Huge Halibut in Norway caught and released

Very good fish.
Seemed like they were going to release it based on technique. Good on them.

Reel looked like a Calcutta 400?

Very cool!They seemed to know just what they were doing.Not an easy task I'm sure with a fish of that size.Great they
let her go to continue on laying millions of eggs.

Wicked video. I hope more folks learn from this great example of how it can be done. Kinda hard to argue it can't be done.

I didn't really pay attention to the gear they were using as I was too occupied with the really nice alloy boat :cool:.

Didn't look like a 400lb fish to me. That's one of the best things about letting them go.;)

Didn't look like a 400lb fish to me. That's one of the best things about letting them go.;)

Halibut are relatively easy to estimate weight. the fish that I have measured and weighed have all been within 5% of the IPHC chart. at 94" id say she was at least 400 lbs. A beauty fish and good technique by the crew

nicely done. what all of us should be doing with these breeder females. we should also be getting rid of the derbies which focus on killing the biggest fish. even the bill fish tournaments have recognized the need to release these trophy fish. snap a couple of photos or run your gopro and cut her loose.

Back