How to reduce the bouncing/pounding of an aluminum boat

Personally I hate foam. I prefer sealed bulkheads over foam. With proper stainless drain plugs. At least you can repair the hull if need be without a complete nightmare dealing with foam. Also sealed bulkheads will not only save your life, but actalually prevent moisture build creating weight where you dont want it. If a boat needs weight in one end or another it's easy to add.

Trim tabs and a trim guage for the main, really allow the captain to fine tune and know where the sweet spots are for comfort and efficiency with ease. My 2 c

2 lb residential spray foam is closed cell. Air trapped in cells isn't in contact with ambient air so there is no condensation.
The critical issue with closed cell foam is if there is a leak into the insulated space - there is nowhere for the water to go and you have no way of knowing about the leak. In construction we always design foamed cavities to have a drainage path and ability to drain.

Got my answer from Kingfisher today. I would have preferred the answer to be that they do not spray them. It’s something I will keep an eye on and like I say with the full cabin and cells there shouldn’t be a lot of room for water to get in. On top of that it’s pretty much a shop queen lol so it stays pretty dry.

KF does indeed spray "closed cell" foam in the bottom of our hulls for sound dampening purposes. Closed cell foam is made up of cells that are, as the name suggests, completely closed. The cells are pressed together, so air and moisture are unable to get inside the foam. Because of this, closed cell foam is much more stable than open cell foam.

No one sprays open cell foam into a boat.... but even closed cell foam breaks down and absorbs water. Manufacturers take advantage of foam... for smaller boats its required by regulation in the USA (not sure about Canada), for bigger boats it makes the boat seem much more solid than it is... and the liabilities it creates are the customer's, not theirs.

I understand due to the weight, aluminum boats are more subject to bouncing. I usually add some weight to the bow of the boat and that helps. I'm also thinking of adding trim tabs to my 22' boat. Is that all I can do to help reduce the bouncing?
Tell your asshole friends to come sit up front with you.....not on the transom lol, I do it all the time

Aluminum boats ride rough. Unless they weight in. Foam might dampen the noise. The hull is the hull. Anyone here ever repaired an aluminum hull that was full of foam? Nightmare. Stuff is super flammable too.

Its a tinner until they ever design a flared hull instead of a plowing hull they will always pound been in almost everyone of them only thing you can do is trim it down and slow down to minimize the pounding, why do you think most come standard with a suspension seat..its just the way it is

Wolf's right, it is a lot to do with the hull design, especially the bow. If the bow is narrow/sharp, deep and with less of a rake it will cut through the water - like a big Hourstan Glasscraft. If it is wide and flat with a high degree of rake (like a lot of the US river boat designs) it will smash into the wave, not cut through it.

Personally there are a lot of factors of any boat that pounds not just aluminum. Under a certain size and hull design an aluminum will pound. After you are out of the smaller style river boat hulls there are definitely boats that are close to similar to glass. Of course this is going to sound like I’m pumping my own tires here but my boat rides great and doesn’t pound unless you get a sharp wave that hits quarter to the bow. I do have spray closed cell foam with a barrier coat. The builder also put a drain channel down the bottom of the boat to allow any condensation to drain to the bilge in the pod if needed. I have tabs but don’t use them to keep the bow down but for small adjustments depending on people on the boat etc. Anyone who has run offshore with me is blown away by the ride. The same people have been on lots of popular guides boats in the area and are impressed. Far too many factors in the whole pound situation imo. Going from glass boats to this build laying out some money I will admit I was concerned until I actually got to drive it. It’s a pleasure to go out in in all water types. I know some chest pounding but in my case I will argue some of the broad statements being made. I’ll be in Renfrew all summer so come for a ride....lol. But I’ll warn you it could be an expensive ride if you decide to have one built! Lol

Last edited:
Personally there are a lot of factors of any boat that pounds not just aluminum. Under a certain size and hull design an aluminum will pound. After you are out of the smaller style river boat hulls there are definitely boats that are close to similar to glass. Of course this is going to sound like I’m pumping my own tires here but my boat rides great and doesn’t pound unless you get a sharp wave that hits quarter to the bow. I do have spray closed cell foam with a barrier coat. The builder also put a drain channel down the bottom of the put to allow any condensation to drain to the bilge in the pod if needed. I have tabs but don’t use them to keep the bow down but for small adjustments depending on people on the boat etc. Anyone who has run offshore with me is blown away by the ride. The same people have been on lots of popular guides boats in the area and are impressed. Far too many factors in the whole pound situation imo. Going from glass boats to this build laying out some money I will admit I was concerned until I actually got to drive it. It’s a pleasure to go out in in all water types. I know some chest pounding but in my case I will argue some of the broad statements being made. I’ll be in Renfrew all summer so come for a ride....lol. But I’ll warn you it could be an expensive ride if you decide to have one built! Lol
Jaxoncraft are wicked aluminum boats, you can’t compare a smaller tin boat to those bigger bad boys

Back