, one guy has hunted a total of 3 hours for two moose and the other guy 4 hours, so they knew what to expect....but not this First time in 11 years that I struck out......I was pretty bummed.....

On to our hunt. Met up with Yak (who is on here), three other guys and two Dad's from Manitoba and Sask for our annual moose hunt north of Fort St. John, where moose have to have three on the brow, or 10 total points (no draws this year)

First night called in this guy. He came in from along way off, stopped to thrash the crap out of a willow and gave me a good look at his antlers.

PA010047.jpg

The pressure was off and the Kill Bottle 11 was half finished that night....

Next up was a very green hunter, his first ever moose hunt. We quaded to a spot that over looked a valley of trees with an old cut on the far side. After BS'ing about the morning in "The Moose Motel" (we called in a huge bull that would only give us a look at his right palm...2 big points, nicknamed King Kong...) I let out a cow call, right away a bull answered and he was on a string, 10 min later he showed up, three on the brow and the virgin moose hunter was no longer a virgin.

PA050060.jpg

Thank god for these machines to pack moose out, much easier than the quad.

IMG_5026.jpg

The next morning the boys headed back to "The Moose Motel" to try and find King Kong.

They called this guy into 15 yards or so and another virgin moose hunter was no more. And he is not King Kong....who lived to breed another day

IMG_5033.jpg

Three good bulls in 6 days and we were heading home. Got checked by the CO and everything was fine, he even reached up and gave our quarters a little squeeze to find the ball sack.......

Great trip shared by great friends with some awesome experiences, memories that will not soon be forgotten.

The meat is cut, ground and wrapped, now onto making sausage and pepperoni in the coming weeks.

Cheers

SS

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post SS! Thanks! Now I'm really cryin'...

Way To Git 'Er Done Sitka!
7.gif

Cracked two Cherries and collected a literal Mountain of Munchies!

Doesn't get a whole lot better than that!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Nog

Great pictures. Makes me really jealous.
I didn't have any plans for big trips this year. With my wife and 13 yr old son getting their CORE this spring I made the decision to make sure I was a good guide for them this year.
They both managed to get 2 point mulie bucks in the Open season. A very proud man am I!
Now we will be putting in some more time to grab a whitetail or two. I even had to get a second freezer.
We're in the West Koots BTW being displaced from the Island a few years back.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 123
Hey Guys,
I'm no hunter but thought some might like to see this one, I managed a quit snapshot before it took off, Its been hanging around the hillside behind our warehouse since early spring we see it probably a couple times a week
what do you make of it, the other side has alot more brown on it

IMG102.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's Kool!!

A piebald deer on the LML, never heard of them being anything but a whitetail.

Great picture, do you mind if I post it over on BC Hunting???

Cheers

SS

Nope post away, this one is a resident of abbotsford to boot

I was doing some searching on this and stumbled across its baby picture so to speak,
there was a report done on it in the Abby news back in dec 2010 by a resident of the same area
pretty cool, if you compare the pics from the article to the one I posted looks like one in the same.
here's a link to the article scroll to page 4
http://issuu.com/abbotsfordnews/docs/sat_dec4_2010

That's what ya' get when a Dalmatian porks a deer!

Great pics, keep'em coming guys.

Could anyone recommend a good place to get deer pepperoni or sausage made in Nanaimo?? thanks.

For sausage dont know in nan but at lake cowichan the guy there is really good sorry dont know the name of it.
As for hunting was out around sooke yeterday deer running everywhere lookking for a nice one passed on a few forks and a smaller 3 DEFINATLY in full rut.

19 day till I head of to sask!!!!!!

Could anyone recommend a good place to get deer pepperoni or sausage made in Nanaimo?? thanks.

I really like hilliars for pepperoni and smokies. They also Vac. pack it for you, included in the price. Not that far from Naniamo, on highway 4 going to port alberni.

Back