Howe Sound Prawn Thieves caught with photos

Robalo

Caught a boat pulling my traps up today. On the southeast side of passage island (next to Bowen). My Buoy from my trap was in their boat and they were pulling it up in their line hauler. Watch out for a Blue Kingfisher 1825 Falcon (Hull ID NT6296368). I yelled at them until they threw it back in the water and tried to speed away. Chased them down to get the Hull ID and snap photos of them. Just scum of the earth these people. See pictures of these low lives. My buoy is clearly labeled, some people are just the worst.

Attachments

• D2DF8424-3C49-4DEE-8B19-6C6DC12B7995.jpeg
    D2DF8424-3C49-4DEE-8B19-6C6DC12B7995.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 1,089
  • 6105D856-9414-41E3-85AB-041330CB54B0.jpeg
    6105D856-9414-41E3-85AB-041330CB54B0.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 7B89F635-C178-4DB3-B8AB-FAAB07ADFC3F.jpeg
    7B89F635-C178-4DB3-B8AB-FAAB07ADFC3F.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 1,004
I’m assuming you called the rapp kind to report them. Nothing will happen to them until they are caught red handed but DFO enforcement needs multiple reports

Last edited:
Imo dfo needs to do something like "bait" traps and catch people. That would mean immediate consequences and the penalty has to be severe enough. Doesn't have to be done regularly just random intervals.

That's brutal. They don't even seem concerned that you're taking pics!

I hope you called the DFO Observe and Report line (FYI: 1-800-465-4336). I've had good luck with DFO taking reports seriously in the past.

I bet if somebody did get seriously hurt they would start taking things more seriously. Would make a great news story.

"Man loses both hands after he's accused of poaching someone else's prawn trap. We dive deeper into this fishy practice after the break"

Last edited:
Before this goes any further, a reminder from our posting guidelines. Suggestion or promotion of illegal activities is prohibited. For those of you suggesting taking the law into your own hands, I will remind everyone that this site, like all public sites, is monitored by law enforcement people and we have been contacted in the past regarding posts by individuals that are threatening in nature. If you say it publicly here and then something of a similar nature were to occur, your words here would be used against you.
Report the people involved in any unlawful act to the proper authorities. With no disrespect to the members that start these threads, there is nothing that is going to change by posting on any social media, so your energy would be better spent hounding the law enforcement agencies until they get sick of hearing from you and perhaps act on your complaint. Further, we walk a fine line with accusations made here, as a few pics and words are still just hearsay at this point. Again, I have no reason to doubt the OP here and I am not suggesting anyone who posts on these events is lying, but an accusation with a couple of pics doesn't prove automatic guilt either. As a public forum we are vulnerable to a number of issues that can arise from these accusations as well.

I just don’t understand that. You spend all that money on a nice boat, maintenance everything that goes along with it. Your allowed 4 traps per person. It takes just as much effort to haul someone else’s traps as it would just to haul your own. Why do that. And the smirk on that guy’s face. Makes my blood fricken boil.

Nothing wrong or illegal with coming right aside their boat, having my fishing partner tie up to their boat while I jump onboard. Take back my gear and then just sit my butt in their boat for the rest of the afternoon. No need to resort to violence but a strong message needs to get across.

I reported it to the RCMP last night. Had the best experience with the officer/constable he took it so seriously and took all of the information from me. He will follow it up with the DFO. Could not have been more impressed by the RCMP of Bowen island. (Waters around passage island are under their jurisdiction apparently). I had my wife three little kids all under 8 on the boat with me it was a very tense situation. Glad the RCMP took it so seriously.

Caught a boat pulling my traps up today. On the southeast side of passage island (next to Bowen). My Buoy from my trap was in their boat and they were pulling it up in their line hauler. Watch out for a Blue Kingfisher 1825 Falcon (Hull ID NT6296368). I yelled at them until they threw it back in the water and tried to speed away. Chased them down to get the Hull ID and snap photos of them. Just scum of the earth these people. See pictures of these low lives. My buoy is clearly labeled, some people are just the worst.
Saw that boat at horshoe bay yesterday

does this boat dock in horshoe bay?
if anyone knows where he ties up as home port , please post.
nothing illegal , we just want a interview and photos.
i think ADMIN on here has to come to senses and lighten up.
stop playing on wrong side of the fence.

Before this goes any further, a reminder from our posting guidelines. Suggestion or promotion of illegal activities is prohibited. For those of you suggesting taking the law into your own hands, I will remind everyone that this site, like all public sites, is monitored by law enforcement people and we have been contacted in the past regarding posts by individuals that are threatening in nature. If you say it publicly here and then something of a similar nature were to occur, your words here would be used against you.
Report the people involved in any unlawful act to the proper authorities. With no disrespect to the members that start these threads, there is nothing that is going to change by posting on any social media, so your energy would be better spent hounding the law enforcement agencies until they get sick of hearing from you and perhaps act on your complaint. Further, we walk a fine line with accusations made here, as a few pics and words are still just hearsay at this point. Again, I have no reason to doubt the OP here and I am not suggesting anyone who posts on these events is lying, but an accusation with a couple of pics doesn't prove automatic guilt either. As a public forum we are vulnerable to a number of issues that can arise from these accusations as well.

First of all thank you for all of your amazing work moderating, editing and keeping this forum and site such an amazing resource, it’s not an easy job. I fully agree that we can’t take the law into our own hands, that’s why I took pictures and reported appropriately. But respectfully, I really have to disagree with you on your other points. The amazing community of members that you support here on your site deserve to know about unscrupulous, dishonest and despicable people like the ones my family encountered yesterday. Forums like this and social media are one of the few ways individuals can be heard in this day and age, more information is always better. People can be that much more cautious if they see this boat in their vicinity. As for it possibly being hearsay the first picture could not be anymore clear. There is no reason for this boat to have my clearly marked float/buoy in it. Especially attached to their line hauler. This isn’t a picture of a boat after the fact it is in the process of the crime being committed. Again thank you admin for all you do.

From the direction they took off towards the North Arm of the Fraser. I would guess they launch at McDonald Beach.

Be careful tho - you can come alongside any boat - but the minute you grab their boat or their dock - those items are private property. Trespass is a charge. And it you threaten anyone - that's a charge too. Assault is a charge, as well. Pictures/videos - always best. And as they say on cops" "all people are considered innocent until proven is a court of law" wrt allegations on a public forum - which may be the reason for admins nervousness.

Back