Humminbird 788ci Combo????

AlK

With the many negative reports surrounding the newer Lowrance FF/GPS units I may consider the Hummingbird 788ci Combo.

Do any of you have any experience specifically with the 788ci or Hummingbird generally as to ease of use, reliability or service support.

Thanks for your feed back.

I seriously considered a Hummingbird when my frustration level with the Lowrance was going nuclear. The Hummingbirds looked like a big improvement over thier old bass fishing-only days. However, one thing did concern me. They have a twist-off disconnect for the display unit ( almost like a docking station for electronic devices) . Much easier than messing with those damn Lowrance connectors. BUT there was some play in the connection and I would not be suprised if, over time, the constant movement and exposure to salt air means corroded contacts. Wayne at Parker Marine in Courtenay swore that would not happen--- but he didnt convince me.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

CL, that is a good observation.

In one of the reviews that I read, the writer noted that he experienced problems when travelling in choppy water.

I would think that maybe a periodic squirt of a little dielectric spray into the connectors should take care of any possible corrosion.

Hi AlK,
Last year I bought a 788ci unit and was having a lot of problems with the sounder part of it. The GPS part worked real good but it turned out that the transducer was bad. I replaced the transducer and found it to work good. There is a setting on it for fishing in fresh water, salt water shallow and salt water deep and I forgot to change it one trip and every once in a while it would lose the bottom and not pick it up. There was only one trip where I was having problems with it, other then that it has been great. I almost spent the extra money for the side scanning unit but it will only work in shallow water .... not much good for the ocean and so far I like the 788ci unit. The manual has got to be over 200 pages long so there is a lot I need to learn yet. ... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Sea Ranger,
I wasn't aware that the side scanning only works in shallow water. I guess I should read the manual. From any reviews that I have read, it looks like there is good service support being provided by Hbird.

I hope you don't mind me asking where did you purchase your unit?

Thanks,
AlK

When I bought my sounder I looked all over for the cheapest price I could find and it was at:
http://www.threeriversmarine.net/catalog/item/2519364/6453397.htm
I did get it cheaper but servicing it might be hard. I did get a bad transducer with mine and they wanted me to return the transducer and the unit together for them to check it out and instead I just went out and bought a transducer to try and it now works great. Don't forget you have to buy the GPS card to go with the unit and that will cost about $200.00 and I bought that from West Marine.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Back