How to Troll for Sockeye?

lgraham

Was wondering if anyone has any tips they wouldn't mind offering for sockeye trolling? No one trolls for sockeye up here so I really am clueless on how to catch them. So far I've seen that most troll very slow with red/pink squirt hootchies. Just wondering though what kind of flashers, leader length, and speed most people use while fishing. Also any other techniques would be greatly appreciated (I've also heard that dummy flashers are very effective). Anyhow, any general tips on trolling for sockeye would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Luke

I like to double up on the riggers, have the stoppers set 18 feet apart, short set back off the rigger 15 feet( adjust if others are catching and your not). Myself I like using hotspot flashers red or green. leaders around 28 inches, and troll slooooow, dead slow.

There's probably lots of info on here if you search for it. Here's the basics as I see it....short leaders (24" works for me) MP15 squirts...lots of different pinks work. Run as much gear as you can...the more flash the better. I run 4 rods with a dummy flasher off each ball. I don't slow down much from my usual troll, but you need to play around with this if they're not biting. Any flasher color works but I lean towards purple haze. It's f'n easy to hook them when they're schooling, can be tough to land them...we've had plenty of days when we only landed 1 of every 4...that's what makes it so fun!
Oh and stack them 15 feet apart and fairly close to the clip...you're trying to create a school of flashers

Last edited by a moderator:
Was wondering if anyone has any tips they wouldn't mind offering for sockeye trolling? No one trolls for sockeye up here so I really am clueless on how to catch them. So far I've seen that most troll very slow with red/pink squirt hootchies. Just wondering though what kind of flashers, leader length, and speed most people use while fishing. Also any other techniques would be greatly appreciated (I've also heard that dummy flashers are very effective). Anyhow, any general tips on trolling for sockeye would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Luke

where is "up here" ?

where is "up here" ?
Probably Alaska-they have internet there too you know.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't Give Up!

The bite comes & goes they are the oddest Salmon ever-dead slow is the way to go-Yes you'll catch fish going your regular speed but you'll catch more going slow throw out a bucket or two if you have to.

Here's some Sockeye gear-leaders are anywhere from 18" to 26" usually- flashes use whatever but I like Glo.

IMGP3262_zps395a5332.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably Alaska-they have internet there too you know.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't Give Up!

The bite comes & goes they are the oddest Salmon ever-dead slow is the way to go-Yes you'll catch fish going your regular speed but you'll catch more going slow throw out a bucket or two if you have to.

Here's some Sockeye gear-leaders are anywhere from 18" to 26" usually- flashes use whatever but I like Glo.

IMGP3262_zps395a5332.jpg

I don't find it too odd when you consider what they eat - krill/plankton are much slower moving than the herring/anchovy/needlefish that chinooks and coho chase. These guys have given you some very good pointers though, dead slow, I honestly don't think colour of hoochies/squirts matters much, they are dumb & tasty!

Couple of my favourite Sockeye flashers below, as you can see they are pretty opposite which is why I don't think color matters too much.. first 2 pics are of a rainbow striped Big shooter blade which I slapped some red mylar onto the back of, second 2 are of UV-blade with monkey puke tape on one side and mirror silver tape centred by a glow strip on the other...

I've only fished sockeye off the North & South arms of the Fraser River, so take any of my advice with a grain of salt.. good luck!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95555777@N05/9187596454/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95555777@N05/9187592698/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95555777@N05/9187579590/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95555777@N05/9187585076/

Thanks for all the help guys, and yea by "Up Here" I mean in Alaska. Unfortunately our spring fishing isn't that great up here right now. So I figure I might as well fish for sockeye instead right. On another note, I saw a video that mentioned when trolling for sockeye it's best to use all the same gear (hootchie/flasher combos). Is there any truth to this or is mixing it up best until you find the right combo?
Cheers,
Luke

Thanks for all the help guys, and yea by "Up Here" I mean in Alaska. Unfortunately our spring fishing isn't that great up here right now. So I figure I might as well fish for sockeye instead right. On another note, I saw a video that mentioned when trolling for sockeye it's best to use all the same gear (hootchie/flasher combos). Is there any truth to this or is mixing it up best until you find the right combo?
Cheers,
Luke

I always mix it up.. Seems sometimes they want hootchies and other times spoons is their choice. I like to start the day with 4 different rigs and see what produces. Then change everything to that. For myself I have found 27-30 inch leaders on hootchies and 36 inch on spoons.

Good Luck.

Back