Huatulco Mexico

ChilliSpoons

Me and Mrs ChilliSpoon are heading to Huatulco at the end of February. We’ll
be staying at the Camino Real Zaashila on Tangolunda Bay. I’ve never been to Huatulco before but have heard nothing but good things.

I looked at photos and videos of the resort and the rock outcropping right beside the resort looks very fishy. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with shore fishing the area and could offer up some advice.

I figure if I take a spinning outfit with some buzz bombs and pixie spoons I may be able to entice something to bite at first or last light.

Last edited:
Forget the Buzzbomb almost anything else will work better especially plastics and bait as always start with the colour white.

Be Careful and Watch the Swell-the Oaxacan coast is a dangerous place and by the time you figure out you're in trouble it may be too late unless you're an exceptionally powerful swimmer and/or know how to deal with an undertow.

Offshore well decades of small scale longlining have hit local fish populations hard it's not the place it was once.

Forget the Buzzbomb almost anything else will work better especially plastics and bait as always start with the colour white.

Be Careful and Watch the Swell-the Oaxacan coast is a dangerous place and by the time you figure out you're in trouble it may be too late unless you're an exceptionally powerful swimmer and/or know how to deal with an undertow.

Offshore well decades of small scale longlining have hit local fish populations hard it's not the place it was once.

Thanks for the heads up on the dangers with under tows. I’ll be sure to pack some soft baits.

If you head further down the coast (cabs are cheap) past Bahia Conejos to La Bocana there is a river that come out, there can be some great Robalo (snook) fishing to be had. Also some wicked mud baths to be had on this beach, great for the wife while you whack some snook...throw iron at them as well
As DB states, offshore has lost quite a bit of the glamour, some folks from our condo went out while we were down this year and caught a nice Dorado one day and 5 smaller YF...

If you head further down the coast (cabs are cheap) past Bahia Conejos to La Bocana there is a river that come out, there can be some great Robalo (snook) fishing to be had. Also some wicked mud baths to be had on this beach, great for the wife while you whack some snook...throw iron at them as well
As DB states, offshore has lost quite a bit of the glamour, some folks from our condo went out while we were down this year and caught a nice Dorado one day and 5 smaller YF...

Cool thanks.

Is that river wadeable or walk and fish from dry land?

Me and Mrs ChilliSpoon are heading to Huatulco at the end of February. We’ll
be staying at the Camino Real Zaashila on Tangolunda Bay. I’ve never been to Huatulco before but have heard nothing but good things.

I looked at photos and videos of the resort and the rock outcropping right beside the resort looks very fishy. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with shore fishing the area and could offer up some advice.

I figure if I take a spinning outfit with some buzz bombs and pixie spoons I may be able to entice something to bite at first or last light.
a friend of mine was there a few years ago and he took his fly rod. he said you can hire locals down on the beach that will take you out in their pangas for not a lot of money. He said he was catching some smaller Tuna type species that fought really hard and said there was plenty of action.

Back