How to tell if a Chinook is red, white, or marbled?

Enniberg

I am wondering if there is an easy way to tell if a Chinook is red, white, or marbled - without harming the fish?

I honestly don't care for the white or marbled fish, and since they are often big, it becomes a bit of a pain to consume them. We will keep any legal fish that is bleeding, but if there was an easy way to tell if an unharmed fish was red or not, I would love to be able to let the white ones swim on. Any advice?

call me nuts, but the whites have a distinctly different smell that I can pick up on right away

I guess we caught a 'marbled'? It wasnt nearly as white as I have seen but not nearly as red as most springs. Dont know if you can tell by shape but it's body shape was more a 'football'?, hatch, very fat but short... and quite goldy...

you can tell at the bottem where the gill covers join together.. the chin ... smell and even the colour of the fish will give it away

You can usually tell by looking at the plate under their gill cover (challenging to describe), but if you have gotten to that point you should just keep the fish. Once you have netted a fish and are dicking around with it in the boat you have severely decreased it's odds of survival. Not sure if folks have mentioned it before as I am new to this site, but netting fish that you intend to release is detremental to their survival. The best bet is to have a good look at it in the water to determine species and origin (hatch vs wild if applicable) and make your choice then avoid taking it out of the water if you intend to release - unfortunately I know of no way of determining flesh colour before hauling a fish into the boat.

While I am generally impressed with the fishers around sooke (and this site) and their clear passion for conservation of our resource, I am also equally amazed at the number of fish I see immediately netted when the odds are stacked against the fish being legally retained (as in coho right now - wild release). My point is, bring what you intend to keep into the boat....the rest get a quick release at the side of the boat.

I was once told a valuable analogy in terms of releasing fish - imagine you just ran a marathon and at the finish line someone then dunks your head under water... that`s how the fish is feeling for as long as you choose to dick around with it or hold it up for pictures....

ILL take them off your hands... I LOVE white springs and especially now that I have my own smoker want them even more,the (one that I built holds 8 oven racks) You keep them toss them to me and ill smoke some up and make sure you try some and see if I can change your thinking ,,,, sound good???

Gotta agree with Wolf, I prefer whites for smoking. I've taken them to St. Jean's - they will skin, debone, smoke and can them - no better smoked Chinook than whites.
Try it
Stosh

Killed a marbled out on big bank two weeks ago. It was distinctly different than the other springs we boated that day. Hatchery fish with a real football shape, small head for it's body and a bit of a hooked jaw. also a little different color. Hardest fighting fish of the day and tipped the scales at 17lb even (caught others up to 27lb on the day). That was my first marbled fish but if they all look like that one, I should be able to recognize them in the water.

Cheers,

Unfortunately they don't all look like that. Many early season springs around nanaimo are marbled, and someof teh features you have described are less discernible. Still yummy though.

there were springs we boated this weekend that i didnt know were whites , till i got back to the dock this weekend ,
know they didnt smell , and i physically, didnt catch the diiference from a red ,

im sure the " Big Dogs" or pros might have there ways .....prob call me a jak azz lol,,,

heres how I tell them apart , next time your at the cleaning station , raise the gill plate away from its lower jaw or chin neck area , now
have a peek under its gills , look at its inner chin , on the inside , the skinny tringular part that runs to its lower lip kinda , if its a white , it will be white , if its a red it will be orangy or red in color , its the body meat color showing through its very translucent thin skin ,

it takes 2 guys that know what there doing on the water to do this without injuring the fish , using wet slimy hands prevents injury ,
never netted , always handled with good quality handling gloves , ive yet not to see a fish swim effortlessly away , when released ,
i only do this if i absolutely have to , if my fish box starts ta get more whites than desired , i try ta pick and choose the non bleeders, healthy ones for release...
i know i will get flack from a few of the fish huggers on here , but it is what it is lol , the fish are NOT harmed..
id be more worried about the thousands of wild bleeding Coho released personally

i strongley suggest ya practice on your table fish first ,able ta tell them apart efficiently , you will see what im talkin about ,
i will try and take pics this week for yuzz

hope that helps , it does work

edit.....sorry , see dapper snapper already touched base on this,,,

fd

so are these 'white' fish just over the hill in terms of their getting ready to spawn?? I have never understood this meat color and until last year had never harvested a 'white' fish. so what theories are there regarding the 'why' of this color????

I like eating white Springs. Also it's fun to feed it to people who've never seen or heard of it to see their reaction to it. Some are amazed and love it, some are really put off by it. It's interesting.

I bonked a big white a few yeas ago and we were serving it up at a backyard BBQ. One lady returned with her plate to my buddy who was running the BBQ complaining her fish was not cooked because it wasn't red. :)

1st world problems.... LOL

I wish I had the problem of catching so many springs that the ones I dont prefer take too long to eat

Just smell them you will learn the scent. Red and whites smell totally different. Then there is coho it has its own smell. The only fish I hate identifying is sockeye and chum in early season...

Almost every fish I caught early in the season this year was white or close to it marbled. All from April till last week even most in the 20 pound range. I prefer the white for the fat content and as many have said smoked it really shines over the others. Out of around 15 fish this year most at a glance are hard to tell,they very in shape, size ,smell and color. I think the shape of the fish are not very good indicators there are too many different rivers and i think most salmon from a certain area tend to look similar. 2CEnts

I really don't think you can tell by size or shape of the fish. a look under the gill plate is the test.
I'm guessing that fish was a white

Back