How to rinse mooching reels & line for winter storage. ??

Morty

Looking for advice on how to prep salt water mooching reels for winter storage. Would like advice about if & how the line should be rinsed as well.

I run mine under the tap for a good period of time and try and get the line as best you can. Make sure the water isn't too warm or if will melt the grease. Cold water is fine. After a good rinse I put them on a towel over night to dry and put them in their cases until Spring or whenever I feel like servicing them.

Tighten down the drag then rinse thoroughly under a moderate flow of lukewarm water, loosen drag and leave to dry.

I run mine under the tap for a good period of time and try and get the line as best you can. Make sure the water isn't too warm or if will melt the grease. Cold water is fine. After a good rinse I put them on a towel over night to dry and put them in their cases until Spring or whenever I feel like servicing them.
Tighten down the drag then rinse thoroughly under a moderate flow of lukewarm water, loosen drag and leave to dry.
I've read somewhere that salt crystals can accumulate down in the line on the spool and wear the line with use. Any thoughts on using Salt-Away? would that leave a negative scent on the line?

I would just rinse well with lukewarm water and let it air dry like others have said. You are overthinking this, bud. Good luck with the surgery and hope you get back on the water soon.

I put mine in the shower with warm water running while I clean the rest of the boat out. Then air dry with drags loose always

I've read somewhere that salt crystals can accumulate down in the line on the spool and wear the line with use. Any thoughts on using Salt-Away? would that leave a negative scent on the line?
I'm sure a bit of salt can get buried deeper on the spool. You could try just rinsing longer but not sure if I would use salt away? I use mono and replace my line every year anyways and don't see a lot of salt when I do. If you are running braid I can see this being more of an issue.

Wish I could. Have hernia surgery Wednesday and won't have a towing vehicle till May :-(
Did ya sell your towing vehicle thinking you had to pay your hernia. You know your hernia is covered in Canada if your a Canadian Right !
Good luck ....

Did ya sell your towing vehicle thinking you had to pay your hernia. You know your hernia is covered in Canada if your a Canadian Right !
Good luck ....
Thanks for your well wishes Sir.
No I didn't sell a vehicle :) FYI, private/paid hernia surgery is not available in BC any longer. Some private ORs stopped because of government/MSP regulations, and others stopped because cosmetic surgery etc is more profitable.

As to vehicle, I have chosen to either borrow or rent tow vehicles when needed. I decided my best use of money is to pay a couple hundred dollars a day for rentals whe I need, than to tie-up $60,000 to $80,000 in a depreciating asset (truck). Another benefit is that I'm not burning excess gas on daily driving. (rather have the money for boat and gear...) The last one the rental company gave me was a new $100k diesel with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks everyone for the advice. All rinsed and dry now.

Really appreciate the help this group gives each other.

No I didn't sell a vehicle :) FYI, private/paid hernia surgery is not available in BC any longer. Some private ORs stopped because of government/MSP regulations, and others stopped because cosmetic surgery etc is more profitable.

As to vehicle, I have chosen to either borrow or rent tow vehicles when needed. I decided my best use of money is to pay a couple hundred dollars a day for rentals whe I need, than to tie-up $60,000 to $80,000 in a depreciating asset (truck). Another benefit is that I'm not burning excess gas on daily driving. (rather have the money for boat and gear...) The last one the rental company gave me was a new $100k diesel with all the bells and whistles.
And you don't have to care when you dunk the rental in the salt!

Which rental company did you use? I'm tossing this idea around as well.

Back